Devils Vs Flyers - 19 02 20 - League

Diablo3

With all due respect if you enjoyed that you must have enjoyed every ice hockey match you’ve ever been too.
-Worst team in the league playing a very defensive game, Albeit effectively. Goalie was good.
-Devils = A talented team at this level with several players that are low on confidence or struggling for form. Plenty of shots on goal but from the outside.

It really wasn’t a classic. But fair play for enjoying it
I'll stick my hand up... I enjoyed it too. OK not the prettiest game I've watched but it had drama and in the end we got the points. Went home happy.

jenks33

I'll stick my hand up... I enjoyed it too. OK not the prettiest game I've watched but it had drama and in the end we got the points. Went home happy.
Also happy we go the two points and the last 10 minutes certainly had some drama. The game as a whole though was garbage. Each to their own tho

Rich Best

The first season we won the league again (Scotham and co) we were down and came back in the third to win late a bunch of times!

Only difference was that then there was more hope than expectation.

Happy days!

august04

The first season we won the league again (Scotham and co) we were down and came back in the third to win late a bunch of times!

Only difference was that then there was more hope than expectation.

Happy days!
The other difference was that we played more entertaining hockey in that 16/17 season. Not too much evidence of that this year despite us being in a good position. I guess that doesn’t matter to some supporters who only care about winning, which I understand and is fair enough. Personally, I like to be entertained too rather than sit there being bored stiff, which I’m finding to be the case more and more often this year than for a long time.

Last edited:

Wannabe2

The other difference was that we played more entertaining hockey in that 16/17 season. Not too much evidence of that this year despite us being in a good position. I guess that doesn’t matter to some supporters who only care about winning, which I understand and and is fair enough. Personally, I like to be entertained too rather than sit there being bored stiff, which I’m finding to be the case more and more often this year than for a long time.
The entertainment difference between 16/17 and 19/20 is like night and day, most people went home far more entertained than now, we have not replaced players like Hotham, Blood, Faryna, Strachan etc, character players that could play it’s gone pretty sour lately.

kingmo19.1

The entertainment difference between 16/17 and 19/20 is like night and day, most people went home far more entertained than now, we have not replaced players like Hotham, Blood, Faryna, Strachan etc, character players that could play it’s gone pretty sour lately.
It sounds bizarre to say (considering our position in the league and the CC Final), but I'm hoping for a reasonable clear-out in the summer. Haddad's form has papered over the cracks this season and without him we'd be mid-table at best. Need a proven sniper on each line next season and a few more high-energy wingers.

voth26

With all due respect if you enjoyed that you must have enjoyed every ice hockey match you’ve ever been too.
-Worst team in the league playing a very defensive game, Albeit effectively. Goalie was good.
-Devils = A talented team at this level with several players that are low on confidence or struggling for form. Plenty of shots on goal but from the outside.

It really wasn’t a classic. But fair play for enjoying it
No I haven't enjoyed every game I've been to, and no it wasn't a classic by any stretch but last night I did, opinions vary my friend that's what makes the world go round

I think part of the reason some games may be perceived as lacking entertainment value is how opposition teams are setting up to play us. I've noticed a lot of teams playing a defensive trap, particularly teams sitting in the mid to lower reaches of the league who look to exploit us on the counter and defend as a 5 man unit behind the puck. I've even noticed Nottingham employ this. Absolutely cannot blame teams for doing this especially on the road as it's proven to steal results. My point being maybe this wasn't so common place 4 seasons back when we didn't quite have the rate of success we now have over recent past seasons, and potentially this is one of the downsides of being one of the league's "topdogs"? I think we would mostly agree the first season of the Calgary takeover was the most entertaining of recent times, but we'd be kidding ourselves if we thought teams approach to games against us was the same back then as it is to now!

I'm not claiming this is the sole reason for entertainment values dropping but I believe is a big part of it. The way the sport has developed globally and refereeing of the physical side of it in the EIHL has also had a negative impact. Internally I do think our roster is perhaps a little too "senior" to lend to a high energy game, maybe something we'll look to address next season.

On a positive note I'm sure the cup final game against Sheffield will be a cracker and exciting hockey...an example of how entertaining a game can be of free flowing hockey with no trap!

I hope if Louis don't go with Baldwin, Riley deals with him, this is something that shouldn't have carried over, it should have been dealt with on the night. Louis politely asked Baldwin for a fight, I think if Riley was playing he'd have no choice him. Tough guy Louis but to nice on times.

Wannabe2

Unfortunately fights are not even being allowed to happen, even on the rare event that two players want to go, as we unfortunately witnessed the other night, by those two numbskulls in stripes who wasn’t going to let it happen. Heaven forbid we should have something to shout about.

CaldicotDevil

Wasn't just our guys, the panto villians just aren't about. Over the last few years the leagues lost; Rosehill, Mcgrattan, Farmer, Noble, Janssen, Fitzy, Klotz, Stewart, Nickerson, Martnelli, Keefe, Desbiens and we had Bordy. Thats just the last 4/5 seasons.

Its not an EIHL thing its a hockey thing but when you lose big characters the entertainment value is going to drop.

moggy#9

I think part of the reason some games may be perceived as lacking entertainment value is how opposition teams are setting up to play us. I've noticed a lot of teams playing a defensive trap, particularly teams sitting in the mid to lower reaches of the league who look to exploit us on the counter and defend as a 5 man unit behind the puck. I've even noticed Nottingham employ this. Absolutely cannot blame teams for doing this especially on the road as it's proven to steal results. My point being maybe this wasn't so common place 4 seasons back when we didn't quite have the rate of success we now have over recent past seasons, and potentially this is one of the downsides of being one of the league's "topdogs"? I think we would mostly agree the first season of the Calgary takeover was the most entertaining of recent times, but we'd be kidding ourselves if we thought teams approach to games against us was the same back then as it is to now!

I'm not claiming this is the sole reason for entertainment values dropping but I believe is a big part of it. The way the sport has developed globally and refereeing of the physical side of it in the EIHL has also had a negative impact. Internally I do think our roster is perhaps a little too "senior" to lend to a high energy game, maybe something we'll look to address next season.

On a positive note I'm sure the cup final game against Sheffield will be a cracker and exciting hockey...an example of how entertaining a game can be of free flowing hockey with no trap!
I think another factor is the effectiveness of the pp. Teams seem to come in with a game plan of playing disciplined and staying out of the box. They're hardly going to agitate if 28% of the time they're going to be punished. At even strength the devils need to find ways of breaking down traps. I'm sure that this is going to be something given consideration over the summer as next year the margins will be even finer.