Devils Vs Storm - League- 5th & 8th Jan 22 - Rearrangement Spectacular

Slartibartfast

So much has improved recently. This team could not buy a goal a couple of months ago. Now we have scored 37 goals in the last 8 games.
We had one functioning line at best now we have all 3 lines looking threatening. Im particularly impressed by the 3rd line who are much more than a checking line now.
Again the back checking was excellent, the passing is good and the finishing crisp.
The only thing that worries me still is the non contact hockey. Storm had a few break aways because the D men or last man back poked at the puck instead of taking the body. I thought we had seen the last of that when O Connor went. Do that against the Steelers or Belfast and they will score on the break away. Fix that and we can give Steelers a run for their money.
McNulty is the exception. He does use his body well.

Wannabe2

So much has improved recently. This team could not buy a goal a couple of months ago. Now we have scored 37 goals in the last 8 games.
We had one functioning line at best now we have all 3 lines looking threatening. Im particularly impressed by the 3rd line who are much more than a checking line now.
Again the back checking was excellent, the passing is good and the finishing crisp.
The only thing that worries me still is the non contact hockey. Storm had a few break aways because the D men or last man back poked at the puck instead of taking the body. I thought we had seen the last of that when O Connor went. Do that against the Steelers or Belfast and they will score on the break away. Fix that and we can give Steelers a run for their money.
Nail hit completely on the head, if this team played a more physical game with the huge improvements we are now showing I believe we would certainly take some beating. We would then be a more complete team, no one is talking about taking stupid penalties, but showing the opposition we have more to our game than most. And when the crowds return the fans most certainly can be the extra man, we have enough toughness in this squad to worry about no one, we live in hope.

Pembo

Coughler seems like the centre we’ve been crying out for, I think we’re benefitting so far from not being in COVID protocol so players maintaining form while other teams go more stop start. Loving McNulty taking his chance. Can’t wait to get back to fans at home ice. Serendipity means have had COVID over this behind closed doors bit so would have had to buy stream anyway! Belated happy new year everyone.

E.D.S.

Still not getting carried away. We are beating teams I would expect us and want us to beat - even with the ups and downs of the season but what I am seeing is a bit more determination and structure. I don't see as much of the D joining the rush and then creating the 2 v 1 against us when that breaks down. There are still some 2 v 1s happening when we are on the Powerplay but I can almost forgive that as we play with one less D man and opt for a forward. I don't like it but I can understand it. We're also not playing so deep in the offensive zone. We aren't scrapping on the back boards to recycle the puck against 6ft 4 D men, we are playing more on the half wall where our agile forwards keep their feet moving and create issues for the big guys. All of these things are hugely helping us with our puck retention, creating pressure, creating penalties and ultimately creating chances. Things ARE improving.

Coughler is physical, has quick feet, loves a chirp and can back it all up with cracking shot. Let's hope he keep up this intensity.
Cox hits like a 6ft 2 D man. The guys is insane given his stature. Punches massively above his weight in that department. A++ for effort.
Crandall is being more and more recognised for the all round player he is.
Duggan needs some sort of drug test (I'm not actually accusing him of taking drugs). Intensity, speed and now ridiculously soft hands. What a break away goal all done through his own hard work.
Concerned about Carruth as it didn't look like a puck to the knee injury, it looked like a tweak. I hope it's not long term but then again Kouzan comes in and does a cracking job.

So many positives. It's progress. The desire seems to be there. We've lost this season without showing much grit, whilst I don't expect us to win every game and execute the perfect game plan each time, I do expect us to respect the badge and give it what we have, collectively and individually. That is the minimum.

moggy#9

Duggan has been in the shadow of Waller a bit this season. That's not a reflection on him as a player though, it's more about playing a less flashy style. Our entire Brit pack deserves GB places this season.

The ability to pull carruth and replace him with a goalie of kozun's ability is exactly why I've said for such a long time that a good tandem is crucial.

Earnie

To repeat some of the above - good tandem goalies has to be the way forward. We have that and should keep it.
I totally agree with Moggy, all our Brits should be in GB team. What a group they are!

Last edited:

Devil94

A few stats updates after yesterday.

