Rumours & Offseason Nonsense 2019/20

Gospel

Hmmmm.....

Never sure this "we should sign this player" is a good idea for a public forum like this. We've seen before that people easily get confused between rumours and fantasy wishlists and before you know it we sign a guy from the ECHL with AHL experience and some fans are "well that is underwhelming compared to what was being mentioned".
Whats the point of this thread then and the Inferno as a whole if these things cant be mentioned/discussed by fans? Isnt it a fans forum to discuss things between fans? The Inferno is not affiliated to the club, that's been made clear by not being able to speak to the players so what harm does it do?

Geez leave some fun to be had here.

I'm still hoping for Brett Bulmer to complete the forwards. After the embarrassing way Fife announced Gauthier I'd can't see Bulmer too thrilled about going back to Fife.

Ideal lines for me;

Linglet - Martin -Riley
Marjamaki - Dixon - Bulmer
Haddad - McNamee - Pope
Batch - Myers - Duggan

If you look at that team it screams a Andrew Lord team. Load of goals & big checking players.

Temme

I'm still hoping for Brett Bulmer to complete the forwards. After the embarrassing way Fife announced Gauthier I'd can't see Bulmer too thrilled about going back to Fife.

Ideal lines for me;

Linglet - Martin -Riley
Haddad - McNamee - Pope
Batch - Myers - Duggan

If you look at that team it screams a Andrew Lord team. Load of goals & big checking players.
Bentivoglio is missing from there, he will be re-signed; and i can't see Linglet icing with Martin - we didn't do that once this year; but with that being said i can't really see how it slots together as on paper we have a massive surplus of LW players.

Bentivoglio, Linglet, Haddad, Batch, Riley, Marjamaki are all on paper listed as LW guys (Batch is listed as D also, and Riley as either wing),

But assuming Batch plays as a forward, we need to find space for:

Bentivoglio (line 1)
Linglet (line 2)
Haddad (line ??)
Marjamaki (line ??)

all in the top 3 lines;

so at least one guy will be playing away from his 'normal' position (according to EP that is :) )

I can't see that we'd drop Batch back to D and role Haddad(??) on the 4th line as he is certainly a top 9 forward.

Bentivoglio is missing from there, he will be re-signed; and i can't see Linglet icing with Martin - we didn't do that once this year; but with that being said i can't really see how it slots together as on paper we have a massive surplus of LW players.

Bentivoglio, Linglet, Haddad, Batch, Riley, Marjamaki are all on paper listed as LW guys (Batch is listed as D also, and Riley as either wing),

But assuming Batch plays as a forward, we need to find space for:

Bentivoglio (line 1)
Linglet (line 2)
Haddad (line ??)
Marjamaki (line ??)

all in the top 3 lines;

so at least one guy will be playing away from his 'normal' position (according to EP that is :) )

I can't see that we'd drop Batch back to D and role Haddad(??) on the 4th line as he is certainly a top 9 forward.
It's a nice problem to have.

I'm a huge Benti fan but if he doesn't come back and we sign a RW instead and Riley play RW then it would balance the team out better with a few more RH'ers. I haven't got a vast knowledge of Marjamaki but it looks like earlier in his career and for his draft he was actually listed as a RW then moved over to the left as he got older, so that may solve the problem. I've never played hockey so I wouldn't know how easy it would be just change after 10 years.

If Benti does sign then the forwards may look like;

Benti - Martin - Riley
Linglet - Dixon - Marjamaki
Haddad - McNamee - Pope
Batch - Myers - Duggan

Linglet seems to be a pass first guy/assist machine and with Riley & Martin 30 goals plus last year Lordo is surely going to try that line out at some stage.

even listed at D I think we all agree Batch is a better forward then defender.

jenks33

I’ve still got a feeling we’ll announce a top winger to partner Martin and Riley on the 1st line. Last year we announced most of our top signings right at the end of the summer (Blood, Dixon, Linglet and dare I say his name - Parisi) and I think we’ll do something similar this year. I’ve mentioned his name on here before but Curtis Hamilton is a player that I think would do great for us. https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/31288/curtis-hamilton

Knows Lordo and Hotham from their time in Oklahoma. Has played with Brett Carson at a couple of clubs. How great would that be? A Hamilton + Carson double signing

jenks33

august04

Hmmmm.....

Never sure this "we should sign this player" is a good idea for a public forum like this. We've seen before that people easily get confused between rumours and fantasy wishlists and before you know it we sign a guy from the ECHL with AHL experience and some fans are "well that is underwhelming compared to what was being mentioned".
Thankfully, we’re free to post what we like as long as its within forum rules. If you don’t like it, don’t read it.

