Devils Vs Stars - League - 12th Dec 21

BostonBart22

Think Wednesday's game is a tipping point in so many ways. The wrong result would have repercussions for revenue. And if they win, then will everything be OK or just carry on as usual?

How I miss Myers and Mosey, I look on regrettably how well they are doing at their new clubs. And try to fathom out how on earth they were let go (when ostensibly they were both returning this season).
Myers didn't have contact from the club since the cup final defeat last March. Which is astounding..

BostonBart22

Watching that interview tells me if we lose then a few players got a plane tkt home for Xmas, perhaps that's what some want , reckon tkt sales will be down big time by at least 500 Wednesday.

moggy#9

I have never seen so many people spout so much rubbish in my entire life. Reading through this thread, it is clear that the vast majority posters haven’t the slightest amount of hockey knowledge. This fanbase is plastic, filled with toxicity and are entitled beyond belief. We had a sniff of success, and you now throw your toys out of the pram at every single bump.

We are third in the league. If we were at the bottom, then I would completely understand the outrage. But we aren’t. There are clubs that sit dead at the bottom of the league for months, and they still complain less than you bunch of miserable brats.

Of course we want to win. Everyone wants to win. Saying that Skalde or the players don’t care is again a load of rubbish. Just because Skalde doesn’t kick and shout on the bench, does not mean he has no passion. You have no clue what happens behind closed doors, so stop theorising with your deluded, pessimistic minds. I’d rather “Coach Boring” be sensible behind the bench instead of causing a scene, then giving us a bad reputation. Remember how we’d laugh at Thommo having a tantrum? Would you like Steelers fans doing that to us? I didn’t think so. Aggression does not equal passion. A coach can be passionate about his club without shouting and making a angry face. Yes, responsibility falls on Skalde for poor performances, but as previously mentioned, we are third. Asking for a coach to be sacked / doubting their ability when we are third in the league is the most potent example of how entitled you all are.

Skalde’s recruitment has also been superb. Top ECHL scorers in Reid and Register are incredible signings. Crandall is one of the best playmakers the league has seen. Cox and Sanford are a great pair with a huge amount of potential. We have two outstanding netminders and being brave enough to replace club mainstay Myers for Waller is a bold yet brilliant move for the future of our club.

Have they clicked recently? Maybe not. Have some players played poor? Definitely. However, I’d like to see you show me a team which does not have an underwhelming player? You won’t be able to. Whilst I completely agree that we expect better from some of our players, you can not exaggerate that problem into your deluded rants about the whole team and the management above.

The skill gap between the top and bottom of the table is minimal, you can’t expect to win every game. We’ve seen ourselves that any team can win any game. If you are going to complain about wasting your money to watch the game because we lost, please never pay to watch or bet on any sports ever again. Regardless if you follow the stigma that Dundee are a bottom team and should be beaten easily, they are still a professional club working within the same salary limits as we are. Don’t belittle the Stars or ridicule the Devils because the score didn’t go your way. Want to return your season ticket? Please do, you won’t be missed. We are third, there are seven clubs and tens of thousands of fans who would love to be in our position. Stop being ungrateful and entitled.

Are you allowed to be angry, upset, disappointed? Of course. Can and should you voice your opinion? Sure. But please put things into perspective before you make personal, attacking comments about the management, players and staff who work their hardest to keep you all happy.

If you plan on replying to this with the hopes of me replying back, please don’t. I won’t be arguing with any of the plastic, low-lifes who have nothing better to do than hate the club they pretend to support.

Happy hockey days!
I find it very interesting that a new account pops up and then criticises people with differing opinions for a lack of hockey knowledge. I'd suggest that a review off people's previous posts (it might take a while) might dispel that notion. There are people here with decades of hockey knowledge be that as fans, players, and in some cases capacities within the club.

Whilst the debates on here are often heated, they're (usually) fairly civil. Please, if you don't agree, attack the opinion - not the person.

