Devils vs Mountfield HK - 30 Aug 19 - CHL

Gough60

With at least 1 EIHL ref on the ice for both home games does make me feel a bit (though only slightly) better for the upcoming CHL games. Deano & Hogarth are more switched on to the slightly more physical game we play. That compared to having seen players from the likes of Davos, Liberic, going down when a stick gets within 6" of their skates. Can see the likes of Reiley, Maj & Louis all having to tread carefully in the 1st 10 min.
Whats the forum's thoughts?

moggy#9

With at least 1 EIHL ref on the ice for both home games does make me feel a bit (though only slightly) better for the upcoming CHL games. Deano & Hogarth are more switched on to the slightly more physical game we play. That compared to having seen players from the likes of Davos, Liberic, going down when a stick gets within 6" of their skates. Can see the likes of Reiley, Maj & Louis all having to tread carefully in the 1st 10 min.
Whats the forum's thoughts?
I'd expect the first 10 mins to be very tactical with the devils playing some sort of trap. If we can get the Mountfield players frustrated they may pick up silly penalties. What we can't afford to do is take stupid penalties for late hits, face off violations or too many men. If bownsie doesn't play I expect us to be far more defensive and give murdy a lot of protection. The special teams are going to be key. I certainly hope that we generate a lot more movement around the net.

Rob Batch

If we want to win this we have to stay out of the 'box', simple. On a side note, the away leg has disappeared from the prem sports schedule ??

kingmo19.1

Yes I did and for those times it was awesome, it’s all relevant, the football 30 yrs ago was by today’s standards notgreat, though-it was then, and running the 100 mts in 13/14 sec was sublime. Hockey in the WNIR was certainly a night to behold, 2,500 people loved it.
100% agree. Compared to today’s level it was crap, but back in the day it was great and we had no benchmark to compare it against.

Looking back, the likes of Wilkie, Nelson, Morris, Burnicle etc etc would never get near an EIHL roster, but it was still fab.

In fairness, Boston Barts reference was to 1994 and the year Stevie played at the age of 14. By that time the team and overall league standard had progressed quite a bit and (happy to be corrected) I'm sure that was the year that Doug Smail played.

Mooney#16

As Giants have shown. Work hard, skate hard, play angles and play smart and you can match them. Get lazy and try using your stick to impede and you’ll spend whole game in the box.

For Devils. Play a simple game. Fully committed and at full speed and don’t hesitate on your chances just bury them.

matbur

You could fully understand it if Bowns felt he wasn't in the right frame of mind to perform in a big game, but everything about his character suggests he'll be between the pipes tonight and in the zone. The guy is huge to our chances of success.

Stating the obvious, but I'm really, really looking forward to tonight's game. First proper game back and all that, but we need to do our bit as fans and make an atmosphere to get the boys going.

LGD!!!

Diablo3

You could fully understand it if Bowns felt he wasn't in the right frame of mind to perform in a big game, but everything about his character suggests he'll be between the pipes tonight and in the zone. The guy is huge to our chances of success.

Stating the obvious, but I'm really, really looking forward to tonight's game. First proper game back and all that, but we need to do our bit as fans and make an atmosphere to get the boys going.

LGD!!!
I'm guessing Bownsy will be between the pipes tonight. There is a big clue in his new CHL Helmet design.