Finny

Thankfully, we’re free to post what we like as long as its within forum rules. If you don’t like it, don’t read it.
And I'm free to post what I like too.

I just don't see the point in picking random players who are almost certainly unatainable at this point in their career.
If it's someone like Sylvestre who has played in the EIHL previously or someone who has started following the club on twitter then I can understand it.

But random NHL/AHLers?

Temme

I just don't see the point in picking random players who are almost certainly unatainable at this point in their career.
If it's someone like Sylvestre who has played in the EIHL previously or someone who has started following the club on twitter then I can understand it.

But random NHL/AHLers?
The post that suggested we pick random players starts off: "Just for fun, let's just throw a few more names out there. ..."

If you don't get any enjoyment from participating in this, and don't see this as "fun", then simply don't participate. Your opinion of any posts that are made "just for fun" regarding new players are invalid if you don't see the purpose of it. It is a little bit of fun between a friendly group of posters that get enjoyment from going through databases looking at potential guys, and finding ANY link to a former Devil that could mean they sign here.

Regarding Sylvestre, a very talented player, but as has been said above - he's a 1C or 2C kind of guy, not something that we're looking at.

@CaldicotDevil I didn't know that about Marjamaki, very interesting that he could be used on the opposite side given there is space there.

@jenks33 That top line winger will be Bentivoglio; i don't have any links/evidence to back this up so you'll have to go with me and hope i'm right haha!
Curtis Hamilton would be an incredible pick, but he has 4-5 years minimum left in the top European leagues before he'd come near the EIHL in my opinion, Going to take a guess that he ends up in the DEL next season.

Last edited:

pjj365

But random NHL/AHLers?
I can't see the point either mainly because I CBA trawling databases

I don't do fantasy football leagues either

Still I get it that both can be fun and TBH I enjoyed checking out the links provided. There really is no harm when it is acknowledged that it is not based on reality or being in any position of influence.

Keep up the "research" guys

Mooney#16

There’s no harm in playing fantasy hockey line ups. As said that’s pretty harmless fun.

But there’s no denying poor Ben Blood got slaughtered by some when he initially signed last summer because people had distorted their expectations talking about various players.

As long as people keep reality in mind and don’t pre judge players when they eventually do sign then crack on.

Gazza272

There’s no harm in playing fantasy hockey line ups. As said that’s pretty harmless fun.

But there’s no denying poor Ben Blood got slaughtered by some when he initially signed last summer because people had distorted their expectations talking about various players.

As long as people keep reality in mind and don’t pre judge players when they eventually do sign then crack on.

I'd agree with this.

I also think we take for granted some of our re signings. Can you imagine the adjulation from other EIHL teams if they snapped up Martin or Fournier or Bowns etc? we have already signed Superstars in this league, they just happen to have already been wearing our colours.

jenks33

You probably couldn't get a more harmless topic than 'Who do we think we're going to sign' and it still offends people.

Let's not forgot that although Parisi didn't end up playing for us we did sign him straight from the AHL where he played 71 games the previous season. Strachan played 61 games in the AHL the season before he came here. Ok granted they are few and far between but it does happen

Ideal lines for me;

Linglet - Martin -Riley
Haddad - McNamee - Pope
Batch - Myers - Duggan

Plus we'd only need to pay for the "B" to be stitched on the back of Layne's jerseys, could definitely save a pretty penny ;)

You probably couldn't get a more harmless topic than 'Who do we think we're going to sign' and it still offends people.

Let's not forgot that although Parisi didn't end up playing for us we did sign him straight from the AHL where he played 71 games the previous season. Strachan played 61 games in the AHL the season before he came here. Ok granted they are few and far between but it does happen
Still baffles me how much of a pull the EIHL has. Realistically I'd rank the AHL the 4th best ice hockey league in the world just ahead of Liiga, with the EIHL probably just outside the top 10. It's amazing how owners & organisations still manage to recruit to such a high standard.

Ibbz9

Still baffles me how much of a pull the EIHL has. Realistically I'd rank the AHL the 4th best ice hockey league in the world just ahead of Liiga, with the EIHL probably just outside the top 10. It's amazing how owners & organisations still manage to recruit to such a high standard.
AHL minimum salary is 47500 USD. They have a huge schedule with terrible travel. EIHL can offer decent salaries with a far easier schedule, easier schedule, lower standard. Some can offer University. For a guy not going to make the NHL, the EIHL is an easy option. Culture/language is near enough the same. Good for families. The UK is an attractive option.

What league would you have 3rd behind NHL and KHL?