Flyers v Devils

JT666

Although the results are clearly a major disappointment, and a Strachan esque figure would be hugely welcomed, my major concern would still stand even if we made a new signing, boredom.

As some others have pointed out, we could lose games here and there, but if we all thought the effort had been put in, and we’d left the arena feeling entertained, it wouldn’t be such an issue.

Right now, a night at the hockey just doesn’t appeal to me. I was offered a free ticket on Wednesday, and I’m ashamed to say I stayed at home and watched Netflix.

Appreciate the sport is becoming more PC, and the goon days are behind us, but we just don’t have any sort of nasty streak any more. Even the players who have historically been hard knocks (Louis, Batch, Riley) are tepid.

We play like a team of footballers, and if I wanted to watch a mediocre non contact team, I’d go a mile up the road and watch the Bluebirds!

Devilsatw

I didn’t think anyone would be foolish enough to fall for your trolling (again) but looking on twitter and lots of non-Cardiff fans have
Do you really think I want to see us lose??
I am a realist and I say it how it is. The hockey is boring and there’s more fight in my daughter than these players.

Recruitment is really poor and Lord is a stubborn bugger who worries about his perfection than actually what’s right for the team.

We are an average team this season and I have said this on numberous occasions only to be told shut up I know nothing.

Well now I have proven you wrong.

moggy#9

Something big is clearly affecting this team. What is it?

It is difficult to phathom out how a team that only made 5 changes to their roster this season can perform like they have never played together. Their performance has been in decline since the high profile CHL games. Domestic scene too mundane for them now?

I see a team low on confidence, disinterested (some players) and struggling in most games in the last few weeks. Some lines/partnerships have no chemistry or effectiveness. Players don't look happy.

What has helped save our season in the last 2 or 3 years is the decision to bring in experienced impact players at this time of year to steady the ship. Unless the current team can execute better defensive reponsibility, this surely now must be a consideration?

And leadership. Absolutely worship Joey Martin but is his genius being stifled by all his other responsibilities. Make him Club Captain..... Riley on-ice Captain?
Really? Riley? I know I've not seen that many games this season, but I've really wondered why there was so much fuss about signing him. From what I've seen he's done next to nothing.

unless we turn this around , we will finish 6th or below and good riddance to CHL ..which could be a blessing in disguise as we all know we are never gonna win it. in my mind some of these players only stayed for the hype of CHL and travelling being pampered hotels etc , now we are done in CHL they dont seem to care a toss playing in the EIHL or cup, this cant go on for long otherwise it will be curtains at the end of season for die hard fans. as i said in a previous post somethings not right behind the scenes, nowt on Kris leaving , what were the real reasons ulmer and MO left, some know some dont, all hush hush and that cant be good for the club and the players that are still here.. rant over .
Just out of curiosity, why should supporter of a club need to know the ins and outs of why this person left or certain players left/were let go?
What difference could you make to the way we are playing if you did know?
Unless you’re a shareholder then I’d say any problems off the ice should stay within the club to be sorted.

I agree with all that have said that the defence is getting unfairly hung out to dry as it is a five man defensive group that have to work together.
Some forwards are better defensively than others but those that are not particularly strong defensively need to be more productive offensively to make themselves effective.
At the moment we are getting very little offence all round.
I’ts possible that last night if we had scored more of our chances then Fife wouldn’t have scored their 5 goals and the game would have played out differently.
It’s not working all over the ice right now and I’m kinda glad I’m a plumber and not head coach!!

Last edited:

kettdevil1

Just out of curiosity, why should supporter of a club need to know the ins and outs of why this person left or certain players left/were let go?
Unless you’re a shareholder then I’d say any problems off the ice should stay within the club to be sorted.

I agree with all that have said that the defence is getting unfairly hung out to dry as it is a five man defensive group that have to work together.
Some forwards are better defensively than others but those that are not particularly strong defensively need to be more productive offensively to make themselves effective.
I’ts possible that last night if we had scored more of our chances then Fife wouldn’t have scored their 5 goals and the game would have played out differently.
It’s not working all over the ice right now and I’m kinda glad I’m a plumber and not head coach!!
Who would be a head coach...!

This is it for me. We are always a bit like this in the Autumn and frankly, looking at the league table we are a corrected second, through to the next stage of the Cup and played very well in the CHL so I am not massively worried.

The Nottingham away game summed it up, we didn't play particularly well, Panthers fans said that their team put up their best performance of the season and yet we still won comfortably. So we are there or thereabouts, we just haven't hit top form and clearly last night we played against a team that was super motivated to win. If we carry on like this we will probably be top 3 but not champions.

As FF says, too many offensive players are not quite on it yet and defensively we are brittle. I would also add an unusually high level of injuries and far too many individual mistakes into the mix.

