Confirmed Signings (& some departures) - All Teams 2019/2020

Gazza272

with the exception of the play off win, surely the Giants are currently the team to be caught ( tongue in cheek remark) …..it seem most teams have upped their recruitment and it looks like it could be a exciting season all around

In all honesty I find the Devils/Giants paths fascinating over the past decade. The GIants changed the game in the UK in the way they played when you had Elfring, you punished the league the year you won it with him, and it was clearly a template for the new Devils era to undertake, which we did with Hotham and Fournier leading the charge, we tweaked some other ways of working and Keefe has now come roaring back, it's proper back and Forth stuff.

and yes I totally agree as league champs you are very much the team to beat! :)

terry hunt

I am sure that Reddox was signed at the end of last season and other clubs would have known.It explains the massive clear out at Belfast.
The announcement today is obviously deliberate when training starts to put the wind up some people and get season tickets moving again.
Reading the comments on here it seems to have had an effect yet the puck hasnt dropped yet on the new season.

I enjoyed watching Reddox play for the Lakers and thought he would make a decent Devil.Playing for Belfast will be different though.He has been coached by a highly respected Sam Hallam and could have played for Lordo.
Sadly he has accepted the alternative and will play for a lunatic who will not give him the same respect.
I hope he is a success he has the credentials to entertain fans in the UK and maybe GB fans.
would you like some chips for all that salt? ;););)

august04

for the Steelers I don't think Johnson was great last year, Phillips has shown he has mistakes in him, and I wouldn't swap O'Connor for Richardson Defensively. Brocklehurst looks very good, but Meland isn't any better than the Imports we have in my opinion. They will get stronger Goaltending, but that D core isn't as balanced or equipped as ours for me on paper.
Why are you even comparing O’Connor with Richardson defensively? O’Connor is the best British offensive D man while Richardson is the best British defensive blue liner. I’m sure you agree that they’re completely different players and I’d take O’Connor here in a heartbeat. I used to think he was a bit of a show pony but his offensive skills are right up there and I reckon this new Steelers coach will get him playing better than we’ve seen this past two years. I’m sure we’ll see a different Aaron Johnson too - I just can’t envisage Sheffield struggling like they did last year and his experience will be invaluable in a much stronger team, no doubt for me. I agree with you on Philips but let’s not pretend we didn’t have mistakes from some of our defensive corps last season too. My fear is that we’ve been too loyal to one or two (the whole team, not solely the D corps), especially given the calibre of player now coming into the top teams, but let’s see. I sat there bored stiff while watching many games last season. I don’t think that will be the case this year though thankfully. Pre-season last year, I was sure we would win the league (got that wrong but only just!). This year, I’m not so confident but still hopeful!

jenks33

My fear is that we’ve been too loyal to one or two, especially given the calibre of player now coming into the top teams, but let’s see
This is my fear at the moment. I just think we might look back in 9 months time and say we were too loyal with one or two players. I totally agree that it's a good thing to have a big core of players coming back every season and I'm very happy with 95% of our returnees. One or two are lucky boys though in my eyes.

Gisland

This is my fear at the moment. I just think we might look back in 9 months time and say we were too loyal with one or two players. I totally agree that it's a good thing to have a big core of players coming back every season and I'm very happy with 95% of our returnees. One or two are lucky boys though in my eyes.

Gazza272

Why are you even comparing O’Connor with Richardson defensively? O’Connor is the best British offensive D man while Richardson is the best British defensive blue liner. I’m sure you agree that they’re completely different players and I’d take O’Connor here in a heartbeat. I used to think he was a bit of a show pony but his offensive skills are right up there and I reckon this new Steelers coach will get him playing better than we’ve seen this past two years. I’m sure we’ll see a different Aaron Johnson too - I just can’t envisage Sheffield struggling like they did last year and his experience will be invaluable in a much stronger team, no doubt for me. I agree with you on Philips but let’s not pretend we didn’t have mistakes from some of our defensive corps last season too. My fear is that we’ve been too loyal to one or two (the whole team, not solely the D corps), especially given the calibre of player now coming into the top teams, but let’s see. I sat there bored stiff while watching many games last season. I don’t think that will be the case this year though thankfully. Pre-season last year, I was sure we would win the league (got that wrong but only just!). This year, I’m not so confident but still hopeful!

