The future of the Elite League and its teams

This is doable, the real question is could you get enough people in with spacing to make it viable and would government (all 4) allow it.
If you expect to sit in your usual seat and have all the usual bars and food options, roaming 50/50 sales, etc, etc you will be disappointed as it will be a very different game night experience, but as a logistics exercise it can be done.

Kevlar68

I don't know the numbers for season ticket holders so just going on a rough guide here.

Viola has 3100 capacity, so if half are season ticket holders lets say that's 1550 with 1550 seats lay empty for social distancing purposes.
You'd need 3 seats empty between each person as that is 2M and a row in front and behind empty for more social distancing or seat separation even further than 2M so the row in front can also be used but it would work out the same in the end anyway.
Would there still be enough seats just for season ticket holders only?
Now we'll put a average price per seat at £15, seats empty would total £23,250 lost revenue per game if full, add to that the rest of the revenue generators on a match night you could be looking at around a £30,000 loss per game just to abide with the social distancing rule.
That's a hell of allot to lose for a team in the EIHL.
There are problems upon problems with social distancing not just about how to police the arena.

For EIHL teams to survive at the level they play now they would need close to capacity arenas.

Last edited:

kingmo19.1

I see 2 options to this :-

1. All games behind closed doors.
2. Rinks open with vastly reduced attendance.

Either of the above will be a massive financial hit (to all teams) and there is no way I see them sustainIng a squad of 13/14 imports plus brits under the circumstances.

If the season does go ahead (TBC), not only will the league need to implement team plus support staff regular testing (again that is not cheap) plus associated rink support staff.

I read that a League 2 football team costed the above and this amounted to £140k.

If the season does go ahead, I can see a vastly reduced import level - maybe 4/5 per team supplemented with Brits.

For the EIHL to function, it would need to be a level playing field for all teams concerning imports - otherwise I can see 4-5 teams dropping out.

ASHIPP

I know this is on a different scale in every aspects, including sponsorships and travel restrictionsbut the NHL is considering games resuming in 'hub' arenas where several teams travel to the one arena and play a series of games all behind closed doors.

osh

Yeh I heard something similar. Crazy idea in my mind. It simply increases the chances of players, officials and all off ice staff increasing the risk of passing the Covid19 virus around to everyone who gathers in such a ‘hub‘ arena. Surely it’s easier to play one game and then arrange to sanitise the area as best as possible. I can’t see it work8ngnwirh maybe 8 or 10 teams gathering in one place, it’s asking for trouble. NHL teams will probably get through this pandemic scare by playing in empty stadiums Due to TV and sponsorship providing huge sums to part subsidise team’s overheads. It won’t happen here as we are never able to raise sufficient funds from any main sponsors.

Devil94

This league can't run on matches behind closed doors, or even reduced attendance.
As someone said above, probably not enough room for all season tickets with us. Will be the same for Sheffield as they would surely have to play their games at Ice Sheffield. Belfast might be ok as they're always half empty, but it wouldn't even be sustainable Nottingham, and definitely not for Clan, Manchester, Coventry, Fife.
Even though the start of the season is still months away, I do think the league will have to make a decision soon. Clubs haven't got the means to deal with the uncertainty.

Bettman just seems determined to get the NHL season finished this year and delaying the start of next season. He's proposed to move next years NHL start date to Nov/Dec which may become permanent (depending on TV figures).

With most hockey leagues geared up around the NHL, I can see most leagues delaying the start of next year to run parallel with the NHL. For me running the EIHL next year may be Dec-June seems a lot more sensible than rushing back in October. Not sure how fans will feels if that's made permanent though.

kingmo19.1

Bettman just seems determined to get the NHL season finished this year and delaying the start of next season. He's proposed to move next years NHL start date to Nov/Dec which may become permanent (depending on TV figures).

With most hockey leagues geared up around the NHL, I can see most leagues delaying the start of next year to run parallel with the NHL. For me running the EIHL next year may be Dec-June seems a lot more sensible than rushing back in October. Not sure how fans will feels if that's made permanent though.
That makes sense to me - why rush back when it’s not completely necessary to do so

Devilsatw

Anyone else think the season won't start? Or am the only one who thinks it will? Horse racing starts in 2 weeks football already being played basketball etc will be played behind doors.

We are still 4 mths away I'm optimistic always have been

august04

I’d be quite happy for the season to start in December and end in May, if it’s that or no hockey at all. Kelman has already said we’re a bums on seats league and for me, the season isn’t feasible without there being close to normal attendances. We can’t survive on TV money, because there probably Isn’t any! If a vaccine does become available (and it’s a big if), it’s more likely to be towards the end of the year rather than in the Autumn - so planning for a December start makes sense. Travel is more likely to be more accessible then as well, to get players in and for the CHL if that ever happens this year (I suspect it won’t).

august04

It's weird. No one seems to know what sport is allowed and not allowed to be played. Rules have been broken by the government yet they expect everyone else to listen
There’s a huge difference between a government advisor breaking lockdown rules and allowing mass attendance in an indoor sports venue! I thought you knew months ago that the season was going ahead, and on time?!