MESSAGE FROM DEVILS ORG RELATING TO PLAYOFF FINALS WEEKEND TICKETS

Thread starter #1
Before I start – this is from Todd Kelman (MD of the Devils) not from Kris Agland, I just don’t have an inferno account and this is the only account I must have ever logged into from this computer. So apologies to Kris if he still uses this. I will set up my own account in the future.

Just want to clear a few things up relating to the complaints I have read all day on social media from people who booked playoff tickets.

£5 BOOKING FEE – 100% my call. Staff thought it was too high, said it should be £3 or £3.50 to cover the costs we incur through our payment provider for card bookings. But I think our payment provider for card bookings charges us around 2.5% so for an adult ticket that would be about £2.20. We charged £5 fee per ticket for Adult & Concession tickets, and £2.50 for each ticket in a family weekend pass (4 tickets x £2.50 = £10). So yes, after the fee from our payment provider is covered, we are “pocketing” about £2.80 per Adult & Concession ticket and about £3 in total for a family ticket (£3 / 4 tickets = 75p per seat). It is my fault we didn’t update the website story with the added booking fee, and for that I apologise.

WHY WE DO IT OURSELVES – So 5 years ago I listened to loads of fans telling me how hard it was to get through on that Monday to the Nottingham box office, I heard stories of people sitting on the phone and incurring charges to wait and wait up to 60 minutes to get through. I heard stories of people getting to the final stage of booking online only to be bumped off the system and having to start all over again. People begged me to do something about it. I asked about it for 3 years at board meetings to sell our own tickets, last year they finally let us. So we do it ourselves because we want our fans to be able to book in advance, and to pick the seats they want.

WHY WE HAVE PEOPLE QUEUE UP – I am aware that it is 2020 and there should be a better system than having people line up and do it in person, but this is a fair process and everyone has the same chance to come down and line up. We cannot do it ourselves online, if we were to do it online, we would just keep it with the Box Office in Nottingham.

WHY IS IT SUCH A “CLUSTER FUCK?” –
I was there this morning selling the tickets, it was as calm as I have ever seen people in an ice rink. The whole process from the time we started selling took just over 2 hrs to sell 800 tickets. The process was smooth and easy once we opened the office doors and started selling. Maybe people that lined up at 5am thought the period of 5:00am to 8:00am was a clusterfuck but I highly doubt it. My experience with Devils fans is they look after their own and self-police so I am sure people jumping the queue or annoying fellow fans was probably very minimal. If the clusterfuck you refer to was having to fill out a form with the type of tickets you wanted and your name was too confusing, I really can’t make that much simpler. And if you filled out the exact seat you wanted to book, the reason why that couldn’t work is because you couldn’t possibly know what seats are booked ahead of you. And for the record, I have seen my fair share of clusterfucks and this was as far from a clusterfuck as clusterfucks can be.

I WAS ONE OF THE FIRST FEW IN THE LINE, WHY WERE THERE TICKETS BOOKED ALREADY? Because we contacted all our volunteers and sponsors and as a courtesy offered to let them book in advance. The volunteers are the people that we rely on to work for us all season and I believe the corporate sponsors deserve the perk for putting in the money they do. Between the sponsors and the volunteers, this was probably a total of 60 tickets pre-booked before 8:00am on Saturday out of over 800 tickets. We didn’t let them book the best seats, we kept the seats we assumed would be the most popular with fans available to the people in line. So even if they had the seats you wanted, there was the row in front or behind that was probably open when we started.

THE PROCESS – I asked 3 other staff members besides me to give up their Saturday morning, get in by 7:00am and stay until 12noon to get this all done. We will also probably take a full day in the office for 2 of them to allocate all the tickets correctly into envelopes and label them for you so you get your correct weekend tickets. All part of the service that you are paying for.

QUESTIONING THE ORGANISATION – I am certain that the £5 booking fee is what has gotten under everyone’s skin. But of the 800 tickets we sold today, only one person who bought 2 tickets spoke to me about it. He wasn’t upset, he just asked why we didn’t let him know beforehand. I apologised and that was that. Nobody from the Devils said “if you don’t like it, don’t buy your tickets” or anything along those lines. In fact, the most vocal people on social media couldn’t have been nicer about it to me in person, seriously. I am not going to name names but you thanked me for doing this, you were gracious and polite to me and the whole staff, but then took to twitter to bitch about everything. Now, I am a big believer in social media keeping brands and businesses honest, but we aren’t exactly Nike, you know us by our first names and you had your chance in person. Always feel free to speak to me in person when you have the chance rather than bitch about the organisation on social media. I think social media is great for some stuff but you can quickly create a shitstorm (good word – almost as good as clusterfuck) by getting people that didn’t buy tickets, that weren’t involved in the day, riled up about the club for no other reason than to air your grievances that you could have done to me in person. Wouldn’t it have felt way better to be able to tell me in person? Maybe we could have explained it and you would have gone away happier with the process.