Because as the teams respective top British Defenceman, on balance I think Richardson helps a championship cause more due to the way he plays. He can still chip in points, but I would certainly trust him more on the PK. Yes their day in day out roles are different, but in terms of an overall package of what you are getting i'd much prefer a Richardson - Fournier package to an O'connor and one other from what they have signed.

Maybe we will see an Improved Johnson, but they were in a hole last year and needed their vets to step up far more than he did, there seemed to be little fight in him for the cause last year under both coaches.

RedDevil17

Maybe we will see an Improved Johnson, but they were in a hole last year and needed their vets to step up far more than he did, there seemed to be little fight in him for the cause last year under both coaches.
Can't just blame Johnson there was loads of Sheffield players who lacked fight. Have you taken Johnson’s D partner into account? Nearly all of the D men were rubbish for Sheffield so you can’t blame one individual, you have to look at the entire D corps! I’d have taken O’Connor over one of our import D men regardless of whether he’s a Brit or not. His offensive talents are second to none in terms of being an offensive D man in this league. Johnson is good as it shows by his resume...you don’t play multiple seasons in the NHL if you’re not good

august04

Because as the teams respective top British Defenceman, on balance I think Richardson helps a championship cause more due to the way he plays. He can still chip in points, but I would certainly trust him more on the PK. Yes their day in day out roles are different, but in terms of an overall package of what you are getting i'd much prefer a Richardson - Fournier package to an O'connor and one other from what they have signed.

They’re like chalk and cheese - an either or comparison is not relevant. I’d happily have both, they do quite well playing for GB!
And your comment re. Johnson - you could say that about anyone in that Steelers team last year. That camp has been just wrong for a couple of years. They’ll be a different animal this season under Fox.

Gazza272

Can't just blame Johnson there was loads of Sheffield players who lacked fight. Have you taken Johnson’s D partner into account? Nearly all of the D men were rubbish for Sheffield so you can’t blame one individual, you have to look at the entire D corps! I’d have taken O’Connor over one of our import D men regardless of whether he’s a Brit or not. His offensive talents are second to none in terms of being an offensive D man in this league. Johnson is good as it shows by his resume...you don’t play multiple seasons in the NHL if you’re not good

I'm not suggesting he's a terrible player. I'm suggesting that his performances last season don't suggest he's going to improve dramatically enough for him to be better than the players we have.

And yes lots of players for Sheffield were poor, but Deluca and O'connor managed to play above themselves didn't they? why couldn't Johnson? Again I think he will be better this year, but better than what we have? Not so sure. I could be wrong though. Just throwing it out there.

Gazza272

They’re like chalk and cheese - an either or comparison is not relevant. I’d happily have both, they do quite well playing for GB!
And your comment re. Johnson - you could say that about anyone in that Steelers team last year. That camp has been just wrong for a couple of years. They’ll be a different animal this season under Fox.
Just because players have different styles doesn't mean you can't find comparisons as to what they will bring over the season. But I appreciate what you are saying. I guess my comparison stems from the fact that O'connor will be paired with someone this year, will that pairing be as good as a Richardson - Fournier pairing, for my money no it wont, but i fully accept that's hypothetical. I'm just trying to inject my positive views here.

Sheffield will be much much improved, and have to be seen as challengers. I just believe that there are factors working against them which will stop them getting over the line to 1st this year, the lessons they learn will leave them in good stead for 20/21 though.

