Steelers vs Devils - League 26th Sept 21

Wannabe2

We took a point, definately deserved 2 as at one time we could easily have been up by 4, some decisions were horrific, O,Connors penalty was crucial and was the turning point. So no McNally, Ritchie out for some reason this 19 players crap is just that crap. So we took a point, we now move on at least we have our game back.

Slartibartfast

It was a great game to watch and at 4-2 the Steelers could not buy a goal and Devils looked in control. I rarely call players out but that penalty that O Connor took was possibly the most pointless I have ever seen. There was no advantage gained from checking a guy into the boards nowhere near the puck and there wasn't even any anger or aggression in it. It completely turned the game and gave the Steelers belief. Other than that I thought the team played well. Overtime is always a gamble.
Special mention to Brodie Reid who is just shining in every game now. I think he finished with 4 points.
Waller is also shining with Cox and Sandford.
Don't be too hard on the team. For 50 minutes they looked the better team and we came out of Steelers barn with a point.
Steelers stuffed Manchester 8-3 yesterday. As always they are a really good team. We will beat them.

Hedd Wyn John

Devils seem to struggle to capitalise when momentum is with them, at one point it was like a shooting gallery vs Flames last night & we couldn't find a way too score. I remember thinking if we give up so many odd man rushes against a stronger side (aka Sheffield, Belfast etc) then they'll punish us. As it was Guildford didn't really take advantage but we've seen tonight how Sheffield have the finish to do that. A point is better than nothing but they needed to dig deep & hold on like I've seen previous Devils teams do in the past.

moggy#9

DuPont is a big problem, we simply need more from him. This guy was signed to replace Joey Martin! He’s played enough now to be showing us something but I’m not seeing anything. He needs to buck his ideas up and quickly.
We know we're never going to cut him. I just hope is that we do in fact have a new impact player coming in in the next couple of weeks.

Devil94

Sheffield benefited in the latter stages of the game of having the same core group of players as last few seasons. When players are more familiar with each other, that can really make a difference in high pressure moments, and it will take time for us to build that.

jenks33

It was a great game to watch and at 4-2 the Steelers could not buy a goal and Devils looked in control. I rarely call players out but that penalty that O Connor took was possibly the most pointless I have ever seen. There was no advantage gained from checking a guy into the boards nowhere near the puck and there wasn't even any anger or aggression in it. It completely turned the game and gave the Steelers belief. Other than that I thought the team played well. Overtime is always a gamble.
Special mention to Brodie Reid who is just shining in every game now. I think he finished with 4 points.
Waller is also shining with Cox and Sandford.
Don't be too hard on the team. For 50 minutes they looked the better team and we came out of Steelers barn with a point.
Steelers stuffed Manchester 8-3 yesterday. As always they are a really good team. We will beat them.
Yeah I thought Steelers were running out of ideas at 2-4 down. I thought we looked fairly comfortable. That penalty on O’Connor was a killler. Devils will feel aggrieved at the non call just after Steelers 3rd goal. It was a blatant trip and Franny was furious on the bench. Fine margins

Gisland

Absolutely correct the win is the main priority, but if we can win, and beat the crap out of them all the better. If we were at home winning this game and whipping their arse at the same time our roof would be in Penarth, so let’s do it in the house of rust, why not let’s put the marker down pretenders you are just that pretenders.
Knew this would bite back.. Steelers are a good team, with a good coach. They raised a banner, forced their way back into the game and won in overtime. No pretenders here for me, they look very comfortable. Devils are a good side, but their defence looks a little shakey.
Having had the additional competitive games under their belt, I just thought they would have been more the finished article

moggy#9

Sheffield benefited in the latter stages of the game of having the same core group of players as last few seasons. When players are more familiar with each other, that can really make a difference in high pressure moments, and it will take time for us to build that.
I can't disagree with that, but stuff like the break aways point to other issues. It's difficult to see from TV, but is the d pinching up too high?

moggy#9

Knew this would bite back.. Steelers are a good team, with a good coach. They raised a banner, forced their way back into the game and won in overtime. No pretenders here for me, they look very comfortable. Devils are a good side, but their defence looks a little shakey.
Having had the additional competitive games under their belt, I just thought they would have been more the finished article
Fair comments.

august04 2.0

We took a point, definately deserved 2 as at one time we could easily have been up by 4, some decisions were horrific, O,Connors penalty was crucial and was the turning point. So no McNally, Ritchie out for some reason this 19 players crap is just that crap. So we took a point, we now move on at least we have our game back.
I can just imagine the discussions within the EIHL about this 19 player roster limit and how if it works for the ECHL, it’s good enough for us. In a season likely to be effected by Covid too, this is the most ridiculous and ill thought-out rule, which not only risks the welfare of players when teams are short benched but hampers the development of British players. Utter madness and needs changing.

Last edited:

Wannabe2

i really don't think we'll challenge sheffield or belfast as they have more strength in depth.our defence was shaky all game and i was'nt cofident we'de win even when we went 4-2 up.i think only having 13 imports with 2 being netminders is a huge mistake and will cost us points in the latter stages of games as our players tire.
How can you say we won’t challenge Steelers, we just threw that game away against them having been 4-2 up at their gaff, a few lousy calls against us. If they take a point at our place they will be happy, it’s early days we will sort it.

jenks33

Last paragraph is slightly harsh. “More the finished article” it’s the first league match in September! I’m sure most teams would take being 4-2 up in Sheffield with 7 minutes left. Devils were in complete control but one stupid penalty can change a game and it did

moggy#9

I can just imagine the discussions within the EIHL about this 19 player roster limit and how if it works for the ECHL, it’s good enough for us. In a season likely to be effected by Covid too, this is the most ridiculous and ill thought-out rule, which not only risks the welfare of players when teams are short benched but hampers the development of British players. Utter madness and needs changing.
I can almost guess which teams wanted that rule.

BostonBart22

It will change especially if few more teams lose top players early in the season..

teams are running with more imports than us,we only have 13 of which 2 are imports.we did well today until the last 10 minutes and tired.as the season goes on i see this as a major problem for us.i think we can write off the fife game in the triple header as come that game we'll be knackerd.we need at least one import and possibly a spare too if we hope to compete.lets not forget steelers have played less games than us and will be better next time we play them,will we?in my opinion were not title contenders because we lack strength in depth.

BostonBart22

Very unusual for cox, sandford or cox not to score in our 2 games this weekend
teams are running with more imports than us,we only have 13 of which 2 are imports.we did well today until the last 10 minutes and tired.as the season goes on i see this as a major problem for us.i think we can write off the fife game in the triple header as come that game we'll be knackerd.we need at least one import and possibly a spare too if we hope to compete.lets not forget steelers have played less games than us and will be better next time we play them,will we?in my opinion were not title contenders because we lack strength in depth.
New import coming in october , believe me..

steelers started the 19/20 seaon intending to play 2 import netminders every game.it only lasted a few games because they were losing to many games so went with import netminder with a british back up.if it did'nt work then when you could have a 20 man squad it certainly wont work with a 19 man squad where every outfield import is crucial.