Trevor Cox is now the leading the league in assists. Last few weeks he's been on fire.
Josh Lammon is our joint 2nd top goal scorer. Always been reliable defensively but now scoring regularly too.
Marc McNulty is now +12. From only 9 games, talk about taking your chance.

BostonBart22

Not seen the last 2 periods yet, but we'll done on the win boys, great comeback first period after the usual slow start, keep it going , the pressure is on steelers now, hopefully the flames can get back to winning ways..

BostonBart22

Not seen carruth injury bit yet , but he's a warrior , pretty sure he will be rested this weekend anyway as he's played quite a few on the bounce, need kozun to have ice time , just in case ..of carruths injury is serious

Samael

I might be way off here but could it be the team are playing a less physical game to avoid taking injuries? With the bench limitations what they are this season you can't blame them for not wanting to play crash bang wallop hockey and l wouldn't be at all surprised if they have been told to lay off the hits to avoid as much by the coaching staff too. Of course it doesn't stop the opposition belting seven shades out of us though, but it might be a consideration going down the stretch in a potentially congested list of fixtures.

Wannabe2

Fortunately there’s ain’t a team in the league that could beat seven shades out of us, we have too many handy boys for that. Understand the physicality and injury front and it makes sense, but just ain’t as entertaining as said the bench limitations don't help.

Slartibartfast

Im loving all the positivity on this forum and its great to see that its unanimous. See Todd we don't always complain ;). We just wanted it fixed and you have gone a long way to fixing it so thank you. There is so much to feel positive about and its not just the two great new signings.
Early in the season I thought Cox was going to live in Sandfords shadow but he has been on fire lately. Not to be outdone though Sandford goes and scores that beauty from the face off.
Lammon and Cox are both punching above their weight in physicality.
Reid continues to bang in the goals but that line is no one trick pony with Dixon and Crandall scoring also.
Out third line seem to be as capable of scoring as any other line.
Everything is looking good.
I think we had forgotten how good this team looked early season. I know some were calling for mass changes but Im glad that did not happen. The majority just saw the need for 2 changes. That has happened and the effect has been massive across the whole team.
EDS is right. We should not get carried away as there are much tougher games approaching but I think we all have much more hope than we have had for months.
Just need Drakeford to let us back in the arena now so we can show our appreciation for the turnaround.

Mazzoak

Give it a few more wins and those calling for the team & coach to be sacked will be talking about us winning the league, playoffs and the trophy nobody cares about.
Just goes to show why Todd gives little attention to certain quarters of the fan base, thankfully.
Now we are returning to our winning ways, now at liberty to stop expostulating against the obvious unreasonableness of our demands, we return to debating the technical aspects of the game with as much vigour.......

And I’m predicting a 4-2 Devils win.

jenks33

Give it a few more wins and those calling for the team & coach to be sacked will be talking about us winning the league, playoffs and the trophy nobody cares about.
Just goes to show why Todd gives little attention to certain quarters of the fan base, thankfully.
Now we are returning to our winning ways, now at liberty to stop expostulating against the obvious unreasonableness of our demands, we return to debating the technical aspects of the game with as much vigour.......

And I’m predicting a 4-2 Devils win.
Had a Thesaurus for Christmas did you Mazzoak?

To be fair to us fans that weren’t particularly happy a month ago our biggest issues on the ice were probably O’Connor and Dupont. Suddenly we look a different team without those two. So it’s a bit unfair to play the whole “see, I told you everything would be fine” card.

And I still wouldn’t say 3 or 4 wins has changed everybody’s mind about Skalde. Let’s see how we do for the remainder of the season. I certainly want him to succeed tho

Kevin roog

Let’s not forget the crap fest against panthers twice , fife and Dundee twice off the top of my head is going to be the reason we will probably miss out on the title by a point or two( I know one of the dundees was cup game) and it was god awful boring, but credit where’s it due , it ain’t boring now and we look a real team, but have a peak at giants results, panthers and fife won’t get anything from them,

Devil94

have a peak at giants results, panthers and fife won’t get anything from them,
Belfast have lost to Dundee twice and Sheffield have beaten them 7-1. Every team goes through a bad stretch, Sheffield and Belfast could go through one anytime, so could we. That's why it's far from over.

Very tough tonight, Manchester sit 4th. Any point we come away with will be a bonus for me.