Devils and coach part ways

Ejercito Rojas

Definitely give Ceman a call, maybe he could bring back Joey Martin & Benny Blood to reinstate a bit of passion,desire and undoubted skill to the lineup!

Devil94

I don’t fear rebuild seasons. It can be very refreshing, especially if you get it right. Look at the first year with the new ownership, one of my favourite ever hockey seasons since watching the Devils from 1986. I'd happily take a repeat of that, even if we didn’t win the league that year. It was great fun to watch. We'll be just fine next year, don’t worry about that.
We can't have them every bloody year though. What happens if next year we have a similar season, showed some promise but some inconsistency again, as is expected for a team under a new coach, and we end up 2nd/3rd again. That coach goes too and we have another?
I didn't expect to win anything this year, it's unrealistic to expect a new coach to the league to get it right first time. But then you hope by the 2nd and 3rd year they get it right. Like what happened with Lordo, Keefe and possibly Fox. Very early days of course but my expectations for next year has now dropped from serious league contenders to another rebuild. Feels a wasted season.
But as I said, this is just a very immediate response and there might be a very good reason for it all and it might be the very best thing to happen to the club. But for me at the minute it stings.

moggy#9

I wonder to what extent skalde was frustrated with the league itself. He clearly wasn't impressed by the officiating standards, and we all know what a clusterf**k the season has been organisationally from the league.

It's also worth remembering that coming here with the circumstances back home probably seemed like a good move to avoid the media spotlight. Now that has passed, he'll almost certainly reappear somewhere like the ahl now.

It's the timing of this which is hardest to explain though. The only thing I can think of is a hard failing out with Todd or the owners. If that's the case, and word gets around, would it affect our future recruitment?

To me this changes very little with us going into three playoffs. I have very little expectation, and even wonder if we'll make it past the quarters.

The pressure is now going to be on Todd and Franny as, rightly or wrongly, people will ask questions about the coaching recruitment process.

Hopefully the club will come out with a proper statement soon. Otherwise I great this will fester with rumour and speculation.

august04 2.0

We can't have them every bloody year though. What happens if next year we have a similar season, showed some promise but some inconsistency again, as is expected for a team under a new coach, and we end up 2nd/3rd again. That coach goes too and we have another?
I didn't expect to win anything this year, it's unrealistic to expect a new coach to the league to get it right first time. But then you hope by the 2nd and 3rd year they get it right. Like what happened with Lordo, Keefe and possibly Fox. Very early days of course but my expectations for next year has now dropped from serious league contenders to another rebuild. Feels a wasted season.
But as I said, this is just a very immediate response and there might be a very good reason for it all and it might be the very best thing to happen to the club. But for me at the minute it stings.
Every bloody year?! Oh come on, that’s a complete overreaction. This year was always going to be something of a rebuild, even if we had the same coach, coming after the pandemic. It has been for most teams in the league. We've been lucky we had stability and success with Lord, but that’s not the norm! I’ll be honest with you, my expectations are now higher for next year with this decision. I don’t feel our recruitment was particularly good last summer or suited to this league and I'm expecting that to improve this off season now with a coach who maybe more suited to the rigours and requirements of the British game. We are/were too lightweight this year (physically and mentally), something I hope we rectify next year.

Devil94

Every bloody year?! Oh come on, that’s a complete overreaction. This year was always going to be something of a rebuild, even if we had the same coach, coming after the pandemic. It has been for most teams in the league. We've been lucky we had stability and success with Lord, but that’s not the norm! I’ll be honest with you, my expectations are now higher for next year with this decision. I don’t feel our recruitment was particularly good last summer or suited to this league and I'm expecting that to improve this off season now with a coach who maybe more suited to the rigours and requirements of the British game. We are/were too lightweight this year (physically and mentally), something I hope we rectify next year.
I'll check in with you if you still hold those views when Dupont is announced the new coach ;)

tigertemme

Tricky one.
On the one hand there's a handful of people calling his a bad coach
Other hand - few games to play offs, so suck it up and ride the season out.

Rumours around skalde vs carruth are interesting.

Without wishing to sound morbid, I hope it was skaldes decision to go, otherwise it doesn't look great for the club release a coach with a few games left.

august04 2.0

I'll check in with you if you still hold those views when Dupont is announced the new coach ;)
In fairness I did say a coach more suited to the rigours and requirements of the British game. He wouldn’t be top of my list! If he’s announced, then I’m with you in the doom and gloom club!

Samael

Really shocked by this, especially after the recruitment process the club went through, l was expecting to see him here for several years. I don't see the point in speculating why he's gone so l won't, l'll just say l wish him well for the future. He is a nice guy and tells a good story but ultimately wasn't right for us or the British game and l hope we can find someone next season who can bring success and consistency back to Cardiff.

What l don't want to see now is what happened in Nottingham after Neilson went: a string of coaches that weren't given a chance by either the fans or the club to build anything resulting in several years of mediocrity and no championships.

Hedd Wyn John

Player recruitment absolutely has to be spot on next year and we can't afford to carry any players. Rumour I'm getting from sources in the league that at least one top team has breached the salary cap this year so cardiff should not agree to follow one next year imo.

Hockeymad

I like carruth imo he’s the best goalie in the league. But I can see him having an attitude and hard to work with on a daily basis.

moggy#9

Player recruitment absolutely has to be spot on next year and we can't afford to carry any players. Rumour I'm getting from sources in the league that at least one top team has breached the salary cap this year so cardiff should not agree to follow one next year imo.
Well, unless the team who breached it gets a massive points deduction it won't matter - especially if they're the team that wins the league.

E.D.S.

Spare a thought for Block 13 song writers, they must have been working late into the night to rewrite chants for today.

If Carruth or any other player has kicked off then thats a dangerous precedent. From experience it needs a few senior players to kick off, not just one. Can’t see that being the case but who knows.
No one is irreplaceable, no matter how good they are. That includes the coach and the league leading goalie. If they aren’t right for the club then they can leave with my best wishes.

E.D.S.

Well, unless the team who breached it gets a massive points deduction it won't matter - especially if they're the team that wins the league.
That’s where this league becomes a joke. Action would need to be taken above and beyond the decision making appetite of the leagues Board. Titles stripped, points deducted - akin to Saracens - needs to happen, would never happen. The league have to protect the integrity of the sport in the UK but seem to fail at that year on year.

Mazzoak

When Lord went l wrote he’d be back in 3 years, so slightly off the timing. I wish Skalde & his family well, not a bad 9 months in a beer league riddled with incompetence. l wouldn’t be surprised now the issues he had back in the US have been resolved that he’s just woke up and thought stuff this I’m going home. I’m pretty sure Lord is in the same place, poor year, struggling to get anything.

moggy#9

That’s where this league becomes a joke. Action would need to be taken above and beyond the decision making appetite of the leagues Board. Titles stripped, points deducted - akin to Saracens - needs to happen, would never happen. The league have to protect the integrity of the sport in the UK but seem to fail at that year on year.
This. The league needs to have a proper leadership which demonstrates no favour to any team, and ensures the integrity of refereeing and dops.

Last edited: