Money generator for the club .....

moggy#9

I was thinking about money raising that is: cheap to put together, doesn't require hockey, has ongoing value and which scales well. By "scales well" I mean the input costs are decoupled from the revenue generated - eg for every shirt you sell, there are associated manufacturing and distribution costs.

My solution is an expansion of the devils YouTube content which can be monetised, though I'll leave others to comment on how profitable that can or can't be.

Content could include stuff on the history of the club, and of British hockey, stuff on tactics and skills, hockey fitness, information on how stuff behind the scenes works (league management, the process of making signings etc), catch-ups with players out on loan and things like that. Another benefit would be you could end up with clips that could be run in period breaks at games. When it comes to recruitment the content could help out the club in the shop window for new players.

I'm thinking of something along the lines of "the hockey guy", which manages to be both informative and entertaining. Todd has exactly the personality for this.

I like @JC23's idea of the zoom with Skalde. Would be excellent.

Unfortunately I can't see an expansion of YouTube making the club enough money for it to make sense financially, you need big numbers to make significant money and with what it would require to make such videos, I doubt it'd be worthwhile, unfortunately.

moggy#9

I like @JC23's idea of the zoom with Skalde. Would be excellent.

Unfortunately I can't see an expansion of YouTube making the club enough money for it to make sense financially, you need big numbers to make significant money and with what it would require to make such videos, I doubt it'd be worthwhile, unfortunately.
I don't know about how many followers are needed to make money, but some of the channels I follow seem to be fine on a shoestring.

moggy#9

Mr Donovan would be an excellent co-host as he has the encyclopaedic historical Devils knowledge as well.
There are also plenty of former journalists and elder members of the fan base with stories to share, not to mention former players. Off the top of my head there's the Telford walk off, the first ever trophy in Trafford, that match at Wembley, the first Europa cup win in Copenhagen andthe Tilburg weekend. Oh, and in almost forgot the body in the bar in Minsk.

Last edited:

Mazzoak

I’m not really sure how much Skalde & Donovan could bring to a Zoom discussion to be honest. I’m assume he’s not been in Cardiff yet, seen the rink, the team as there isn’t one. Beyond a lot of agreeing with Donovan, he’s not going to contradict anything, he can’t say previous team where this or that, that Cardiff fans are rubbish or noisy etc etc. The only discussion would be his past & a bit about himself. I’m so over Zoom meetings.........

Personally I’d leave it to a night of meet the Coach & a massive Cardiff welcome to his family at the IAW, centre ice, big spot light, lots of noise, lots of theatrics, some intro videos, announce the team as they enter the rink. We all get pi88ed and stick a finger up at a picture of Covid. Even better charge £10 a puck shot at a picture of Covid attached to a goal, maybe dip the puck in petrol, light it up, we could call it Fire Puck, could be spectacular with the lights dimmed, as long as whoever shooting it aims straight.

Hedd Wyn John

I was thinking about money raising that is: cheap to put together, doesn't require hockey, has ongoing value and which scales well. By "scales well" I mean the input costs are decoupled from the revenue generated - eg for every shirt you sell, there are associated manufacturing and distribution costs.

My solution is an expansion of the devils YouTube content which can be monetised, though I'll leave others to comment on how profitable that can or can't be.

Content could include stuff on the history of the club, and of British hockey, stuff on tactics and skills, hockey fitness, information on how stuff behind the scenes works (league management, the process of making signings etc), catch-ups with players out on loan and things like that. Another benefit would be you could end up with clips that could be run in period breaks at games. When it comes to recruitment the content could help out the club in the shop window for new players.

I'm thinking of something along the lines of "the hockey guy", which manages to be both informative and entertaining. Todd has exactly the personality for this.
while an expanded Cardiff DevilsYouTube content is a great idea from the fans of perspective it’s not really a money spinner. YouTube channels basically make money through adverts and to make any kind of decent revenue the channel will need tens of thousands of regular viewers. It just wouldn’t be worth it for the devils as you won’t make the money to cover your costs.

moggy#9

while an expanded Cardiff DevilsYouTube content is a great idea from the fans of perspective it’s not really a money spinner. YouTube channels basically make money through adverts and to make any kind of decent revenue the channel will need tens of thousands of regular viewers. It just wouldn’t be worth it for the devils as you won’t make the money to cover your costs.
I can see that on basic video monetisation, but I see a lot of videos that contain paid sponsorship.

Diafol

Don't know how much interest there would be for this, but I'm surprised the club didn't bring out "Season Review" DVDs for the title-winning seasons.
I'm sure they would have sold like hot cakes at the time.
I'd still definitely add them to my collection if they ever came out.
Also the two victorious Playoff Finals would be nice to have as well, hint hint...

Wannabe2

Play off finals footage belongs to the league I believe, so no monetary gains there unfortunately, could be wrong though.