Storm Vs Devils - 04 Jan 20 - League

Slartibartfast

Well it wasn't as bad as the Coventry game but not a good performance all the same. It was very even for most of the match.We started well but then dropped down a gear after our goal. Then Bownsy let a stinker in and we started chasing the game. Defence moved up leaving holes at the back, next thing you know theres a breakaway goal followed by an empty netter and the game is over. Seems a familiar pattern when we lose.

Wannabe2

Well it wasn't as bad as the Coventry game but not a good performance all the same. It was very even for most of the match.We started well but then dropped down a gear after our goal. Then Bownsy let a stinker in and we started chasing the game. Defence moved up leaving holes at the back, next thing you know theres a breakaway goal followed by an empty netter and the game is over. Seems a familiar pattern when we lose.
In fairness it would have to be,pretty shitty to be as bad as the Blaze game, 9 goals against and 1 for in 2 games certainly ain’t no championship form. We don’t need no implosion this season guys.

Kevin roog

I think the 50 or so of us there realise we got away with 4.1 , they hit the post 3 or 4 times. they looked a lot quicker than us and wanted it more

Wannabe2

Lately everyone is quicker, and everyone wants it more ( destroyed two games on the trot now ) some harsh words and some harsh action needed now. Hate saying this but we are carrying too many players, and they are heavy.

jenks33

I see Bownsy let in another soft one, the game winner as well. I’ll reiterate what I said last week, he’s just not at the races at the moment in my opinion. Don’t get me wrong I’m certainly not blaming him for the last two defeats when you consider we scored 1 goal in 2 games! I just think he needs to be bigger for us in general though. This season we just haven’t seen the Ben Bowns that starred for GB last summer. For me I think he’s a little bored and frustrated that he’s still in this league. No doubting that he loves the club and I’m not doubting his effort I just think when you’re appetite goes slightly it’s a slippery slope.

I can't believe that we conceded 9 goals and scored 1 against teams with barely 3 lines.both Coventry and Manchester only had 5 d.something is wrong somewhere,how can you go from playing so well to this pathetic poor excuse for hockey.i think steelers are coming on strong now and are a different team now to the team we have played before so for me steelers will win the league by some margin.for me the games against panthers in the challenge cup are huge if we want some silverware.

august04

People can moan about the revolving door at Sheffield but they’re clear at the top and banging in the goals. We’re too noble to sack underperforming players so it seems. Other teams do it and that’s the life of a pro hockey player, but not if you’re playing for Cardiff though. Sign a deal and you’re set fair for the season, no matter how you play. The lack of goals/points from some of our supposed top end forwards is a bloody disgrace.

Wannabe2

We have a fair few who’s appetite seems to have gone, its more apparent in a goalie, but there’s a few more to add to the list. Some teams are playing barely 3 lines, but if those lines are better than your 4 lines, your certainly in trouble,

Last edited:

Swarley

I wouldn't say it's panic stations just yet if anything it's more frustration that we just don't seem to score, a lot of teams are sinking 4 or 5 goals and we look to struggle to get one.

Dunno if it's sickness bug, lack of motivation, lack of passion or what but tomorrow the team will either set the tone from the get go and put this behind them or we'll get an ot loss because we just couldn't get going either way lordo must be doing his nut.

jenks33

We have a fair few who’s appetite seems to have gone, its more apparent in a goalie, but there’s a few more to add to the list
Agree with that. And I agree that it’s more apparent in a goalie. I’m a big fan of bownsy but I think he needs to move on next season for his own progression. If he’s still with us then I’ll be happy enough but I think he needs a change

august04

Agree with that. And I agree that it’s more apparent in a goalie. I’m a big fan of bownsy but I think he needs to move on next season for his own progression. If he’s still with us then I’ll be happy enough but I think he needs a change
I don’t want Bowns to leave next season but he needs a goalie partner who is going to push him for that starting spot. Next year, I want us to get two potential starting netminders (Bowns and an import nettie) and whoever is hot, gets the start. I know we lose an import slot, but we’re giving up soft goals on a regular basis and it’s hurting the team. Not as much as our misfiring forwards though.

jenks33

I don’t want Bowns to leave next season but he needs a goalie partner who is going to push him for that starting spot. Next year, I want us to get two potential starting netminders (Bowns and an import nettie) and whoever is hot, gets the start. I know we lose an import slot, but we’re giving up soft goals on a regular basis and it’s hurting the team. Not as much as our misfiring forwards though.
Yeah I’d be happy enough for Bowns to stay with an import goalie. I think something needs to change though. Just so bownsy gets a rest plus he will have competition

moggy#9

Cue the normal platitudes and excuses. All of the competing teams win, including Belfast easily beating Coventry. I guess January is the new November.

CaldicotDevil

Murdys played 1 game this year and he only played 6 games last year. Bownsy played so much hockey these last few years for the Devils & GB I'm surprised he hasn't burnt out yet. Linglet seem to take the brunt of it this year but imo Benti seems to be the one whos really struggling, i think he needs to drop down the lines.

We're in a good postion for the league & CC this year so we're a long way off panic stations. I think we've got the players but just need to find the right chemistry.