I think perspective is needed (I have just looked back 5 years to where we were....) but also I do wonder if we need to think about how we deploy our RW/LW combos, at the moment there are far too many times when they are both caught wrong side and that puts pressure on the D. Tonight, I would like to see us focus on a defensive road game to get us back into good habits, I will take a 1-0 win tonight and work on the scoring ready for next weekend.

Slartibartfast

Thread starter #130
I agree with Kett Devil in that the game plan needs to change to a defensive one. We are all offence while other teams play defensively with 5 players blocking the shooting lanes and then scoring on the break.
Of course its possible that that is the game plan but players are just not following it. Lordo must feel as frustrated as us .

As others have said there is possibility that there are problems in the changing room. Finding 22 players who all get along is difficult. Add to that the wives all need to get along as well and its hell of a task holding a team together.

Look at Faryna gate last year.

Regarding are things worse than last year. Throughout last season we had a loss rate of 29% in League and CC games combined. At the moment we have a 37% loss rate so this does need fixing quick if we want to be pushing for trophies.

Last edited:

Kevlar68

Going to my first game this season on 17th Nov and hope it gets better by then.

What is going on with our club, we got a booking system that's run off steam, shirts that come out of someones shed in Slovakia, a shop with a "Not bothered" attitude and a team that seems to be playing at recreational level from all the reports i've read. The only saving grace is that the league at the moment hasn't got one outstanding blow them away team.

How could such a great club within a summer have changed so much?

Did we put all our eggs in the CHL basket with the players we brought in and now struggling with EIHL?

I'm so confused by the results but i'll still support our team if we're riding high on the crest of a wave or drowning in the bottom of a bog.

Not a happy clapper by any means but i've seen allot worse and got to keep faith that things can change.

Last edited:

Kevin roog

I got five season tickets and for the first month of the season one of the seats was on general sale, had to keep ringing Katrina to take the seat off sale every game. And we normally buy 5 or more shirts. Too late this season to bother now. Would like to try one on first

I quite like the fact that there is a challenge we have no given right to win every game and the league will be more fun, but i agree on a few things D are jumping up on the play too much for me considering we are leaking goals and the dump and chase clearly isn’t working hence the amount of break always for other teams. Back checking from forwards is awful another reason the D dump and chase dosent work. Fournier is having a off start but I’m sure he will bounce back, I’m not sure why they swapped the him and Louis D line when they had such great chemistry, not even going to waste time on 3 and 77. Masi has a song that he can sing along with in the box I think he bought a season ticket in the penalty box tbh, Genuinely missing ulmer getting us tips in front, we are giving other team net minders clear sight at most shots. Powerplay is dreadfully boring, why is there 2 guys behind the net ?? Can we please go back To the point and shoot like we did with Hotham. Everyone wanted MO out .... that didn’t work he wasn’t all out attack last season but defensively sound especially on PK and stuck to game plan I like those players.
I’m really happy for Duggan though he’s a shining light at the moment.
I’m not a coach I don’t know what’ll change but we’ve been lucky to watch this team last few seasons so just be happy the leagues challenging but at the same time I agree with a lot of you about things that are frustrating us all.

Last edited:

Mazzoak

It’ll probably all turn around tonight.

It has in the past, it’s almost as if players coast, take the pay, then Lord gets Kelman in to read the terms and condition, then we have some epic turn around. Then it repeats every other game or so until we manage a closely fought finish to the season.

Wasn’t it last year we kept loosing at home, our away record was outstanding.

I've got to say this boring sterile hockey is not to my liking.us old school fans are struggling with the lack of togetherness of recent teams. This team will win nothing unless either changes are made or lordo puts his finger on what's going wrong, imo losing Jamie Elson is a big part of the problem. I don't think lord has enough support on the bench. A win tonight will just paper over the cracks , there are deep problems at the moment

BostonBart22

As fans who pay money and commitment into the club week in week out we should know wether players are gassed or staff sacked instead of false rumours flying around..

terry hunt

I am a long time Devils fan and intend to continue as such.
I agree the team are struggling but naming individuals is not the answer.I hope some of the posters on here never sit on a jury life sentences would be mandatory.
The team seem to have this "Autumn Break" for the last couple of years.Taking a look at the EIHL stats for our team the Stats are poor for all parts of our game from Bownsy onwards.It will be resolved but even then we are not entitled to win trophies despite us having the best organisation in the EIHL.
Thommo,Neilsen,Lawless Keefe etc,etc all have had good and bad seasons.
We need to be a bit more grown up and bite our tongues occasionally.Control our language and leave it to our experts.
For this reason i try not to post too soon after a game but calm down a bit.
For us at the moment it can only get better(must be a chant in there somewhere)

kettdevil1

We should be beating Dundee, home or away. 14 games played, 3 wins, 7 points and bottom of the league standings. We must win these games if we want to be near the top of the table at the end of the season.
Hence my comment.... it always seems to be a tough battle up there but, we should be looking for a W