I don’t like playing this card anymore, but do you really think we are trying to screw over our own fans? We try our best to always put our fans first. I think we have proven that often over the last 6 years. Believe me, It would be way easier for us not to get involved in selling playoff tickets, but we listened to you when you were complaining about the process going through the Nottingham Arena box office in years past. So we decided to do something about it. I know not everyone likes the process, but we are all ears if you have a better way to do it. It’s easy to complain about it, harder to come up with a viable solution that is cost effective and realistic.

So feel free to grab me tomorrow to tell me how you feel let down by the club over the booking fee or the queueing or the clusterfuck of the day and I will explain my reasoning on everything and I will listen to your ideas and see if it will be better next season.

And the reasoning this is on the inferno instead of social media is because:
  • it is far too long to go on twitter;
  • I can’t use the word clusterfuck as much as I felt I needed to;
  • I hope that someone will tweet out that I posted all of this on the inferno.
Apologies this is so long, but come on, you know me by now - I don't do short posts.

Thanks for reading and see you at the games…

Todd Kelman

I’d like to say thank you to all involved today. I appreciate that you have taken time out of your day off, to give us the opportunity to get tickets without wracking up high phone bills or website issues.

Sure, the early wake up to queue is grim any way you look at it but that‘s what coffee is for.

I actually found it ran much smoother this year, ended up with some great seats and came away safe knowing, I’ll get our tickets handed to me on collection day without having to worry.

So cheers to you and the organisation as a whole; the honesty and communication is welcomed.

Looking forward to celebrating pride night , hopefully getting my hands on one of those fantastic jerseys and getting those playoff tickets in a few weeks time.

Typically honest post from Todd, fair play to him. Doubt he’s reading this, but my view after queueing this morning for what it’s worth:

£5 fee - no complaints, maybe some notice would have been good.
Organisation - All smooth, no issues at all.

The whole process - I prefer online personally. Have never had a problem booking tickets for playoffs over the last few years, or for many many other events all over the UK. Maybe I’ve been lucky. Queueing serves the ‘hardcore’ willing to spend all night on the street, and maybe that’s the point of it and they were the ones raising the issue originally, who knows. I just think it’s a step backward in my (luckily hassle free) experience.

Anyway, hope everyone got the tickets they wanted, see you in Nottingham!

terry hunt

This is pure TK and thats what we love about you.It makes you a human being.
No hassle from me just surprised that you and the team bother with twitter that is Donald Trump land best left to the weirdos.
All you have to do now is get the Devils to the playoffs we dont want to be there supporting one of the evil trio.

E.D.S.

Dam that man!!! I feel really pissed off about the ‘get there early and wait in line’ thing but when he comes out and speaks so clearly (excellent use of the word clusterfuck) what can you do? It makes sense.
It really does frustrate me. The queuing option doesn’t work for me in anyway but I get it now.
Just another example of the club listening to its fans and trying something new. Like I said, it doesn’t work for me, I don’t like it but I can’t argue with the logic for doing so. Fair play to the those that run this club and I applaud what they are trying to do - even if I don’t like it (did I say that enough??).

E.D.S.

Typically honest post from Todd, fair play to him. Doubt he’s reading this, but my view after queueing this morning for what it’s worth:

£5 fee - no complaints, maybe some notice would have been good.
Organisation - All smooth, no issues at all.

The whole process - I prefer online personally. Have never had a problem booking tickets for playoffs over the last few years, or for many many other events all over the UK. Maybe I’ve been lucky. Queueing serves the ‘hardcore’ willing to spend all night on the street, and maybe that’s the point of it and they were the ones raising the issue originally, who knows. I just think it’s a step backward in my (luckily hassle free) experience.

Anyway, hope everyone got the tickets they wanted, see you in Nottingham!
Got to agree. I do think it’s a massive step backwards. I book tickets regularly for the Wales rugby games. That’s circa 78k tickets and probably 200,000 people trying to get them and it works on line. A box office as experienced as Motorpoint could handle that and has done regularly.

voth26

I don't go to playoffs as can't get time off work. I think it was good that Todd took the time to explain in detail what he has posted, I know getting playoff tickets is an expensive time but does another £5 really make that much difference?. Also like Todd's comment about people complaining if you don't have the gonads to complain to Todd direct then don't do it on social media

I don't post very often on the forum but I'm fed up with the whole thing at the moment. It's just (by a loud minority) moan moan moan complain and moan. The reason this thread exists just sums it up for me. I'm not a happy clapper or whatever the current phrase is. I just pay for my 2 season tickets and go the games and in the main enjoy them. We have one of the owners feeling they have to defend themselves on another thread. We have the MD feeing he has to defend himself on this thread. He doesn't. Not everything in the world is perfect but it's my view, based on nothing but going to the rink and watching the games that we are lucky to have what we have and who we have. We very nearly had nothing. Whatever system is in place some people will find fault. I'm just fed up with what seems to be constant bitching from some people about any subject. Sometimes we need a sense of perspective.

