Devils Vs Blaze - 01 Jan 20 - League (4 FO)

ASHIPP

Would be more concerned about Joey Martin's fitness at the mo. Clearly not ready to play again if he only had very limited icetime today. He needs time to recover properly. A huge loss if he is out.

Riley will be back in the squad very soon but will they bring in a short-term forward to cover Joey? Steelers and Giants have brought in short term players recently.

jenks33

I knew of 17 newbies tonight all sat in block 14, oh dear...
I think that’s why Todd must be even more frustrated tonight. These Xmas/New Years games will attract more newbies than any other time of the season. If you were a newbie at the guildford game you’d definitely be back for more. If you were a newbie tonight you must have been wondering what all the fuss was about.

Hedd Wyn John

I think that’s why Todd must be even more frustrated tonight. These Xmas/New Years games will attract more newbies than any other time of the season. If you were a newbie at the guildford game you’d definitely be back for more. If you were a newbie tonight you must have been wondering what all the fuss was about.
6 games in 11 days, it is what it is. Blaze are a tough team & unfortunately the Devils weren't quite at the races tonight. I thought we were unlucky not to score a goal or two.

jenks33

6 games in 11 days, it is what it is. Blaze are a tough team & unfortunately the Devils weren't quite at the races tonight. I thought we were unlucky not to score a goal or two.
I suppose you can look at it two ways. I mentioned earlier that I do sympathise with our boys as it is a draining schedule at this time of year.
On the other hand this was also Coventry’s 6th game in 11 nights and they had far more energy than us. I suppose they had a point to prove after last night but as the home team we should really set the tempo.

rolf

Nothing to see here. Move along. A bad day at the office. Hopefully the last of the season. Onwards.

I paid over £70 to bring 3 guests with me tonight. A lot of money for a pensioner. I fell asleep during the first period. I am just gutted I woke up. Not gonna fight for more tickets this year as this team aint good enough to be pretty to watch and not gritty enough to be entertaining. When you say nothing to see here, I could not agree more.

ASHIPP

Included in that programme of games were two Challenge Cup quarter final legs. Ridiculous scheduling which surely must be revised next season. Two of our top forwards missing for different reasons.All teams will be feeling tired. However other teams are in a similar position...... Steelers still managed to clinch a point to widen the gap a bit more even though they lost. Devils need to find ways to do that to keep up the pressure.

Wannabe2

I actually thought that Blaze with 15 skaters would tire big time in the 3rd, but they actually done the opposite, every team thankfully have a stinker now and then ( except steelers) and last night was ours, unfortunately.

CaldicotDevil

Would be more concerned about Joey Martin's fitness at the mo. Clearly not ready to play again if he only had very limited icetime today. He needs time to recover properly. A huge loss if he is out.

Riley will be back in the squad very soon but will they bring in a short-term forward to cover Joey? Steelers and Giants have brought in short term players recently.
What's even more concerning is the radio silence from the DOPS with regards to Baldwin. We've lost Martin now for 2 games and Baldwin played last night.

Slartibartfast

Ref bownsy I think he has been playing ok except the second guilford game which was a stinker and maybe last night though he was let down defensively. The night before Coventry completely outshot us but Bownsys save percentage was much higher than
Coventrys goalie. He also shutout Belfast recently. So overall I think he is strong as ever but has had a couple of bad games. His saves percentage is marginally down from last season but that may even out with a few months still to play.

kristian

Joey played a few shifts in the 1st put 2 hits in one straight after the other. And don't come back out and wasn't on the bench either.

E.D.S.

Nothing to see here. Move along. A bad day at the office. Hopefully the last of the season. Onwards.

I paid over £70 to bring 3 guests with me tonight. A lot of money for a pensioner. I fell asleep during the first period. I am just gutted I woke up. Not gonna fight for more tickets this year as this team aint good enough to be pretty to watch and not gritty enough to be entertaining. When you say nothing to see here, I could not agree more.
each to their own. the point I’m making was that it was just a bad day at the office and little point in dissecting every aspect of the game, in my view.
Spending £70 tickets or £1000 on season tickets for the family and doing a 150 mile round trip to watch it doesn’t change that. Disappointing performance. Poor game and a dull way to enter the new year. Pretty certain that won’t happen again this season (I hope).

Earnie

Well that was one to forget. Even Block 13 couldn't fix it .
I assume Blair Riley should be back today with his medal?

Shame really , when we could have got closer to Sheffield the opposite happened albeit one point.

terry hunt

Well the fans were criticised for not getting behind the team. Block 13 have laid it on the line every game and have definitely energised the building.
We were also told that to get new players we would have to sell out the arena which is now happening.
It is clear that Joey Martin is not fully recovered from his injuries and Mosey doesnt look like he will be back this season.
Our competitors are recruiting players to cover injuries and cutting those that dont perform and it seems to work for them.
So what is the answer our schedule is tough but it is of our choosing and other clubs have the same problem.The Blaze played with 15 skaters and played 3 periods with passion and hard work in our building last night.
Defeats are inevitable in all sports but to say "it is what it is" or "we were not at the races" WHY.
As a side issue i see Sointu does not appear to have another team.

Tad-cu

Got to stick up for Bownsy here. He let in four goals, big deal. The problem is that we were shut out on our own ice in front of a big holiday crowd. our forwards scored nil. If we’d won 5-4, who would’ve complained? That’s professional sport, you win some, you lose some, you have good days and bad days.

moggy#9

I'm not sure that the issue is fatigue (though there certainly might be a mental element). Last night, it appeared to me, was all about tactics. We just couldn't cope with the Coventry trap, in the same way we couldn't deal with the Belfast high forecheck. We didn't adapt and paid the price.

Wannabe2

I don’t think fatigue had anything to do with our dour performance last night, we were outplayed by a team that played the perfect away game, Blaze are a very good team, and well coached, let them play their game and you are going to be in trouble, and that’s exactly what happened last night.

august04

Got to stick up for Bownsy here. He let in four goals, big deal. The problem is that we were shut out on our own ice in front of a big holiday crowd. our forwards scored nil. If we’d won 5-4, who would’ve complained? That’s professional sport, you win some, you lose some, you have good days and bad days.
Bowns wasn’t the reason we lost last night and I don‘t think anyone is saying that. But his form generally has declined this year in my opinion and I believe we should have a back up that Lord trusts to put in a game when needed. He doesn’t do it even when everyone can see Bowns is struggling in certain games.

moggy#9

Bowns wasn’t the reason we lost last night and I don‘t think anyone is saying that. But his form generally has declined this year in my opinion and I believe we should have a back up that Lord trusts to put in a game when needed. He doesn’t do it even when everyone can see Bowns is struggling in certain games.
I'd also add that if bownsy is unwell or carrying a niggle, he shouldn't face the demand to perform. To me, the lack of interchangable netminders is the biggest difference still remaining between the elite league and ISL. That said, the current situation is what it is. It's up to the rest of the team to play in a way that supports bownsy if he is for some reason it of sorts.