Slartibartfast

Its difficult to try and take any positives after another home loss but in an effort not to be negative plastic low life blah blah blah I will.
For 30 minutes the Devils played hard and physical. Its the first time I have seen regular checking and I enjoyed the game until that point. People criticise Lammon but he threw more checks than anyone. Register is an absolute asset. The number of times he comes out of the corner with the puck is astonishing and easily makes up for the odd mistake that he makes. The new guy McNulty did not put a foot wrong. He looks a pretty solid defensive defensemen.

Now the negative. This team seems to cycle between defensive games where they score on the break and usually win and offensive games where they massively outshoot opponents but can't score. The checking stopped after 30 minutes. If you watch before Dundees second goal the Stars forwards get nothing more than a gentle little push from O Connor on the boards. The third period was almost non contact and thats when Dundee took control for the first time.

Now the lines. Interesting that the top scorer in the league has not scored for the 2 games since the first line changed. I wonder why?
At the beginning of the season Cox and Sandford looked like they would tear the league apart but after various changes to their third line mate they lost their threat. I still can't understand why Waller is not with them. He is doing his best on the third line and created opportunities but Duggan and Davies are not snipers, Sandford and Cox are.

Dupont (sorry I have to mention him) is now 3 goals in 19 games. I think he is playing better but its still nowhere near the level he needs to be.

But when a team goes from looking really good at the start of the season to mediocre mid season and other teams have found how to beat us it comes down to coaching. Yes one or two personnel changes may help but I can't accept a team that showed so much promise early season are all bad.

BostonBart22

like i said few weeks ago dupont is a player coach, drop the player role and have him assisting the other 2 and bring in our usual spare import to take over his role, how we missed out on sointu is criminal and snatched by our rivals.

I agree that those 4 are excellent… but it’s the collective recruitment for me. Signing decent individuals is always going to be a fairly easy task.

The challenge in recruitment is getting 20 guys that are going to fit in with your style of play whilst developing chemistry.

Skalde has failed to do this, so for me yes the recruitment has been poor.

Two or three changes might be all it needs though.
Well said.

I think overall recruitment (in terms of the actual players) has been more positive than negative. In terms of individual players (Carruth, Kuzon, Register, McNally, Crandall, Cox, Sanford, Reid and Waller) I feel that we have recruited pretty well (completely get your comments regarding overall recruitment and those players fitting together) There are others who are mediocre and others who aren't pulling their weight. I always thought Skalde would struggle a bit coming into this year and finding his feet.

Like you said RE two or three player changes - if we could go back and replace those struggling players with ones from the previous squad. Adjust the strategy/tactics within the game and also played with a bit more energy and drive - I think we would be looking at a very good team.

Hedd Wyn John

Myers didn't have contact from the club since the cup final defeat last March. Which is astounding..
Myers was let go because the club chose to sign Waller instead.

Mosey wanted to sign for a club in Europe/wanted more money than Devils would agree to. That's what I heard. In a podcast Mosey said something along the lines of he wanted to move on etc.

Rempel16

Well said.

I think overall recruitment (in terms of the actual players) has been more positive than negative. In terms of individual players (Carruth, Kuzon, Register, McNally, Crandall, Cox, Sanford, Reid and Waller) I feel that we have recruited pretty well (completely get your comments regarding overall recruitment and those players fitting together) There are others who are mediocre and others who aren't pulling their weight. I always thought Skalde would struggle a bit coming into this year and finding his feet.

Like you said RE two or three player changes - if we could go back and replace those struggling players with ones from the previous squad. Adjust the strategy/tactics within the game and also played with a bit more energy and drive - I think we would be looking at a very good team.
Yep, I agree with hindsight and being able to replace a couple.

I don't think it's too late to make changes. Yes we look after players, but there are replacements out there. Tommaso Traversa jumped into his first games as a Steeler at the weekend. 2 goals and an assist against the Blaze yesterday.

Yes the ownership like to look after players, and it's a proud record that we hold for not gassing players... But at some point we have to save our season, and making a couple of changes would also show that you will be looked after in Cardiff.... If you give 100% back.

