Mask wearing/drunks in your block at IAW

E.D.S.

Whilst this isn’t the clubs official forum and they have no necessity to post on here (even though they have in the past)
I am disappointed that no one has come on here to try and address this. I never agree with Wannabe (that’s not deliberate) but he’s spot on with this. First time in ages that I didn’t want to go last night. Corporate idiots spoiling it for everyone and the club does very little to address it (or so it appears). Our owners come on here, other Devils admin come on here. Disappointed they haven’t addressed such a serious issue given the volume of outcry.

BostonBart22

I’m getting cheesed off with what’s happening in our rink, you wait all week for the next match, and it’s against your fiercist rivals and then your main focus is on a bunch of pissed morons in block 20 not giving a toss about anyone except themselves. This lot were in sponsor seats, I counted 18 of them all sat together in row F one of them looked
at me because I had to say put your masks on, he then looked at me put it on and within 2 mins it was off again, these morons are spoiling the whole nights experience for many around me, and it’s always in block 20. Too be honest I’m getting to the point where I couldn’t care if I go or if I don’t, and after 35yrs I never thought I would say that, but you can’t focus on the game when others around you are content to mess with other peoples lives, the whole night don’t hold the same buzz for me anymore and those poor people who are surrounded by them selfish gets are having their night ruined. It’s every week in block 20 and many of them, they are told by stewards but totally ignore them, so for many like me Happy Hockey Days are a thing of the past and maybe my £1,400 could be better spent elsewhere, it’s just not the same place anymore sadly.
Great post, suggestion, all hospitality patrons should stay in their boxes to party, put tvs in there so they can watch it in comfort, lock the door preferably or send them on the balcony and let todd sort them out..

Diafol

Our next two home games (both against Dundee) are on a Sunday and a Wednesday.
It'll be interesting to see if these issues arise again then.

Hedd Wyn John

Great post, suggestion, all hospitality patrons should stay in their boxes to party, put tvs in there so they can watch it in comfort, lock the door preferably or send them on the balcony and let todd sort them out..
Rink design is an issue there, there simply aren't enough hospitality boxes to cover all the sponsors.

Kevlar68

Thread starter #145
So I've been thinking. What about a Devils fan base membership card.
Season tickets aren't included in this as we have our seats all season.
You pay £15-20 to join per season so that's a nice income for the club before season starts.
Those fan base memberships get you discount off your game night tickets all season.
BUT without that membership the game night ticket is £20.
This may put the non hockey fan, Saturday night out, dead heads from going to the games and freeing up tickets for true fans of the game.
Past few games have been sell outs with real fans looking for tickets.

James

Administrator
The piss heads in block 20 were all wearing 'Amber Energy' hospitality lanyards so there's a company not to use. They were well past acceptably drunk and happy to swear repeatedly at anyone who questioned them. After the two of them fell over I think they were moved not ejected as I spotted some of them in the bar later. I appreciate the club has to look after its sponsors but these guys were just spoiling it for everyone else and too drunk to realise

Covid passes for licensed premises similar to Northern Ireland are on the cards later this week. There wouldn't be any confusion as far as IAW is concerned as it is a licensed premises

E.D.S.

Still don't get the lack of a response from the club on here - owners and various back office admin use this forum - but nothing has come forward. I can imagine they don't want to do anything official so as not to draw attention to the issue but the silence is concerning.

Pope#42

I like your thinking but I sit in block 8 where the tickets are £19 a game and it doesn’t seem to make any difference to the issues we have with the drinking Saturday night crowd who have no interest in the hockey. I’ve honestly never understood why so many would waste that sort of money when they could sit in a bar for free.

I’m a season ticket holder and I’ve got to the point now where I would happily pay a little bit more if we could have a dry arena. The situation just seems to be really bad this season - to the point where I’m not enjoying the games as much as I should be.

So I've been thinking. What about a Devils fan base membership card.
Season tickets aren't included in this as we have our seats all season.
You pay £15-20 to join per season so that's a nice income for the club before season starts.
Those fan base memberships get you discount off your game night tickets all season.
BUT without that membership the game night ticket is £20.
This may put the non hockey fan, Saturday night out, dead heads from going to the games and freeing up tickets for true fans of the game.
Past few games have been sell outs with real fans looking for tickets.

kettdevil1

I like your thinking but I sit in block 8 where the tickets are £19 a game and it doesn’t seem to make any difference to the issues we have with the drinking Saturday night crowd who have no interest in the hockey. I’ve honestly never understood why so many would waste that sort of money when they could sit in a bar for free.

I’m a season ticket holder and I’ve got to the point now where I would happily pay a little bit more if we could have a dry arena. The situation just seems to be really bad this season - to the point where I’m not enjoying the games as much as I should be.
I like the idea of a dry area - cricket has always had this issue and most grounds have now got stands which are designated as no alcohol. It works well and provides choice

Swarley

Still don't get the lack of a response from the club on here - owners and various back office admin use this forum - but nothing has come forward. I can imagine they don't want to do anything official so as not to draw attention to the issue but the silence is concerning.
I've emailed Todd and asked him to take a look at this thread and see if he can share his views on this issue.

Hopefully he'll have the time to read through it all and reply.

Wannabe2

This is getting a huge headache now for true fans, and is going to end up in a some sort of a brawl, passionate and loyal fans will only let so much of their enjoyment and their club be taken away from them, as the council and past owners found out. No one will put up with being told to f- -k off, and have their kids and relatives listening to foul language, I am there to watch the hockey and meet friends, if I want to be surrounded by piss heads and arseholes,I will give the rink a miss and go into town. It needs sorting soon.

