Devils at mannheim

Wannabe2

15 skaters against the best team in Germany, only our 3rd game together we can only get stronger, and certainly will get better. We couldn’t score against this team at ours, but scored 2 tonight and it could have been 3/4, these lads gave their all tonight, yes we made some mistakes and very good teams will punish you for that and they did. But these lads must have been close to being on their knees in the3rd, so hats off to them we are 3-4 leagues under these teams, so all in all judge this team against Giants, Steelers etc not Mannheim, Lausanne etc.

doron

cox and sanford, and the 2 goalies all played well. but the game was very fast-paced. a lot of bad passes. but i still think the team is going to be good.

moggy#9

Thread starter #63
cox and sanford, and the 2 goalies all played well. but the game was very fast-paced. a lot of bad passes. but i still think the team is going to be good.
Once they can start getting passes tape to tape they're going to destroy some elite league teams.

Slartibartfast

Yes Mannheim are way out of our league but I saw 2 teams tonight. 1 that seemed to lack confidence and didn't back each other up and then for 10 minutes in the third I saw the team that beat Lausanne. The puck carrier was supported, they backchecked and forechecked relentlessly and hit and competed against a top DEL team. If Skalde can get that out of them for 60 minutes and cut down on the errors the future is bright. Its been a tough start for a new young team but hopefully that will build charachter. Lots of work to do but best to get it wrong in a competition that we can't win rather than a domestic league that we can win.
On another subject, I don't think there is any doubt about who our top scorer will be.

Mazzoak

Jesus 3 games in after 18 months of no hockey (No Revenue) a new coach (who’s hardly had time to unpack) a new team (who’ve had little preparation) and the armchair critics have unleashed the “lost the league“ attitude before the seasons started.
Im not sure if it’s a lack of hockey knowledge, stupidity, amnesia or trying to sound clever with the most basic of comments taken from playing NHL 21 on their consoles in a hope of seeming credible.
Just look at the resume of the opponents, Kelman would bankrupt the Devils just signing 6 of their guys. The CHL isn’t a competition anyone from the EIHL could confidently compete in, tonight was inevitable, last weekend we got lucky (it happens) and the chances this team will win anything 21/22 season is dubious.

So let’s grow up, get behind the team and support the club.

ASHIPP

What competing in the CHL does is offer a unique experience early in the season. The odds are always going to be stacked against smaller rosters with the added challenges of lack of warm up games and additional Covid problems.

To aim to be better, you have to play against the best. It gives our guys the chance to test their tactics and style and improve their mistakes. All this before the domestic season starts...... against UK teams who are still trying to find their groove. Don't think the Devils need to worry.

At least they were in the competition, competing and learning. It's advertising and exposure for our Club on the bigger stage.

Fans of other teams can scoff, but isn't the other tournament, the Continental Cup, played mid season when teams are well into the domestic schedule and have had time to prepare?That is the second tier European competition better matched against teams of similar skill and size? Performances are obviously going to be better.

Meridian

Understand a lot of thoughts tonight. But I don't think we've ever been this undercooked for a CHL campaign and to add to that, other than one poster we've always done better so I think as a fan base we've expected to compete more and more each year.

The fact we've won a game in the CHL this year to me is enough to say these guys are very good! If 2 months in we aren't in the top 3 I'll concede.

Devil94

Far from the performance we put in on saturday, but not a terrible display at all, and some good glimpses shown. The Cox and Sanford line again the most dangerous, and that third line with Ben Davies on it is going to be fun. The 1st line seem to take longer to get their legs, but they're an experienced group so will come good.

You could see the tiredness there tonight, and with dmen playing 30 mins a night you can understand why. Register looks the real deal though, we haven't really seen his offensive play yet but looks more than solid in defense.

Some of those Mannheim players though are a different breed. Huge guys but they can still move so well.

Ocko

Madness that anyone is judging the team against CHL opposition. Particularly individually. Does anyone honestly think the team will look good against this standard of opposition? If any of the players we signed were of the standard to look good against Manheim, then they wouldn’t have signed for us. When you think Hotham, arguably our best D in the modern era played for the worst team in the DEL and was cut it tells you the level those teams are at. We are the level of an average DEL2 team at best so the fact this game wasnt in double figures is quite acceptable to me.

When we’re 15 games into the season then maybe opinions would look a bit better than being petulant after a loss.

Wannabe2

Madness that anyone is judging the team against CHL opposition. Particularly individually. Does anyone honestly think the team will look good against this standard of opposition? If any of the players we signed were of the standard to look good against Manheim, then they wouldn’t have signed for us. When you think Hotham, arguably our best D in the modern era played for the worst team in the DEL and was cut it tells you the level those teams are at. We are the level of an average DEL2 team at best so the fact this game wasnt in double figures is quite acceptable to me.

When we’re 15 games into the season then maybe opinions would look a bit better than being petulant after a loss.
Listen to this man as he knows what he is talking about, ignore it and dream on.

Hedd Wyn John

Very true observation. Some people don't grasp how big the gulf is between the EIHL and top CHL teams. The disparity in budget is vast. If the Devils by some miracle found a way to regularly beat these top teams all our players would be snapped up like Benny Blood was.

mjh

I'm quite excited to see how Waller gets on against some of the domestic competition. He's shown a lot of speed and swagger so far. Cox and Sandford are looking by far the most dangerous guys on the team but they've got the advantage of ready chemistry. I'm expecting the other lines to develop quickly once we play less intense opposition.

august04 2.0

Ben Blood was playing at the top level in Finland for 3 years before he came to us, I saw him play for the Pelicans over there. I was more surprised that he came to us in the first place, and not that he was picked up by Tampere after playing for us, as he was a well known player in Finland (and pretty tough too as well as being popular on social media!). Not really snapped up because of any CHL exploits for us.