Mask wearing/drunks in your block at IAW

Kevin roog

Good to see a quick response from the club, I wonder if there's scope for hospitality guests to be given a message about drunkenness prior to attending. Several Hospitality fans in block 20 Row F were clearly intoxicated from the outset on Saturday which culminated in a large drunk man falling onto a lady in the row in front. That could have broken her neck, nobody wants a repeat of incidents like that.
That was my wife,fortunately she just ended up with a bruised arm,unfortunately she could still go to the Guildford away game,we’ve had a few drunks behind us this season,we are in row e

Hedd Wyn John

That was my wife,fortunately she just ended up with a bruised arm,unfortunately she could still go to the Guildford away game,we’ve had a few drunks behind us this season,we are in row e
I hope she's OK, when I heard the guys in row F shouting & hollering before the game had even started I thought to myself: We've got some drunks here & if they're like this now things are only going to get worse as it goes along.

The fact that the guy who fell & is mates didn't even seem phased by the incident really riled me up. Where's the common decency? I'd have been mortified I'd done that or a mate of mine had done that.

Kevlar68

Thread starter #186
Let's see what the make up of the crowd is Wed/Sun compared to a Saturday. This may give us a good indicator to see if there's the same behavior.

Last edited:

Milky

The piss heads in block 20 were all wearing 'Amber Energy' hospitality lanyards so there's a company not to use. They were well past acceptably drunk and happy to swear repeatedly at anyone who questioned them. After the two of them fell over I think they were moved not ejected as I spotted some of them in the bar later. I appreciate the club has to look after its sponsors but these guys were just spoiling it for everyone else and too drunk to realise
I’m sorry but this has to be one of the most idiotic posts on this thread and clearly illustrates the dangers of spreading misinformation on social media.

Amber Energy are the sponsors of the corporate lounge. Have you not seen the big logos that cover the windows? All of the match night temporary lanyards are printed with their logo (quite rightly) as they spend a lot of money as the sponsor. Comments like yours above are both ill-informed and dangerous as people will just take your comments as read and jump on the band wagon. Amber energy are in no way responsible for anyone that happens to wear a lanyard or drink in the bar. For the record, I do not work for Amber energy or know anyone that works there.

As regards many other comments about the sponsors, I want to clarify a couple of points.
Firstly, my wife and I are corporate season ticket holders and have been since 2015. We are passionate hockey fans and have followed the team home and away during this period. We have a couple of pints on match night. There are many others like ourselves who also bring family members. My mother in law is in her 80’s and is now a season ticket holder as is my son. We couldn’t advocate more about hockey being a family sport and I have brought many friends and their families to games who have gone on to become regular fans and in some cases season ticket holders. We sit in block 19 surrounded by a number of other sponsors (all with families and children in tow). But it is important to realise that there is no ‘sponsors’ block. When the rink was built the management took the decision to let sponsors sit anywhere in the rink, so they are spread all over the place.

Secondly, and more importantly, it is important to distinguish between regular corporate sponsors who attend every week and those that hire the far end of the Amber Energy lounge for a private functions. These are sometimes regular sponsors but can also be a work do. It is these latter that tend to be where a lot of heavy drinking non hockey fans attend. This Saturday was a case in point. I have never seen the Amber Energy lounge so full nor with so many drunk, non hockey types who were not interested in the game. Lots of bad language too. I and lots of other corporate season tickets holders didn’t use the lounge after the first period because of the atmosphere there. Whoever they were, they put a lot of people off. For reference, the seats at top of block 20 tend to be used for these private functions.

I think it is disingenuous to point the finger at sponsors as a whole. As with anything it is a small minority.

As regards mask wearing, I don’t think it is just newbies that are guilty of this. Many of our long standing fans fall foul of being lax with the rules. I could pick out a large number of familiar faces on TV on the Premier Sports coverage of the recent Scottish Double header who were sat there without their masks on.

I agree with a lot of the comments on here about the security. The firm currently used is new and was changed during the first lockdown. It would seem from many peoples comments on this thread that they are not doing what people are expecting them to do.

Earnie

Good post by Milky - thank you.
I am sure most of Inferno participants were not aware of some of the details you have mentioned , myself included.

bozman

My opinion is that there are not enough actual trained security people there, I feel sorry for the stewards who a lot of the time have to deal with the idiots themselves with the example of the only one that went on the ice to get the invader he deserves a raise!!

James

Administrator
I’m sorry but this has to be one of the most idiotic posts on this thread and clearly illustrates the dangers of spreading misinformation on social media.

Amber Energy are the sponsors of the corporate lounge. Have you not seen the big logos that cover the windows? All of the match night temporary lanyards are printed with their logo (quite rightly) as they spend a lot of money as the sponsor. Comments like yours above are both ill-informed and dangerous as people will just take your comments as read and jump on the band wagon. Amber energy are in no way responsible for anyone that happens to wear a lanyard or drink in the bar. For the record, I do not work for Amber energy or know anyone that works there.
Thanks for the clarification Milky. I'd question the 'idiotic misinformation' part. No I hadn't seen the sponsors lounge having not walked past it. It was merely an opinion based on what I saw, drunk people with 'Amber Energy' on lanyards dangerously falling over people and swearing. If I saw it and misinterpreted, I know I wasn't the only one.