Before I start – this is from Todd Kelman (MD of the Devils) not from Kris Agland, I just don’t have an inferno account and this is the only account I must have ever logged into from this computer. So apologies to Kris if he still uses this. I will set up my own account in the future.

Just want to clear a few things up relating to the complaints I have read all day on social media from people who booked playoff tickets.

£5 BOOKING FEE – 100% my call. Staff thought it was too high, said it should be £3 or £3.50 to cover the costs we incur through our payment provider for card bookings. But I think our payment provider for card bookings charges us around 2.5% so for an adult ticket that would be about £2.20. We charged £5 fee per ticket for Adult & Concession tickets, and £2.50 for each ticket in a family weekend pass (4 tickets x £2.50 = £10). So yes, after the fee from our payment provider is covered, we are “pocketing” about £2.80 per Adult & Concession ticket and about £3 in total for a family ticket (£3 / 4 tickets = 75p per seat). It is my fault we didn’t update the website story with the added booking fee, and for that I apologise.

WHY WE DO IT OURSELVES – So 5 years ago I listened to loads of fans telling me how hard it was to get through on that Monday to the Nottingham box office, I heard stories of people sitting on the phone and incurring charges to wait and wait up to 60 minutes to get through. I heard stories of people getting to the final stage of booking online only to be bumped off the system and having to start all over again. People begged me to do something about it. I asked about it for 3 years at board meetings to sell our own tickets, last year they finally let us. So we do it ourselves because we want our fans to be able to book in advance, and to pick the seats they want.

WHY WE HAVE PEOPLE QUEUE UP – I am aware that it is 2020 and there should be a better system than having people line up and do it in person, but this is a fair process and everyone has the same chance to come down and line up. We cannot do it ourselves online, if we were to do it online, we would just keep it with the Box Office in Nottingham.

WHY IS IT SUCH A “CLUSTER FUCK?” –
I was there this morning selling the tickets, it was as calm as I have ever seen people in an ice rink. The whole process from the time we started selling took just over 2 hrs to sell 800 tickets. The process was smooth and easy once we opened the office doors and started selling. Maybe people that lined up at 5am thought the period of 5:00am to 8:00am was a clusterfuck but I highly doubt it. My experience with Devils fans is they look after their own and self-police so I am sure people jumping the queue or annoying fellow fans was probably very minimal. If the clusterfuck you refer to was having to fill out a form with the type of tickets you wanted and your name was too confusing, I really can’t make that much simpler. And if you filled out the exact seat you wanted to book, the reason why that couldn’t work is because you couldn’t possibly know what seats are booked ahead of you. And for the record, I have seen my fair share of clusterfucks and this was as far from a clusterfuck as clusterfucks can be.

I WAS ONE OF THE FIRST FEW IN THE LINE, WHY WERE THERE TICKETS BOOKED ALREADY? Because we contacted all our volunteers and sponsors and as a courtesy offered to let them book in advance. The volunteers are the people that we rely on to work for us all season and I believe the corporate sponsors deserve the perk for putting in the money they do. Between the sponsors and the volunteers, this was probably a total of 60 tickets pre-booked before 8:00am on Saturday out of over 800 tickets. We didn’t let them book the best seats, we kept the seats we assumed would be the most popular with fans available to the people in line. So even if they had the seats you wanted, there was the row in front or behind that was probably open when we started.

THE PROCESS – I asked 3 other staff members besides me to give up their Saturday morning, get in by 7:00am and stay until 12noon to get this all done. We will also probably take a full day in the office for 2 of them to allocate all the tickets correctly into envelopes and label them for you so you get your correct weekend tickets. All part of the service that you are paying for.

