Devils vs Mountfield HK - 30 Aug 19 - CHL

OJLloyd

My heart hates the CHL. But the rest of me loves it.
From the second onwards there are many shout outs, but I thought McNamee was outstanding tonight.
Myers, Fournier, Bowns, and the rest. Ridiculous stuff. Bring on Graz, we’re the Cardiff Fucking Devils

I thought first period we were hanging on but after that we thoroughly deserved the win! There was a point in the second where dixon controlled a puck mid air and it just looked pure class! I think the other teams have a bigger budget than us this year but we have a very exciting team

august04

I thought we were pretty poor in the first period but whatever was said in the break worked! We looked a different team in the second and I thought Fournier in particular, grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck. Our goaltending wasn’t great in the CHL last year, but I thought Bowns had a fine game tonight, and looked very solid. Top of the group - if we can somehow get a win on Sunday, we’re in good shape. A great start to the campaign and a terrific endorsement for U.K. hockey.

Wannabe2

Our lads done amazing tonight against a big budget team, and a big team stature wise, Bownsy stood on his head, and his lovely Nan would have been as pleased as punch. When we needed to dig deep, we dug deep, we had a lot of pressure on us tonight, what with Giants having their great win, and these lads produced with great character. Great night tonight, thanks guys, thoroughly enjoyed it.
Happy Hockey Days.

osh

A huge win for both us and the EIHL tonight and last night with the Giants. A very dodgy 1st period but whatever was said in the dressing room after period one, the players reacted and showed what is possible. Not going to single any individual player out as they obviously played as a team and to a system that Lord thought would be sufficient for a win.
We go again on Sunday and the players will be up for it no doubt.

Diablo3

For me the first period was all about getting used to their speed. The guys obviously sorted that out in the second and took control. Great day for EIHL hockey and a great win.

moggy#9

As others have said, the first period was awful, but the 2nd and 3rd were the most impressive I've seen in a European game since sokol Kiev and torpedo in Tilburg. Hugely impressive to see 3 Brits on a 5 on 3 PK. I was hugely impressed by Josh batch and his shot blocking, not to mention linglet's gretzky-esque reading of the goalie's clearance. I don't think anyone had a bad game though. I can't wait for Sunday.

jimmy snels

Great win for the boys. Two or three years ago I would have been losing my mind about a result like this. What the world is learning more and more is that these results are not out of the ordinary any more. On the previous post, I really don't believe that this is an embarrassing week for Czech hockey. The rosters in our league stack up very well against many of these leagues now. This isn't a boast about the Devils, its a comment on our league as a whole. Roll on to the next game.
steve as always appreciate your input and comments here.
if i may ask, in your opinion where do you rank the EIHL now? im finding it hard to judge. ie is the Czech league now around the level you see the devils which is just below del?

i thought we were a more physical team and more determined outfit and the Czech side faster. i think we play a different style to our rivals which can work to in our favour.

Rob Batch

I watched most of the Frodo v Golum game and understand how unpredictable these types of games can be. {Frolunda v Graz99ers} This great result tonight could be the tip of a very unusual iceberg. ?:cool:

Devil94

First period I was worried that missing Joey really stopped our offence and we didnt look like scoring. Second though was superb and Micky Mac stood up to the plate massively.

As has been said, to win against that opposition while not playing our best shows how good we are/can be.

That first goal was huge, and what a great play by Pope to make it happen.

Bit lucky with a missed offside call on the third goal, wasn't even close. But a great finish by Linger against a very good goalie.

No reason now why we can't go 2 from 2 on Sunday.

SteveKing

steve as always appreciate your input and comments here.
if i may ask, in your opinion where do you rank the EIHL now? im finding it hard to judge. ie is the Czech league now around the level you see the devils which is just below del?

i thought we were a more physical team and more determined outfit and the Czech side faster. i think we play a different style to our rivals which can work to in our favour.
Jimmy, it’s really hard to tell but there’s no doubt that the combination of our British players elevating their play and the higher level of player that is coming into our league (due to improved reputation and import restrictions in other leagues), we have now come right in line with many other countries. The issue in the recent past is that the depth in our league prevented us from being considered at a higher level. Last year us and Belfast were clearly separated from the rest. I believe that this year our league has the depth of talent to be considered a top league as opposed to a couple of top teams. Our league has so much going for it - so if we ever found a way to increase our revenue streams through things like TV and sponsorship, I firmly believe we’d be able to catch the big boys like the DEL. Right now the wage gap is just too big.

Devil_Abroad

100% agree. Compared to today’s level it was crap, but back in the day it was great and we had no benchmark to compare it against.

Looking back, the likes of Wilkie, Nelson, Morris, Burnicle etc etc would never get near an EIHL roster, but it was still fab.
Think you’re missing the point here. Yes our team wasn’t the best which makes Lyle’s antics on the ice winning us games against top quality hockey players even more astounding. The teams we played weren’t Sunday league quality.

Gritty win for the Devil's and well deserved against quality opposition.... physically owned Mountfield which I don't think would've happened last season so shows we have strengthened our weaknesses. Riley was a wardog, you can see from this game alone the guy hates losing and should be big for us this season. Having not seen any pre-season matches where reports are he seemed to still be settling I was very impressed with Jardine, won his battles overall and made some smart defensive plays whilst looking to have a bit of an offensive upside! My feelings for the league is we may not quite have the va va voom of the steelers and Belfast throughout the line up but our grit and passion will see us fighting it out! I also feel our lines look more balanced this season which for me was a slight issue season gone.

No reason we can't compete with Graz 99ers for me or look to beat Mountfield at their barn, they have pace in abundance but really dont like it up them!

Earnie

What a win! Got a bit nervous in the first but thereafter I calmed down. Every player did their utmost as a team. I loved it . The late goal was unfortunate because 3-1 would have been a better reflection on the game.
Bring on Sunday.