E.D.S.

As regards many other comments about the sponsors, I want to clarify a couple of points.
Firstly, my wife and I are corporate season ticket holders and have been since 2015. We are passionate hockey fans and have followed the team home and away during this period. We have a couple of pints on match night. There are many others like ourselves who also bring family members. My mother in law is in her 80’s and is now a season ticket holder as is my son. We couldn’t advocate more about hockey being a family sport and I have brought many friends and their families to games who have gone on to become regular fans and in some cases season ticket holders. We sit in block 19 surrounded by a number of other sponsors (all with families and children in tow). But it is important to realise that there is no ‘sponsors’ block. When the rink was built the management took the decision to let sponsors sit anywhere in the rink, so they are spread all over the place.

Secondly, and more importantly, it is important to distinguish between regular corporate sponsors who attend every week and those that hire the far end of the Amber Energy lounge for a private functions. These are sometimes regular sponsors but can also be a work do. It is these latter that tend to be where a lot of heavy drinking non hockey fans attend. This Saturday was a case in point. I have never seen the Amber Energy lounge so full nor with so many drunk, non hockey types who were not interested in the game. Lots of bad language too. I and lots of other corporate season tickets holders didn’t use the lounge after the first period because of the atmosphere there. Whoever they were, they put a lot of people off. For reference, the seats at top of block 20 tend to be used for these private functions.

I think it is disingenuous to point the finger at sponsors as a whole. As with anything it is a small minority.

As regards mask wearing, I don’t think it is just newbies that are guilty of this. Many of our long standing fans fall foul of being lax with the rules. I could pick out a large number of familiar faces on TV on the Premier Sports coverage of the recent Scottish Double header who were sat there without their masks on.

I agree with a lot of the comments on here about the security. The firm currently used is new and was changed during the first lockdown. It would seem from many peoples comments on this thread that they are not doing what people are expecting them to do.
Without that context re: the Amber Energy being the sponsor of the corporate lounge I would have made the same conclusion about the attendees who roll out of there but take your point about getting the facts first. Regardless of where they come from some of the corporate attendees are an issue in terms of their behaviour. I sit close to them too and whilst I can be patient with them not knowing the game and getting up in the middle of it etc in fact I'll help answer the questions they have when they don't understand icing, line changes or off side but to have to be constantly in fear of having a beer kicked over your seat or worse dribbled on your head as well as swearing is just too much now. I'll be moving seats next year.

Mazzoak

Does the Corporate Lounge give drinks free as part of the package. If so maybe that could be addressed.
As for me being another person in disguise, that was addressed previously, don’t know why it’s relevant, if anyone has an issues with me, get over it, if you’ve got an issue with any of my comments, debate me, argue, do whatever you want within the rules.

Lets move on and stay on topic, please......

Kevlar68

Thread starter #195
With corporate boxes/lounges the ones i've managed most have a bar tab and then its billed to company or paid on the night. Some hospitality have both billed and pay as you go.
It will also depend on who's in there.
If it's company owners of the box they'll get billed, if it's corporate guests to gain business they may also be billed to company, if it's company workers it may be a paying bar, it may also be billed at the end of the night after tab is totalled up and paid in full before leaving arena.

Mazzoak

It’s the only reason l can think of for such a dramatic change in sobriety, so quickly, people tend to go to excess when it’s free. Removing that or limiting quantity might be needed. I realise you can’t control 3,100, you don’t need to when it’s less than a hundred idiots causing the issue. As for masks, it’s difficult because it’s a business, just that whilst that’s true, it’s also peoples health. Actions depend on which camp your priorities are.....

Kevlar68

Thread starter #198
I honestly think it's the change in days of game.
Sundays most will have work Monday and drive to IAW as limited public transport so alcohol consumption is lower and businesses close early Sunday nights in Cardiff.
Saturday is the busiest night out in Cardiff City centre, start at the IAW for a night out, on to the Bay then in to town till 3-4am.
I've only seen this many alcohol fuelled people in the IAW since we've had a majority of Saturday games, didn't see hardly any on Sunday games.

Hedd Wyn John

I honestly think it's the change in days of game.
Sundays most will have work Monday and drive to IAW as limited public transport so alcohol consumption is lower and businesses close early Sunday nights in Cardiff.
Saturday is the busiest night out in Cardiff City centre, start at the IAW for a night out, on to the Bay then in to town till 3-4am.
I've only seen this many alcohol fuelled people in the IAW since we've had a majority of Saturday games, didn't see hardly any on Sunday games.
I also think it's something to do with covid. People go a bit wild after months of restrictions

Kevlar68

Thread starter #200
I may be wrong on this but quite a while back wasnt the Saturday games voiced because of children as Sunday games they have school Monday.
Is it better to have children around those dickheads on a Saturday night out or be family friendly on a Sunday instead?