Storm Vs Devils - 04 Jan 20 - League

moggy#9

The
Murdys played 1 game this year and he only played 6 games last year. Bownsy played so much hockey these last few years for the Devils & GB I'm surprised he hasn't burnt out yet. Linglet seem to take the brunt of it this year but imo Benti seems to be the one whos really struggling, i think he needs to drop down the lines.

We're in a good postion for the league & CC this year so we're a long way off panic stations. I think we've got the players but just need to find the right chemistry.
Problem goes deeper than line combinations. If it hadn't been for our 4th line hugely exceeding expectations over the last few games we'd have had a few more in the L column. Our opponents turn up to play us with a game plan. We don't seem to be able to counter. If we fail to beat Fife (a team with huge problems of their own) well tomorrow, excuses really aren't going to cut it. We really need to get our s**t together before Nottingham, or they'll do to is what we did to Belfast.

ASHIPP

Another bad day at the office? Can't keep saying move on to the next game..... when the next game turns out to be equally inconsistent.

A hiccup at the business end of the season will not help the chase for the top positions. Steelers are consolidating their dominance with Giants and Panthers pressing.Our games in hand seem even more important now.

Our performance seems to slump every time there is a key forward injured. Joey out again has disrupted the flow and Riley needs to settle back in after the euphoria of the Spengler Cup.

Just can't fathom the inconsistency this season. Little late to be talking about lines finding chemistry - Lord should know the best com binations by now. See that Palmberg scored another hattrick for the Giants....yes,a forward brought in as injury cover.
What is our club doing about our injury cover? We need some goal scoring solutions, and fast.

jenks33

Actually it’s very surprising that we’re second in the league when you see stats like
Linglet 27 games 2 goals
Martin 25 games 5 goals
Bentivoglio 23 games 1 goal.
If somebody showed me those stats at the start of the season I’d assume we were sixth

Swarley

What is our club doing about our injury cover? We need some goal scoring solutions, and fast.
Isn't Mosey the extra we carry atm? And I do agree with you, we desperately need hungry goal scoring players who always go for the finish, the team atm seem more keen on doing fancy set ups and then skating back down towards Bowns to try and recover the puck.

Slartibartfast

Murdys played 1 game this year and he only played 6 games last year. Bownsy played so much hockey these last few years for the Devils & GB I'm surprised he hasn't burnt out yet. Linglet seem to take the brunt of it this year but imo Benti seems to be the one whos really struggling, i think he needs to drop down the lines.

We're in a good postion for the league & CC this year so we're a long way off panic stations. I think we've got the players but just need to find the right chemistry.
It seems a few of our long standing imports are certainly struggling. Last year Benti scored 17 in 56 games and averaged just under a point a game. This season he has scored one goal in 24 games and is averaging 0.5 points second game.
Linglet averaged a goal in every 3 games last season. This year he is 1 in 14. He was 1.2 points per game. Now he is 0.71 points per game.
Even the GOAT is getting only one goal every 5 games compared with almost one every two last season. His point production is 0.76 whereas he was over a point per game last season.

At the beginning of the season we were worried about Jardine and McMonagle but in my opinion they have been two of our most consistent players recently. McMonagle is third in points scoring. (behind Fournier).

I would love to be a fly on the wall in that changing room to see what has caused such a drop in performance of such talented players.

Thankfully whatever it is has not affected Joey Haddad who is carrying this team at the moment.

Hedd Wyn John

Actually it’s very surprising that we’re second in the league when you see stats like
Linglet 27 games 2 goals
Martin 25 games 5 goals
If somebody showed me those stats at the start of the season I’d assume we were sixth
We need these players to start scoring pronto, particularly Linglet & Benti. We're simply not scoring when we should be.

Diablo3

It seems a few of our long standing imports are certainly struggling. Last year Benti scored 17 in 56 games and averaged just under a point a game. This season he has scored one goal in 24 games and is averaging 0.5 points second game.
Linglet averaged a goal in every 3 games last season. This year he is 1 in 14. He was 1.2 points per game. Now he is 0.71 points per game.
Even the GOAT is getting only one goal every 5 games compared with almost one every two last season. His point production is 0.76 whereas he was over a point per game last season.

At the beginning of the season we were worried about Jardine and McMonagle but in my opinion they have been two of our most consistent players recently. McMonagle is third in points scoring. (behind Fournier).

I would love to be a fly on the wall in that changing room to see what has caused such a drop in performance of such talented players.

Thankfully whatever it is has not affected Joey Haddad who is carrying this team at the moment.
I would add Pope too. Without those two and the Brits we wouldn't be second in the league. we really need to stop going round the boards and just take a shot, that's what these other teams do to us.

