CHL draw

Martynwo

I spent 2 weeks in Oslo and surrounding areas on business a while back it t is VERY expensive,
2 Pizza 4 beers in a local back-street cafe £110 !!

Devils86

I spent 2 weeks in Oslo and surrounding areas on business a while back it t is VERY expensive,
2 Pizza 4 beers in a local back-street cafe £110 !!
Did the waiter hold you up at gun point?!

Good point made on Twitter that currently Norway has closed the border to arrivals from Sweden due to their handling of Covid-19. Hence if going via Oslo then coming back out of Sweden might be an issue.

Maybe an Oslo-Karlstad-Stockholm job...

But without any beer or pizza (so what’s the point?!)

ASHIPP

Not to mention if passenger arrival quarantine restrictions of sorts still in place in UK by then. Self isolation is OK if you are returning and working from home anyway. Different if you have to return to an actual work place.

And the Karlstad arena..... Will the game be played behind closed doors?

A good few days exploring Oslo or Stockholm instead would be money well spent.

Last edited:

Ejercito Rojas

The biggest potential problem here is whether the UK govt actually allow indoor sports arenas to open fully and games are allowed to take place without SD protocols.
Baring in mind that the Devils team will have to be in Cardiff and practicing ‘full contact’ training probably by mid September at the very latest the Devils participation in the CHL games is still very much in doubt.
As has been stated before, SD at the IAW is unworkable and playing behind closed doors is also unworkable so it’s fingers crossed for miraculous discovery of an efficacious and deliverable vaccine by then.
As a side note I would have loved a DEL team or another EBEL team as I’m a little fed up with my annual autumn break in Sweden!

MMcC

Not knowing much about any of the teams involved ( and there must be many like me),
is this good or difficult for Devils?
I'd say it's a difficult draw for the Devils but not but it's still a different entity to Frölunda, who really deserve to be put in a different bracket in CHL terms, even if they don't top SHL every year.

Frölunda are able to keep a lot of their top players for a few reasons - they can pay them well and it's easier to keep players in Gothenburg. They also have a revolving door of serious, sometimes world class junior talent.

It's more sporadic with the other Swedish outfits in SHL/Allsvenskan. Färjestad are much more subject to roster fluctuation in the off season. It'll still be a long shot for the Devils though, even assuming we can put out a strong roster for the season.

Personally I'd much rather take this draw over Frölunda or 2 of the other Swedish sides in this year - Luleå or Skellefteå.
The 5th Swedish team in the draw was Rögle, who are probably on a par with Färjestad in terms of spending power, depth and consistency. Not to mention they are now losing Dominik Bokk, Nils Hoglander and Kodie Curran to the AHL/NHL next season.

The Swedish players have also had actual ice time throughout this whole COVID-19 business and Sweden hasn't operated a strict lockdown like the rest of Europe. A lot of the Swedish NHL players headed home and have been skating whilst awaiting the resume of play.
CHL start dates are a long way off though, so whether this really makes any difference remains to be seen.

moggy#9

Thread starter #29
The biggest potential problem here is whether the UK govt actually allow indoor sports arenas to open fully and games are allowed to take place without SD protocols.
Baring in mind that the Devils team will have to be in Cardiff and practicing ‘full contact’ training probably by mid September at the very latest the Devils participation in the CHL games is still very much in doubt.
As has been stated before, SD at the IAW is unworkable and playing behind closed doors is also unworkable so it’s fingers crossed for miraculous discovery of an efficacious and deliverable vaccine by then.
As a side note I would have loved a DEL team or another EBEL team as I’m a little fed up with my annual autumn break in Sweden!
I suspect that in countries where restrictions are in place making it impossible to fulfil fixtures, the result will be awarded to the other team. I wouldn't be surprised if much of the way the CHL turns out next season is more about respective given policies than hockey.

kingmo19.1

Considering the reduced income next season from the lost CHL group games plus the (best case scenario - at this point in time) possibility of vastly reduced home crowds due to social distancing what will all that mean in terms of actual team budget ?

I think if the above remained in place then the 20-21 team would be vastly inferior to what we’ve seen in recent years and the CHL campaign (if you want to cal it that) could turn out to be a complete farce for us.

Earnie

Yes there is loss of income due to fewer CHL games. However there is less expenditure also. If you consider the money from a home game would cover the cost of an away game then it all levels out.
As for social distancing within the Arena - if that is the case then in my opinion the season would be cancelled. We need three thousand bums on seats.

moggy#9

Thread starter #36
Ok fair enough.
But I do not reckon it is a crippling cost.
I think that, in business terms, it's potentially a loss leader. The cost to the business is offset by the increased publicity, enhanced ability to draw sponsorship and ability to attract players we couldn't otherwise get. The level of prestige for the club is massive, and it's nice to be able to play them on NHL20. BTW our opponents in the CHL this year - don't worry about them. I beat them 3 times on Wednesday night with the devils on that very game.

Ger-Devils

It doesn’t change until 23-24 season.

Also some information below from Dumenig a friend from Davos as a few people asked on twitter

“Well I can calm you all with regards to the small leagues. From the statement of the CHL I get that the big leagues will have to concede spots, while the smaller leagues are still included. Probably such that only Champions and Reg. Season winners take part like back in 2008/09.

This leads to more prize money per team and hopefully to some big leagues taking things more seriously and attract a bigger crowd since there's no more games against 5th placed teams from Finland or whatever.

Back in 2008/09 the CHL attracted huge crowds with having only 2 KHL, 2 SHL, 2 Liiga, 2 NL, 2 Czech, 1 DEL and 1 Slovak team in the main round. “

kettdevil1

I would imagine that things will look better by then but it would be useful to get some guidance about away fans at some point before we book flights etc