Devils Vs steelers - League - 4th Dec 21

Swarley

Well, that was frustrating.

The first goal was unlucky, I’m not going to say anything about that.

Second was as a result of a poor defensive decision again.

But honestly, the lack of goal scoring threat 5-on-5 is really worrying.

We made their goalie look like a Vezina winner by shooting straight at his chest (when on target).

I wasn’t happy with some of the ref calls, but we weren’t at the races for 50 minutes so I’m not sure it’s that important.
Lowest quality officiating aside we just didn't seem to have anything until the last 5 minutes.

Watching Louis get thrown for abuse of official was laughable especially when it was the same official that made the worst calls of the night and honestly didn't look like he knew what he was doing.

Eklof

Another snooze fest!!

If the the team can't get motivated for a home game against our arch rivals in a top of the table clash we need to start worrying!

For me that performance was pathetic!

The game report will say "Devils hit post 3 times", "Devils edged out in tight thriller".
When in reality we are very poor. The team has no heart and the club has no soul.

It's all become very mundane.

Slartibartfast

Despite the wide range of comments I agree with most of them. The hockey gods and Rose played a part in this loss but unless the whole team is putting in 100% for 60 minutes you are not going to beat the steelers. Sandford does not stop skating and I thought Cranford worked hard also and at times we looked really good but this team seems to win when we play a scrappy defensive game not a flowing offensive game.
There was good physicality but only for the odd 5 minutes spurt. If you look on the tracker all of Steelers goals came from right in front of goal because noone is battering them and the back checking was not what it was in recent games.
And the elephant in the room..... Im not going to say it. I will just say when is Waller going back on the 2nd line where he deserves to be?

Devil94

Thought we were unlucky to finish the first behind. A freak goal for them, and we had a few good chances and a few bad bounces at the back door.

Second was sloppy, we were second to every puck and lost the 50/50 battles.

After a shaky first for their goalie, he grew in to the game and finished strong with some big saves on the 3rd.

Great character shown to come back, Brodie Reid had a great chance to equalise from the slot with 20 seconds to go, that's how close we were. And we hit the post 3 times too. Considering we were 0-4 down with 5 to go, that's some effort.

A shoutout to Stephen Dixon, who won almost every face off cleanly tonight. The only one I noticed he didn't win was the final one for the empty netter. Not to be, but a food run of 6 wins comes to an end. Let's start another.

Last edited:

jenks33

I get why people are questioning our effort. 4-0 down at home and effort levels will always be questioned. Pains me to say it but I doubt our quality more than our effort. We are lethal on the powerplay and our netminding is usually solid. Do we have much else tho? 5 on 5 we are too easy to play against. Another home game goes by where Skalde can’t be happy with most of it

OJLloyd

At the risk of sounding like a pessimist, the coach has (from my view of elite prospects) only ever been head coach at teams who were largely lower end of their respective leagues.

Is our lack of offence a result of a “this is what I’ve always done” approach perhaps?

AJ73

I thought Hogarth was an absolute abomination tonight.
Crandall, Sanford, Dixon and Batch had strong games tonight for me - but we seem to be carry a few too many players at the minute.
Agree with the points around looking toothless 5v5 - we look like a different team with more space on the ice.

CaldicotDevil

Annoyed by how easy a night Ellerby had considering his hit on Duggan.

Think we got a good core group but we’re going to need to chop and change 1/2 if we want trophies this season. Dupoint seems to be the scapegoat but he’s at least showed glimpses of what he can offer. I think he’ll come good. Lammon to me is a much bigger concern. Don’t know what he brings.

august04 2.0

Easy to blame some bizarre officiating, particularly from Hogarth, but my God we were very average tonight at best. For 55 mins it was pretty awful. I couldn't believe the number of odd man rushes we gave up again tonight and while Carruth was perhaps not at his absolute best, he bailed us out time and time again on some grade A chances created by Sheffield. Whereas at the other end of the ice, we created very little. Some good character shown at the end with the comeback but we were second best tonight and Sheffield deserved the win, no doubt about it. Some on here won't have a word said against him, but DuPont was dreadful tonight. We need so much more from him, particularly when we're playing the top teams - the odd good shift or assist is just not enough from a player signed to centre our first line. When we needed a goal at the end in the last few minutes, he’s firmly sat on the bench. That just says it all. He wasn’t the only one tonight though, against a depleted Sheffield side. Not even a goalie fight to make up for the disappointment.