I can't believe that we conceded 9 goals and scored 1 against teams with barely 3 lines.both Coventry and Manchester only had 5 d.something is wrong somewhere,how can you go from playing so well to this pathetic poor excuse for hockey.i think steelers are coming on strong now and are a different team now to the team we have played before so for me steelers will win the league by some margin.for me the games against panthers in the challenge cup are huge if we want some silverware.
Manchester were missing 2 imports in negwin and hughesman so 2 lines and abit against our 4 lines .We look lethargic and i have said all along we are too old and too slow.Too many players who are coasting.Steelers are on fire but in all the games we beat them in we were very lucky in my opinion.

doron

to me Bownsy is playing too many games. as good as he is, he needs to recharge his batteries from time to time, even if he doesn't want to come out of goal. and what's that saying, your boss can't be your friend because there comes a time when he has to kick you up the ass. that doesn't seem to happen much in cardiff.

Gospel

Where to start!

Is there illness in the Devils camp? So many players have dropped down 2 or 3 gears the last couple of weeks co pared to where they were a month ago.

We are again looking for that perfect pretty goal again, too much passing at a pace that the junior Devils could play at which is easily defendable (well should be by pro hockey players) and we are not evening trying to change things to get a dirty scrappy gritty goal. We dont have at present a player that can change the tempo of a game when we need it whether its by laying hits or agitating things a bit, someone like Robert Farmer. I cant see that changing either at any point as its not Lords coaching style of play.

Unless our forwards start scoring and we stop relying on our D pushing up and getting the goals, which then leaves us short at the back,when they dont score, and Bownsy is then left hanging out to dry, i cant see things ending well.

kingmo19.1

Linglet 27 games 2 goals
Martin 25 games 5 goals
Jeez when you look at it like that it’s a combined 75 games and only 8 goals!
That’s shocking.

Devilsatw

Jeez when you look at it like that it’s a combined 75 games and only 8 goals!
That’s shocking.
And if this were to happen in any other team they would be gone!
Said it for ages Lord hasn't got any balls simple as that.

nothing we can do apart from hope but things will stay the same no doubt!

Takes the piss when we beat giants 3 times in 3 games then lose to one of the worst teams in the league.
yes I understand we lose games but when we lose we get hammered.
5-0 to blaze and 4-1 tonight.

we obviously go into games thinking we will win and don't give our all and get caught out.

Last edited:

ASHIPP

This.

Lack of goals from certain other forwards is shocking. Additional help definitely required. Steelers and Giants seem to find solutions to their goal scoring problems.

Devilsatw

This.

Lack of goals from certain other forwards is shocking. Additional help definitely required. Steelers and Giants seem to find solutions to their goal scoring problems.
Yes they find solutions by sacking players.
We got to many players here with wife and kids then the club won't sack them because of that reason!

They clearly get attached and can't make tough decisions when needed

Devilsatw

My last little rant!
When Ross Venus has more goals than linglet martin and benti combined you know you got problems!

Luke ferrara has more goals than riley Martin linglet and benti but it's ok keep them here don't sack them hey!

That's 2 British players on more than 4 our most important players

Last edited:

Kevin roog

At least we ain’t blaming Hogarth for all our defeats and starting partitions like 2 months ago. We are looking closer to home this time. I posted 2 months ago benti wouldn’t get on a top line for any other team in the league and rempel 16 said I was talking rubbish. Well one of us were

moggy#9

Yes they find solutions by sacking players.
We got to many players here with wife and kids then the club won't sack them because of that reason!

They clearly get attached and can't make tough decisions when needed
There are quite a few fans who get attached to certain players too. There were some moans when ulmer was let go, and wanting benti back in the summer. I can understand the club's policy of not cutting players mid season, and it certainly does it some good in recruitment. With that policy though you need to make sure you have the right players in place and predict their inevitable downturn. To be fair though, after the end to last season, who would have predicted langlet's collapse in goal production, or Martin's dip in form? I wonder to what extent our regular struggles around mid season are due to teams figuring us out and us not being able to adapt tactically. I suspect that there are things going on behind the scenes that we know nothing about. I'm sure that the club is doing all it can, within three constraints it operates in. But from the outside looking in, it's bl**dy frustrating.

Slartibartfast

I would hate to work for some of you. If someone is not performing a good manager finds out what is wrong and tries to see how he or she can help not just sacks everyone.
Fair enough if these guys were not not talented enough to play in this league but to talk about sacking Martin, Linglet and Bentivoglio is crazy. Something is clearly wrong for their point production to be so low but sacking talented players is not the answer.

Devilsatw

I would hate to work for some of you. If someone is not performing a good manager finds out what is wrong and tries to see how he or she can help not just sacks everyone.
Fair enough if these guys were not not talented enough to play in this league but to talk about sacking Martin, Linglet and Bentivoglio is crazy. Something is clearly wrong for their point production to be so low but sacking talented players is not the answer.
What's the answer? We are 30 plus games into the league!
Someone has to change or answer why it's gone so bad