Devils Vs Blaze - 01 Jan 20 - League (4 FO)

CaldicotDevil

I'd also add that if bownsy is unwell or carrying a niggle, he shouldn't face the demand to perform. To me, the lack of interchangable netminders is the biggest difference still remaining between the elite league and ISL. That said, the current situation is what it is. It's up to the rest of the team to play in a way that supports bownsy if he is for some reason it of sorts.
Out of interest when was the last time our back up nettie played?

Hedd Wyn John

Sounds like the same script Lordo is reading?
Well we didn't have Riley, Martin barely iced. We had plenty of shots on goal, however here were a few key moments (helped by Devils mistakes) where Blaze took their chances and put the Puck in the net. Our shots all seemed to go straight at Motte. Could we have played better? Heck yes. Puck retention was poor, too many wayward passes made in desperation but on another day im sure we would have scored.

Mazzoak

Haven’t seen any games over the Christmas party season. Having 5 out of 6 games is an improvement we‘d all take though, so it’s difficult to complain.

Having said that.

I’d be surprised if we hadn’t factored the schedule & player performance, fatigue etc & foreseen issues. The planning of players, fitness levels and injuries should all have be planned for pre season with contingency plans planned. Possibly it’s a budget issue, business decision, who knows. Losing at home, this time of the year is a hard pill to swallow when your building a business up and everyone leaves disappointed, particularly after the recent poor home performances.

Who knows. Will Devils ever win every game, with full attendance levels & everyone happy, not on the Inferno, we’d all moan it was predictable & boring.

Last edited:

terry hunt

I actually thought that Blaze with 15 skaters would tire big time in the 3rd, but they actually done the opposite, every team thankfully have a stinker now and then ( except steelers) and last night was ours, unfortunately.
Why do you think the Blaze played for 3 periods mate and we couldnt?

Wannabe2

Probably felt cheated from the night before, probably wanted to know why they were underdogs, probably had more to prove, and probably wanted it more.

Wagstaff

Bownsey tired, injuries, busy schedule, New Year Hangovers. I really struggle to understand your logic here, we have one starting netminder and albeit he is a recent addition, but we have no other credible option, injuries, we also had two big players out, and we iced 3 less skaters than you, our Christmas run in was equally hard if not worse, we came to you off two long hard games in Nottingham, plus the previous night was a close fought game against the potential league champions, your previous game was against a mid table Blaze team, the new year isn’t just in Wales, we celebrated it in Coventry too!,
You also credit yourselves as having the best coach in the league and yet you struggled with our tactics and couldn’t change the game plan to break our stride.
I don’t have the answers other than we wanted it and you couldn’t be bothered, so I guess you will have to blame Block 13 for not performing!

Happy New Year

Wannabe2

I wouldn’t say we couldn’t be bothered, I think the lads were bothered, but didn’t have any of the answers on the night, also people should understand that this Blaze team are capable of beating anyone. We had two poor nights over the weekend we got out of jail once, and came a right cropper in the other.

Diablo3

Bownsey tired, injuries, busy schedule, New Year Hangovers. I really struggle to understand your logic here, we have one starting netminder and albeit he is a recent addition, but we have no other credible option, injuries, we also had two big players out, and we iced 3 less skaters than you, our Christmas run in was equally hard if not worse, we came to you off two long hard games in Nottingham, plus the previous night was a close fought game against the potential league champions, your previous game was against a mid table Blaze team, the new year isn’t just in Wales, we celebrated it in Coventry too!,
You also credit yourselves as having the best coach in the league and yet you struggled with our tactics and couldn’t change the game plan to break our stride.
I don’t have the answers other than we wanted it and you couldn’t be bothered, so I guess you will have to blame Block 13 for not performing!

Happy New Year
No excuses, we just weren't good enough on the night. I thought the Blaze played well and deserved the comprehensive win. We move on to the Storm shelter and see if we can put this one behind us.

terry hunt

Happy New Year
Tell it like it is Wagstaff

Sheincar

Re comments about using back up, bear in mind Murdy has been injured for months. We've had Perre as back up who must be about 4th choice and I can understand Lord not using him. Rumour is large number of team suffering with the flu like bug going around.

moggy#9

Re comments about using back up, bear in mind Murdy has been injured for months. We've had Perre as back up who must be about 4th choice and I can understand Lord not using him. Rumour is large number of team suffering with the flu like bug going around.
Yes, murdy has been injured, but when was the last season when we had two goalies who split ice time 50-50? Our even 75-25? I honestly hope none of them have had the flu thing - it's horrible. As several people, including me, have said here though, the problem on Tuesday appeared to be not fitness, but being unable to counter Coventry's tactics.

Mazzoak

Happy New Year
Brutal & spot on.

Didn't your team also lose a game over the Xmas period?
Indeed they did, as have plenty of teams. Lost 3-6 to Dundee, then beat them away 2-3 followed by 4-1 win v Blaze.
Thing is fans from the supposed top 4/5 seem to think they only have to turn up to beat the teams lower in the league, and its been clearly shown that's not true. Seems this season that any team can win on any given night, so all teams have to be as close to the top of their game every night.
Looking in from the outside i have to agree with comments made by Devils fans about Bowns. He has played so many games over the last 2/3 years for Devils & GB without any help from a back-up. This is down to the management to sort out, so why doesn`t Lord play Murdy? Is it a lack of confidence in him? Which if true is strange, because he is one of the 3 netminders picked for GB.
When a back-up plays it normally brings the D together to give him more protection.

kettdevil1

Indeed they did, as have plenty of teams. Lost 3-6 to Dundee, then beat them away 2-3 followed by 4-1 win v Blaze.
Thing is fans from the supposed top 4/5 seem to think they only have to turn up to beat the teams lower in the league, and its been clearly shown that's not true. Seems this season that any team can win on any given night, so all teams have to be as close to the top of their game every night.
Looking in from the outside i have to agree with comments made by Devils fans about Bowns. He has played so many games over the last 2/3 years for Devils & GB without any help from a back-up. This is down to the management to sort out, so why doesn`t Lord play Murdy? Is it a lack of confidence in him? Which if true is strange, because he is one of the 3 netminders picked for GB.
When a back-up plays it normally brings the D together to give him more protection.
Murdy has been out injured for a fair bit of the season. Bowns is an interesting one, historically the more he plays, the better he gets but I do wonder if he needs the occasional break (especially over Christmas given the number of games)

Looking at the league table it is incredibly tight between four teams..... best title race for some time?

Sheincar

Yes, murdy has been injured, but when was the last season when we had two goalies who split ice time 50-50? Our even 75-25? I honestly hope none of them have had the flu thing - it's horrible. As several people, including me, have said here though, the problem on Tuesday appeared to be not fitness, but being unable to counter Coventry's tactics.
Lyle/Herlofsky?