Carruth on Two Ales Podcast

Mazzoak

If that’s the case, I hope Bowns doesn’t suffer a repeat of the same injury woes that occurred at the start of his Euro career. I was critical of the work load Bowns had at the Devils, would an older version be able to continue that role or will they share with a decent backup. I’m not so sure, I’d have kept the powerhouse Carruth was, built a cage in the corner of the changing room. If we don’t improve our defence, scoring potential then any netminder not up to Carruth standard is going to make for a tough year.

Hockeymad

131 goals against us all season is decent!
We had the second best defence in the league,

Our scoring needs to improve but defensively since o connor left we have been good

The injury Ben sustained at Gratz was unfortunately "One of those things". I'm sure the replay is still on youtube, effectively two or three players all fell on Ben and he was also on one of his posts. The only part of him with any option for 'relief' was his knee and in his own words something 'Popped'. It's also worth noting that he came back quicker than expected and finished the season well.

Though I completely agree that Ben's workload from years gone by is no-longer sustainable with the quality of the league and the pressure to win. I would imagine that we will try to recruit a Kozun type player to go 1a, 1b with Ben. And by Kozun type player I mean a Netminder who wants the stability of being on One Team for the year, with a point to prove. Most likely out of the ECHL or maybe straight from NCAA. To be honest, Kozun himself could be a great fit to work in a Tandem with Ben.

jenks33

From the outside it looks like Carruth wanted to stay in Cardiff and Todd told him he was free to leave. If that's the case i'm 100% with Todd on that. Like everybody else i was a huge fan of Carruth the player but you can't keep a 'bad egg' just because of his performances on the ice, Team spirit is far more important in my opinion. A core group will only return season after season if they enjoy going to the rink every day.

I said the other day i'm not sure if Bownsy coming back is the right call. One thing you can guarantee though is he will be well liked in the dressing room.

Devil94

If we do go down the import back up route again, I'd be more than happy with Kozun back. He started the season extremely well, I think he had 11 wins out of 12 league games? A better record than Carruth at the time.

He then seemed to have one bad game and then lost confidence a little. A tough situation for him because if you don't play regularly, once your in a slump in can be difficult to get out of it. You don't know when that next opportunity will come and when it does you put big pressure on yourself. Different to Carruth where if he had a bad night, he knew he had a chance to put it right next game.

It was also great to see Kozun causing some mischief on the bench occasionally, and seemed a popular guy with the others. It will be interesting to see which route we go with both netminders.

Devil94

From the outside it looks like Carruth wanted to stay in Cardiff and Todd told him he was free to leave. If that's the case i'm 100% with Todd on that. Like everybody else i was a huge fan of Carruth the player but you can't keep a 'bad egg' just because of his performances on the ice, Team spirit is far more important in my opinion. A core group will only return season after season if they enjoy going to the rink every day.

I said the other day i'm not sure if Bownsy coming back is the right call. One thing you can guarantee though is he will be well liked in the dressing room.
Yeah exactly. A great goalie at this level but if he effects his teammates around him negatively then it's not worth it. There are plenty of goalies out there that would be of similar quality that may not come with that baggage.
And as you said Bownsy seems to be well liked whoever he plays for. If you compare them just on on ice performances then Carruth comes out on top. But if you add in the personalities and also the extra import skater with Bownsy in net, the scales tip over to Bowns for me.

jenks33

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/14833/danny-taylor

Danny Taylor has been rumoured a few times to come to the UK. Don't know if there's anything more to it than his place of birth, but even at this stage in his career I reckon he would be the best in the league. And he's confirmed to not go back to his German club.
I'm sure he was linked with the Steelers last summer. Thanks god they went for Brust! Would be a great goalie in this league wouldn't he.

jenks33

If we do go down the import back up route again, I'd be more than happy with Kozun back. He started the season extremely well, I think he had 11 wins out of 12 league games? A better record than Carruth at the time.

He then seemed to have one bad game and then lost confidence a little. A tough situation for him because if you don't play regularly, once your in a slump in can be difficult to get out of it. You don't know when that next opportunity will come and when it does you put big pressure on yourself. Different to Carruth where if he had a bad night, he knew he had a chance to put it right next game.

It was also great to see Kozun causing some mischief on the bench occasionally, and seemed a popular guy with the others. It will be interesting to see which route we go with both netminders.
I'm a bit torn on Kozun. As you said he was brilliant before Christmas but then some of his performances towards the end of the season did concern me a bit (as far as re-signing him). If we are looking for a back up that will play most of the CC games and against teams like Fife/Manchester then i would take Kozun back 100%. If we're looking for somebody to really challenge for the starting spot then i'd probably look elsewhere.

Having said that would we have the money to improve on Kozun? If Bownsy is coming back i'm not sure we will sign Bownsy and a legitimate number one goalie from North America.

Last edited:

RedDevil17

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/14833/danny-taylor

Danny Taylor has been rumoured a few times to come to the UK. Don't know if there's anything more to it than his place of birth, but even at this stage in his career I reckon he would be the best in the league. And he's confirmed to not go back to his German club.
Also played against us when we faced Medvescak Zagreb in preseason and knows Shaone Morrisonn from their time there.

kingmo19.1

No brainier for me - Kozan & Bownsey and regularly rotate them which means we can bring in another import skater.

Go for another top Centre alongside Coughler and Goat on lines 1 & 2 and that could be 3 depth lines which will help us if we’re not quite as tight at the back as we were this year.

It’ll be entertaining! I like good goalie saves, but I like goals more!

Last edited:

august04 2.0

No brainier for me - Kozan & Bownsey and regularly rotate them which means we can bring in another import skater.

Go for another top Centre alongside Coughler and Goat on lines 1 & 2 and that could be 3 depth lines which will help us if we’re not quite as tight at the back as we were this year.
I’d be quite happy with a Bowns/Kozun goalie tandem and let them rotate the starts. I don’t want to see Bowns dominate that relationship though as I think Kozun suffered enough from that this past year. There’s not a great deal between them in my opinion. And of course it frees up that vital import slot.

ASHIPP

Wouldn't get too excited about Danny Taylor as an option . The club will have to work within their player budget to fit everyone in that they want. That guy would demand a large salary....unless on a uni deal of course.....

Mazzoak

From what I heard the cap was a gentleman's agreement between all clubs, Sheffield then went and broke that about two weeks after the league started apparently.
Why is that an issue, if they did, then it’s those who didn’t take advantage of that who can blame them selves………….

Mazzoak

Last edited by a moderator:

Mazzoak

The issue is another shit show from EIHL not implementing it officially, budget cap gentleman's agreement, what a load of horse shit.
The real question is why ?

Who gains, who looses, is it that certain owners hold more power than others. I don’t buy that, as a collective its all teams working together that hold more power than bully boy tactics of a minority. Again if one breaks out from the agreemen, then everyone can and should.