What’s your take on this

BostonBart22

a question was asked earlier after a hit on shaonne on Wednesday would i have given up the incoming power play to see us stick up for our fallen comrade. simply yes i would. i would be far more aggressive in our general play and in particular these situations with us playing 4 lines and most teams against us having a minimum of 3 players less than us on most game nights. a short benched fife shouldnt feel comfortable being the aggressors in our rink but sadly we have gradually reduced our physical approuch year on year.
There is also a huge difference between sucker punching someone after a hit like that and offering them to go, push them about a bit and dishing out a facewash. we are so passive its unreal. And thats what i miss from yesteryear
To be fair I was at home watching the game and it came across as a clean hit on Morrisson, ok if Louis { still bemused why he didnt play } was on the ice or even batch they couldve had a few words with the player involved but not drop the gloves and risk a 17 minute instigator penalty for a legal hit.

Mazzoak

I think this is why a lot of people find issue with you mazzoak, you do post sometimes decent opinions but you're so quick to just slag off the devils/management or as you have just said Jump ship
So what. If anybody has got personal issues with me DM me. As admin say attack the post not the poster.
I also shop at Asda, Tesco, Morrisons. Hockey for me is a product not a lifestyle. I don’t care who owns what. A response from an owner doesn’t make you their buddy. So no l don’t care who l watch.

jimmy snels

To be fair I was at home watching the game and it came across as a clean hit on Morrisson, ok if Louis { still bemused why he didnt play } was on the ice or even batch they couldve had a few words with the player involved but not drop the gloves and risk a 17 minute instigator penalty for a legal hit.
as we had blair riley on the ice right next to it (someone sold as a power forward willing to drop gloves as shown through countless youtube videos), i would have expected a bigger reaction personally. I'm not saying drop gloves necessarily, just step in and show more willing, more team comradeship, more aggression in your home barn. It has been coached out of our lads imho and almost every actual physical player has fallen out with lord be that mychan, hendrikx, bordy and allegedly farayna. Even Louis has been left out randomly when clearly more of an attraction to watch physically from a fan point (and just this weekend reddick partnered with mcmonagle and possibly the most stupid pairing of players I've ever seen in his place).

hip check

Do we give up a power play for revenge/retribution - maybe; but

I'm an advocate of John Lawless (and I paraphrase - it's so long ago!) - we take revenge through a goal
That can't be taken as a definite though, this season we are not so hot in front of goal, a physical challenge to the offending player though would be a definite.

august04

Do we give up a power play for revenge/retribution - maybe; but
I'm an advocate of John Lawless (and I paraphrase - it's so long ago!) - we take revenge through a goal
That was always Lawless’ mantra but I don’t remember too many taking liberties with us back then, quite the opposite in fact, and even no.9 could be a dirty so and so when he wanted to be!

Last edited:

Gospel

We have players in this squad that can look after team mates, Batch, Louis, Riley but for some reason they dont react to things, why? It doesnt have to be a fight but a word in the ear, a little scrum to show its not going to be tolerated. It doesnt happen though. This must be a coaching tactic but is it derived from how refs rule on games or how the game has changed?

There have been hugely entertaining games when teams had ‘enforcers’ that didnt have any fights but still had good legal big hits we dont see those games any more. Why?

I cant see any teams changing unless fan numbers start to drop but in the UK teams cant really afford to lose fans as the income isnt great and is mainly from fans.

One last question, anybody have the stats for the number of fights this season in the EIHL compared to previous seasons & other leagues? Thanks

RedDevil17

We have players in this squad that can look after team mates, Batch, Louis, Riley but for some reason they dont react to things, why? It doesnt have to be a fight but a word in the ear, a little scrum to show its not going to be tolerated. It doesnt happen though. This must be a coaching tactic but is it derived from how refs rule on games or how the game has changed?

There have been hugely entertaining games when teams had ‘enforcers’ that didnt have any fights but still had good legal big hits we dont see those games any more. Why?

I cant see any teams changing unless fan numbers start to drop but in the UK teams cant really afford to lose fans as the income isnt great and is mainly from fans.

One last question, anybody have the stats for the number of fights this season in the EIHL compared to previous seasons & other leagues? Thanks
We’d be near the bottom in terms of fights!

pjj365

Seem to remember a couple of months ago that Simmsey called out the officiating on the basis that they are so inconsistent coaches are cautious about any hard play. I think this was also mentioned at a pre-game Q&A earlier in the season
So it looks like some of the hardness dropping off (across the leauge really) is down to officials forcing coaching decisions

Mazzoak

Seem to remember a couple of months ago that Simmsey called out the officiating on the basis that they are so inconsistent coaches are cautious about any hard play. I think this was also mentioned at a pre-game Q&A earlier in the season
So it looks like some of the hardness dropping off (across the leauge really) is down to officials forcing coaching decisions
The cynic in me is calling Simms a liar......

The officials are dictated to by DOPS, their dictated to by their employer, so yeah it all comes back to people who hold the power, Simms being one of them. They wouldn’t publicly admit any intervention.......