The_Stick_

I have never seen so many people spout so much rubbish in my entire life. Reading through this thread, it is clear that the vast majority posters haven’t the slightest amount of hockey knowledge. This fanbase is plastic, filled with toxicity and are entitled beyond belief. We had a sniff of success, and you now throw your toys out of the pram at every single bump.

We are third in the league. If we were at the bottom, then I would completely understand the outrage. But we aren’t. There are clubs that sit dead at the bottom of the league for months, and they still complain less than you bunch of miserable brats.

Of course we want to win. Everyone wants to win. Saying that Skalde or the players don’t care is again a load of rubbish. Just because Skalde doesn’t kick and shout on the bench, does not mean he has no passion. You have no clue what happens behind closed doors, so stop theorising with your deluded, pessimistic minds. I’d rather “Coach Boring” be sensible behind the bench instead of causing a scene, then giving us a bad reputation. Remember how we’d laugh at Thommo having a tantrum? Would you like Steelers fans doing that to us? I didn’t think so. Aggression does not equal passion. A coach can be passionate about his club without shouting and making a angry face. Yes, responsibility falls on Skalde for poor performances, but as previously mentioned, we are third. Asking for a coach to be sacked / doubting their ability when we are third in the league is the most potent example of how entitled you all are.

Skalde’s recruitment has also been superb. Top ECHL scorers in Reid and Register are incredible signings. Crandall is one of the best playmakers the league has seen. Cox and Sanford are a great pair with a huge amount of potential. We have two outstanding netminders and being brave enough to replace club mainstay Myers for Waller is a bold yet brilliant move for the future of our club.

Have they clicked recently? Maybe not. Have some players played poor? Definitely. However, I’d like to see you show me a team which does not have an underwhelming player? You won’t be able to. Whilst I completely agree that we expect better from some of our players, you can not exaggerate that problem into your deluded rants about the whole team and the management above.

The skill gap between the top and bottom of the table is minimal, you can’t expect to win every game. We’ve seen ourselves that any team can win any game. If you are going to complain about wasting your money to watch the game because we lost, please never pay to watch or bet on any sports ever again. Regardless if you follow the stigma that Dundee are a bottom team and should be beaten easily, they are still a professional club working within the same salary limits as we are. Don’t belittle the Stars or ridicule the Devils because the score didn’t go your way. Want to return your season ticket? Please do, you won’t be missed. We are third, there are seven clubs and tens of thousands of fans who would love to be in our position. Stop being ungrateful and entitled.

Are you allowed to be angry, upset, disappointed? Of course. Can and should you voice your opinion? Sure. But please put things into perspective before you make personal, attacking comments about the management, players and staff who work their hardest to keep you all happy.

If you plan on replying to this with the hopes of me replying back, please don’t. I won’t be arguing with anybody who has nothing better to do than hate the club they pretend to support.

Happy hockey days!
Low life comment has been removed, heat of the moment and I don’t want that to remove the validity of any of my previous points

Hedd Wyn John

Yep, I agree with hindsight and being able to replace a couple.

I don't think it's too late to make changes. Yes we look after players, but there are replacements out there. Tommaso Traversa jumped into his first games as a Steeler at the weekend. 2 goals and an assist against the Blaze yesterday.

Yes the ownership like to look after players, and it's a proud record that we hold for not gassing players... But at some point we have to save our season, and making a couple of changes would also show that you will be looked after in Cardiff.... If you give 100% back.
Changes are needed but unless they've got several players as good as Joey Martin or Tyson Strachan (I'm talking like 4 or 5 players) lined up about to fly in I'd say our league challenge is pretty much done. I don't believe the Devils have the budget, nor are those kind of players available to bring in. Plus the roster rules probably prevent that many new sign ins. It's hard to see us overturning a 2 goal deficit on Wednesday so a challenge cup exit is looking likely. That leaves us with the playoffs. That'll be decided by the steelers and Giants in all likelihood.