Last edited:

jimmy snels

I'll say it again. Our forwards are collectively too small, not allowing us to retain puck possession in the opposition end. We constantly get the puck taken off us not allowing us to sustain any pressure.
We are lucky carruth is in net imo. We'd be getting hammered if it was bowns (im expecting flack for that but i mean it 100).
Register and O'connor turn over so many pucks. Register was completely at fault for the 2nd, just slack lazy play. Very frustrated

august04 2.0

Think we got a good core group but we’re going to need to chop and change 1/2 if we want trophies this season. Dupoint seems to be the scapegoat but he’s at least showed glimpses of what he can offer. I think he’ll come good. Lammon to me is a much bigger concern. Don’t know what he brings.
Lammon was always going to be a third liner at best. DuPont was signed to centre the first line and no doubt taking up much more of the budget. That’s the difference. But neither is producing much really.

Last edited:

jenks33

I'll say it again. Our forwards are collectively too small, not allowing us to retain puck possession in the opposition end. We constantly get the puck taken off us not allowing us to sustain any pressure.
We are lucky carruth is in net imo. We'd be getting hammered if it was bowns (im expecting flack for that but i mean it 100).
Register and O'connor turn over so many pucks. Register was completely at fault for the 2nd, just slack lazy play. Very frustrated
We’ve definitely got too many small forwards. Yes it looks pretty at times but they get bullied off the puck too easily 5 on 5

jenks33

Easy to blame some bizarre officiating, particularly from Hogarth, but my God we were very average tonight at best. For 55 mins it was pretty awful. I couldn't believe the number of odd man rushes we gave up again tonight and while Carruth was perhaps not at his absolute best, he bailed us out time and time again on some grade A chances created by Sheffield. Whereas at the other end of the ice, we created very little. Some good character shown at the end with the comeback but we were second best tonight and Sheffield deserved the win, no doubt about it. Some on here won't have a word said against him, but DuPont was dreadful tonight. We need so much more from him, particularly when we're playing the top teams - the odd good shift or assist is just not enough from a player signed to centre our first line. When we needed a goal at the end in the last few minutes, he’s firmly sat on the bench. That just says it all. He wasn’t the only one tonight though, against a depleted Sheffield side. Not even a goalie fight to make up for the disappointment.
Agree with you on Dupont. I’ve stuck up for him several times but I thought he was poor tonight. I sound like a broken record but the lack of a top first line centre will hurt us all season. I love Dixon but he’s not a first line centre

Hockeymad

I'm all for slagging players off but I honestly don't think we were that bad.

Yes we could have been a bit more physical tonight. But if those shots go in we win that game quite comfortably.

Carruth fell over for there first thats not his fault.

The effort was there. 100%

As I said before I think the quality of players is not.

So if nothing changes we will be 3rd or 4th best end of season.

jenks33

Problem I’ve always had with the signing of Lammon is was he needed? I thought it was a strange signing in the first place. Let’s be honest he’s a third line grafter that provides very little offensive upside and he isn’t physical. I think Duggan and Ben Davies can provide us with what Lammon brings. I would have much preferred us to sign another Centre that was going to chip in more offensively

Devil94

Agree with you on Dupont. I’ve stuck up for him several times but I thought he was poor tonight. I sound like a broken record but the lack of a top first line centre will hurt us all season. I love Dixon but he’s not a first line centre
Why isn't he a first line centre? He's been playing that role all year, one of his linemates is the top goal scorer in the league, and the other leads the league in assists. To me that makes it the best line in the league, and he's running it.

He's not a Joey Martin type player, but he doesn't need to be playing with those two. It's about how they compliment each other. He's winning faceoffs, hitting, making room in front of the net and he scores the tap ins. First line centre position is not a concern right now.

Hedd Wyn John

In terms of forwards the Devils were eaily outmuscled by the steelers. I think our small size up front is a clear handicap. Steelers easily kept us to the boards, so there were long periods work little threat from our attack. 5 on 5 play is a weakness. Then our defence which has not improved and does not look it will. Dowd at one point skaters past our players like they were standing still. Carruth had to make so many big saves, they could have been 6 or 8 goals up at one point. While it's tempting to take heart from the fightback by then I think steelers had taken their foot off the gas.