Stars Vs Devils - 24 Mar 19 - League

Rob Batch

I would really luv all the losers to nail their thoughts to the mast. OOOh, i'm soo scared. We might lose and superstition might affect the world and this and that, I'm so frightened, ooooooooo. Take reality on the chin. We will win the league.

Rich Best

4 days and counting. What's it gonna be, lilly livered whinging or wholehearted support and determination?
Well said Rob! That is certainly the message the management team will be giving.

There are a bunch of guys who are on the cusp of making history, no one will be able to take that away from them. 5 years work culminates this weekend.

There are some guys (I believe) who have not won anything in their pro career. Will they get a better chance than this weekend?

It is all in their hands, let's see what they've got. I have seen enough from these guys to KNOW that they will have what it takes, when it really matters.

Let's all think positive thoughts, it makes a difference.

Rich Best

Sheffield(LOL), Fife, Dundee and Milton Keynes fans would probably disagree with the above statement.
You obviously weren't a fan years ago when half the teams we would play would be a forgone conclusion, usually beating them by at the very least 5 goals and often double figures. Games were over as a contest before they reached the second period. Double figure scorelines were common place.

So yes, I would argue every team is competitive this year. Even MK. Above MK it has been a dog fight for that 8th playoff spot for weeks or even months. Very few teams have been in what I would class as a 'comfortable' position over the last 8 weeks, which has meant most games have had some meaning.

Samael

Wrong again. I remember the days when we'd have the league wrapped up by the end of January and each year it was us battling with the wasps and the racers. What you consider competative and what I consider competative are two different things I think. Just because a team can take points off anyone else does not make the league competative, all the teams I mentioned above had ZERO chance of winning the league this year by the end Christmas. Explain to me how that is competative?

It's frustrating for a fan to watch their team be mediocre or worse year in year out, I speak from personal experience there and if you just take those rose tinted glasses off for a second you will agree or at least understand. Competition is about winning, not just taking part. Something Sheffield used to have in their DNA. This year the only teams to display what I would consider to have that are us and Belfast (who might even do the grand slam and make history of their own, Nottingham don't count as they didn't get the conference in 2012), so yeah I must strongly disagree this year is competative.

You obviously weren't a fan years ago when half the teams we would play would be a forgone conclusion, usually beating them by at the very least 5 goals and often double figures. Games were over as a contest before they reached the second period. Double figure scorelines were common place.

So yes, I would argue every team is competitive this year. Even MK. Above MK it has been a dog fight for that 8th playoff spot for weeks or even months. Very few teams have been in what I would class as a 'comfortable' position over the last 8 weeks, which has meant most games have had some meaning.
I think in fairness, without taking sides or excacerbating the difference of opinion, Mr Best appears to be referring to every team and therefore every game is potentially competitive, while Mr Samael is suggesting "the league" has not been fully competitive, as certainly since the end of January it has been a 2 horse race.
However for most of us are spectators and fans, there has been enough competion to keep the majority happy with a competitive team which is very close to winning the league competition.

Samael

I think in fairness, without taking sides or excacerbating the difference of opinion, Mr Best appears to be referring to every team and therefore every game is potentially competitive, while Mr Samael is suggesting "the league" has not been fully competitive, as certainly since the end of January it has been a 2 horse race.
However for most of us are spectators and fans, there has been enough competion to keep the majority happy with a competitive team which is very close to winning the league competition.
Nail. Head. Hit. Thanks Mr Taffy. At least rich can spell the word competitve. Unlike myself lol