Hedd Wyn John

It also means that we (Blaze) are also pretty shocking too!
Not a good result for Coventry but its more a reflection on how good Sheffield are. They can score for fun. Their recruitment has been spot on, too good some might say. The only team that has any hope of catching them are the Giants.

bb1

I have to give credit to Dundee they do have some very good players in their roster. As much as people are calling Haas a goon, I thought he was very good last night. Played hockey the way I'd want to see guys like Batch and Louis play. He intimidated, hit and did an all round solid job. Others like Coombs and Lawrence also look very solid players who were in our faces constantly.

I find it quite sad that I hear many people looking forward to our home games because we have players like Haas on the visiting team......What does that tell you!

Pacha is a very good coach with a small budget and manages to bring the best out in his players.

We look like we have no confidence and ZERO leadership on both the bench and the ice.....sadly we have a BIG problem!

When you say “come the end of the season a lot of people may feel silly after some of the stuff that is being said” I’m Interested to know what you think will change? Genuine question. Do you think we are still in with a chance of winning the league? Do you think Dupont and one or two others will come good? Just interested to know. In my opinion we are battling for third spot at best. Do I still think we can win a cup? Yeah probably as you only need to win 3 out of 4 games to win the play offs. That doesn’t make it a good season tho.

And I don’t think anybody has an issue with us not blowing teams away. I don’t even think most fans care about us losing games as long as it’s entertaining . It’s the style of hockey, it’s tedious.
If we get to the end of the season and still feel like we aren't going anywhere then fair enough. The league is probably gone, Wednesday night in the Cup could be interesting, always have a chance in the playoffs, but there is still plenty of time to see improvement.

Coming 3rd in this league at the end of it and coming close in a cup, whether that's playoffs or CC, would be a great achievement with new team and coach imo.

Temme

Thought i'd sleep on the result before offering any valid opinion, as yesterdays opinion wouldn't have been very coherent after a Dundee home loss.

It's clear to me our issues come straight down the middle, having Dupont and Lammon as our 2 import centers just doesn't drive any offence at all.

When Dixon is back - this issue won't go away. I love Dixon, but he is not what we need driving the offence on the first unit - he's far more useful elsewhere, as he has proven in the last 2 years.

Signing a first line center midway through the season i would argue is an impossible task.

Whilst the club have mentioned previously "some teams change players for the sake of it, even when a replacement isn't an improvement".

If we get knocked out of the cup on Wednesday I suspect someone nameless will be sent packing even without a replacement as purely a salary shedding exercise - the loss in revenue will force the owners hand for sure. (This is just my opinion)

We have 9 regulation goals in the last 5 games we've played, which is not good for where we need to be.
For reference - Belfast have 22, Sheffield 19, Nottingham 16.

Goal scoring is not our biggest issue though for my money - driving meaningful offence in general is the issue.

bb1

We need more character. Hotham had it in abundance, Lordo had it, Faryna, Martin, Hendo, Marsh......These guys got pissed when we went a goal down. They tried whatever they could to change a game. Sadly I do not see any of this. McNally is the only character we seem to have. I do see the fire in the bellies of Register, Cox, Crandall and Sanford more than I see it in others at times but this fire needs to spread throughout the whole team and not just a handful of players now and again as that won't cut it.

Last night I would have loved to have seen Batch skate up to Haas to have a word after he put 2 of our players (nearly) over the bench with hits. If Faryna had been out there you can damn right guarantee he would have been in his face straight away. In fairness Louis probably would have done it but someone like Batch needs to fill those skates when Louis isn't there but.....sadly still waiting

Kevin roog

I thought plastic fans was a term used by football against the likes of Man Utd and Liverpool fans who never go to games , I think a lot of us on here are season ticket holders

I thought plastic fans was a term used by football against the likes of Man Utd and Liverpool fans who never go to games , I think a lot of us on here are season ticket holders
I am going to assume its aimed at the people who consistently say they arent going to renew their season tickets/buy tickets when the Devils lose or have an off day