Gisland

Not sure why some Devil's fans are deflated..you have a championship team thats ready to the hit the playing as a unit..your player retention has been impressive..Lord obviously thought this was the way forward..when the Devils announced their returning players most other fans groaned a little, knowing what this team were capable off.. Sill think your starting as favourites...but with a charge of teams coming behind you

now that teams rosters are complete I think its clear that we are competeing for 3rd place this year with Nottingham and braehead.if we stay within 15 points of Sheffield and giants we would have done well.i hope im wrong but how can we compete with the rosters that giants and steelers have put together and we haven't got a spare which I think we need with the chl to play in.this is the year we find out exactly how good a coach lord is as on paper we shouldn't be competing with the giants and steelers.

august04

Not sure why some Devil's fans are deflated..you have a championship team thats ready to the hit the playing as a unit..your player retention has been impressive..Lord obviously thought this was the way forward..when the Devils announced their returning players most other fans groaned a little, knowing what this team were capable off.. Sill think your starting as favourites...but with a charge of teams coming behind you
I’m not deflated. The Devils have mainly addressed the problems from last year and I think we’ll see a much faster, more physical and entertaining team this campaign. There’s a couple of players that I wouldn’t have had back but that’s just my opinion, others won’t feel the same. I think it’s going to be a great season, can’t wait for it to start. It will be close for sure - I’m hopeful we can win the league but I think the Devils will fall just short. That’s not being deflated, it’s just my opinion based on how I see the respective rosters of the Devils and their main rivals.

Last edited:

Ibbz9

There seems to be lots of negative posts about the Devils roster simply based on signings other teams have made. Lots of teams signing "star" players. The Devils already have these type of players; Linglet, Martin, Fournier, Dixon. If the Devils were going to be in the market for a St Pierre, Rau, Reddox etc it would be at the expense of one of the current "stars". A team can realistically only carry so many of these players before it causes problems. They all want top line minutes, special teams etc.
The team have one of, if not, the best Brit packs. Throw in Benti, Louis, Riley and other signings and the squad looks as good as anybody else. If Haddad and Pope have bounce back years, that would be huge too.
I think the team will be right in the mix. The players retained were the big signings.

CaldicotDevil

There seems to be lots of negative posts about the Devils roster simply based on signings other teams have made. Lots of teams signing "star" players. The Devils already have these type of players; Linglet, Martin, Fournier, Dixon. If the Devils were going to be in the market for a St Pierre, Rau, Reddox etc it would be at the expense of one of the current "stars". A team can realistically only carry so many of these players before it causes problems. They all want top line minutes, special teams etc.
The team have one of, if not, the best Brit packs. Throw in Benti, Louis, Riley and other signings and the squad looks as good as anybody else. If Haddad and Pope have bounce back years, that would be huge too.
I think the team will be right in the mix. The players retained were the big signings.
I haven't really read any negative posts. Of course we're all envious of these Belfast & Sheffield superstars, who wouldn't be. I think realistically Devils fans know we're not going to compete with Giants & Sheffield wage budgets but we've put hell of a side together this year. Last year we were the team to beat and everyone seemed to up their game against us, especially Nottingham. This year as slight outsiders might suit us. I think we'll just go about our business quietly and come Feb we'll be up there chasing. Who knows Keefe might lose his cool and fall out with the players again & Fox may be another EIHL coach with an excellent CV but can't quite cut it.

Diablo3

now that teams rosters are complete I think its clear that we are competeing for 3rd place this year with Nottingham and braehead.if we stay within 15 points of Sheffield and giants we would have done well.i hope im wrong but how can we compete with the rosters that giants and steelers have put together and we haven't got a spare which I think we need with the chl to play in.this is the year we find out exactly how good a coach lord is as on paper we shouldn't be competing with the giants and steelers.
Can't agree with that. We have a roster full of class. All that has happened is that the other teams have pushed the boat out to keep up. As Ibbz9 said above, We already had the big name signings with the returnees and we have added to that with some great signings ourselves. I'm looking forward to some huge games this season.