Swarley

This is getting a huge headache now for true fans, and is going to end up in a some sort of a brawl, passionate and loyal fans will only let so much of their enjoyment and their club be taken away from them, as the council and past owners found out. No one will put up with being told to f- -k off, and have their kids and relatives listening to foul language, I am there to watch the hockey and meet friends, if I want to be surrounded by piss heads and arseholes,I will give the rink a miss and go into town. It needs sorting soon.
I'm kinda hoping Todd sees the email and doesn't just go "oh ffs what does he want now" and deletes it lol I'm sure there will be a reply to this thread from either him or one of the other owners soon enough.

Kevlar68

Thread starter #154
I like your thinking but I sit in block 8 where the tickets are £19 a game and it doesn’t seem to make any difference to the issues we have with the drinking Saturday night crowd who have no interest in the hockey..
So that's my fault as the basic idea was there without checking prices. Going on adult prices:

So Bronze ticket is £16, Membership holders £14.50. non card£19
Silver £17, membership card £15.50. non card £20
Gold £19, membership card £17.50, non card £22

Same for all other tickets £1.50 less with membership card and £3 more without.

Devils fan base Membership fee £20 per year. If you attend 15 home games you've made £22.50 back from discounts.

Last edited:

Rempel16

So that's my fault as the basic idea was there without checking prices. Going on adult prices:

So Bronze ticket is £16, Membership holders £14.50. non card£19
Silver £17, membership card £15.50. non card £20
Gold £19, membership card £17.50, non card £22

Same for all other tickets £1.50 less with membership card and £3 more without.

Membership fee £20. If you attend 15 home games you've made £22.50 back from discounts.
This is a great idea.

E.D.S.

Anything to help improve the situation gets my vote. The above from Kevlar combined with some other interventions would work. I'd be interested to know if the club are aware of who these people are. What I mean by that is.... if I kick off and start throwing drinks, the club should be able to spot who I am because of my season ticket details. Can/do the club do the same with those that aren't season ticket holders? Clearly any tickets sold on line are traceable but is there any come back? Those few that got asked to leave on Saturday for not wearing masks.... are they now blackballed from future ticket purchases? What's the action that is taken?

Pondlife

The piss heads in block 20 were all wearing 'Amber Energy' hospitality lanyards so there's a company not to use.
Amber Energy are (as far as I am aware) the sponsors of the Corporate/Sponsors bar behind block 18/19 and so the lanyards may have been for admission to that bar rather than the company that the p1ssheads work for.

THIS IS FROM TODD KELMAN (using Katrina's login because I don't have one)
----------------------------------------------------

Hi Folks – I wouldn’t normally choose this forum to discuss issues, but I wanted to acknowledge some of the points raised.

Firstly, I want to make you all aware since the start of the season we have pre-game and post-game discussions with our security and stewarding team every game. From the get-go, we have been implementing additional measures that some of you may be unaware of but have already shown to have had a positive impact.

With that said, this is the first season we have had to operate with COVID measures in place and it has and continues to be a learning curve for all of us. So we hear you, and these are the additional measures we are putting in place going forward.

ADDITIONAL SECURITY & MASK ENFORCEMENT – We currently have the correct ratio of stewards to spectators, but we are going to add more security staff, we have already upped the numbers compared to earlier this season, but we will add even more now. We will also have the stewards going up and down the rows in between whistles (not every whistle, but throughout the game as much as possible) to try to enforce the mask wearing even more. The stewarding and security team actively challenged more on Saturday, and there was a marked improvement in fans complying, although sadly there is always going to be a minority who will remove them as soon as the stewards move onto a different area, but we will ask fans to leave who continue to fail to comply.

FOUL LANGUAGE – This will be addressed more with announcements and use of the screens to drill in the message to people that this is a family sport and there are a number of children in the stands enjoying the game as well.

PUBLIC DRUNKENNESS – We will speak to the bar staff about reporting anyone they feel are too drunk. They also will be more vigilant about not over-serving people. Again, a lot of this will fall on security and stewards to address any issues on people arriving drunk to ensure we do not allow them into the games if they are showing up heavily intoxicated.

REPORTING – It is important to report any issues to the steward in your section who can talk to the security staff and to us. We will aim to address issues in game more promptly without taking away from the experience of the fans around you who are trying to watch the game.

IN CLOSING - It is not an easy task to monitor 3,100 people to ensure they are wearing their masks, not drinking too much and not swearing at all. We have all been to events, concerts, live sports where our experience is affected by the people sitting around us. We still have issues every week ensuring adults watching the Junior Devils, Cardiff Fire, Xtreme Edges, figure skating, public skating spectators and general arena users wearing their masks. We will up our game to ensure all users are adhering to the same rules.

I don’t think people are buying tickets just to come get drunk, there are cheaper ways to do that. I do believe some newcomers (not all) come for the experience and don’t really care much about the score, but more just to have a good time with their friends. I cannot stop this from happening, but we can be better at ensuring the experience for everyone is still safe, clean fun instead of people worrying about others getting drunk or using foul language or not wearing masks.

Our aim is to make it a fun, family friendly environment, but we also cannot control every person that decides to buy a ticket online and come to a game.

THE GOAL - Our goal is to ensure we stay open all season. All of the above play a part in making sure that rules, particularly COVID regulations, are adhered to and every one of us can do our part. We (The Devils Org) can do a better job and we will do our best to ensure that things calm down so as to allow this forum to get back to complaining about losing to Sheffield on Saturday or Guildford on Sunday rather than what happened in the stands.

Thanks – Todd Kelman and the Team

Wannabe2

Well in fairness to the club they have responded to our Match Night problems, it’s in their hands now and it’s a problem that affects fans and the club alike, so now time will tell . Fortunately we have hardly ever experienced this threat to our enjoyment and it has to stop now, we thank the club for the response it’s in everyone’s favour except the pissheads to stamp this disease out.