QUESTIONING THE ORGANISATION – I am certain that the £5 booking fee is what has gotten under everyone’s skin. But of the 800 tickets we sold today, only one person who bought 2 tickets spoke to me about it. He wasn’t upset, he just asked why we didn’t let him know beforehand. I apologised and that was that. Nobody from the Devils said “if you don’t like it, don’t buy your tickets” or anything along those lines. In fact, the most vocal people on social media couldn’t have been nicer about it to me in person, seriously. I am not going to name names but you thanked me for doing this, you were gracious and polite to me and the whole staff, but then took to twitter to bitch about everything. Now, I am a big believer in social media keeping brands and businesses honest, but we aren’t exactly Nike, you know us by our first names and you had your chance in person. Always feel free to speak to me in person when you have the chance rather than bitch about the organisation on social media. I think social media is great for some stuff but you can quickly create a shitstorm (good word – almost as good as clusterfuck) by getting people that didn’t buy tickets, that weren’t involved in the day, riled up about the club for no other reason than to air your grievances that you could have done to me in person. Wouldn’t it have felt way better to be able to tell me in person? Maybe we could have explained it and you would have gone away happier with the process.

I don’t like playing this card anymore, but do you really think we are trying to screw over our own fans? We try our best to always put our fans first. I think we have proven that often over the last 6 years. Believe me, It would be way easier for us not to get involved in selling playoff tickets, but we listened to you when you were complaining about the process going through the Nottingham Arena box office in years past. So we decided to do something about it. I know not everyone likes the process, but we are all ears if you have a better way to do it. It’s easy to complain about it, harder to come up with a viable solution that is cost effective and realistic.

So feel free to grab me tomorrow to tell me how you feel let down by the club over the booking fee or the queueing or the clusterfuck of the day and I will explain my reasoning on everything and I will listen to your ideas and see if it will be better next season.

And the reasoning this is on the inferno instead of social media is because:
  • it is far too long to go on twitter;
  • I can’t use the word clusterfuck as much as I felt I needed to;
  • I hope that someone will tweet out that I posted all of this on the inferno.
Apologies this is so long, but come on, you know me by now - I don't do short posts.

Thanks for reading and see you at the games…

Todd Kelman
The booking fee is fine by me. The wages of the people who are called in on Saturday needs to be covered. Plus all the admin. I'm relatively new to hockey (3 seasons) but the devil's have been nothing but transparent and honest from the jersey issue which was apologised with a free night and food to this.
If this is all you have to worry about life is good.

Maybe a few que'd and were disappointed but you can't please everyone and you still have Monday to try.
The fans who felt they wanted the tickets bad enough got up crack of dawn and well done to you.
I like what Todd and back room staff are doing.
The staff seem to know every one name and are friendly to all
We got welsh sports venue of the year so they must be doing something right
Free parking for most people too.
Every year there are more improvements as the management team listen and learn.

jimmy snels

if im honest i hadn't seen a flood of complaints? by the same token reference posting on social media, if it was more of an individual thing (and you know who they are), it might be worth going to see them at a game and politely ask them what the issues are rather the bring in the whole fan base?

Wannabe2

I was queuing at 12-45am, far from ideal but that was my decision, and yes it’s very tiring but it was made all the more enjoyable by the awesome bunch that was already there, and those that then came along later, 5 hours outside and then 2 hours inside to me flew past due to those jolly lot, it was also nice to talk to people who you don’t get the chance to on game night due to where they sit. I thought the whole process went like a well oiled machine, and very professional, staff as always were very polite and helpful, so with the negative of feeling tired, I would like to thank our organisation for getting me good seats, as for the admin cost if it wasn’t needed it wouldn’t have been charged, the days of worrying about charges to fans died 5yrs ago when we were lucky to get what we have today. So alls that’s left to say is thank you to my fellow fans, and thank you to our awesome organisation.

hip check

I don't post very often on the forum but I'm fed up with the whole thing at the moment. It's just (by a loud minority) moan moan moan complain and moan. The reason this thread exists just sums it up for me. I'm not a happy clapper or whatever the current phrase is. I just pay for my 2 season tickets and go the games and in the main enjoy them. We have one of the owners feeling they have to defend themselves on another thread. We have the MD feeing he has to defend himself on this thread. He doesn't. Not everything in the world is perfect but it's my view, based on nothing but going to the rink and watching the games that we are lucky to have what we have and who we have. We very nearly had nothing. Whatever system is in place some people will find fault. I'm just fed up with what seems to be constant bitching from some people about any subject. Sometimes we need a sense of perspective.
On the subject of people moan-bagging, I look around and see what we have going here, We have a winning team, great owners, excellent coach and MD, the match night experience is good and other fans are committed and will chat freely with each other, you can take your other half and children knowing they won't hear foul language or see any bad behaviour.
There may be a few issues that are not always 100% but few and far between.
We have a good thing going here so let's enjoy and be glad we are such a well run organisation.
Criticize by all means but make it constructive, things can always go belly up at any time so enjoy.

I think he's got a bloody cheek coming on here spouting off. No player interviews or official club/inferno interaction but as soon as there's some dirty laundry he's straight on here, using a false name, shouting his mouth off. Keyboard warrior.!!!

That should do for now. ♿