SEASON TICKETS..

Always been a problem and always will. Andrew Lloyd does a good job though but there is only so much he can do.

But what the programme needs is a director to set out a vision and programme to develop players. There isn't that in place and hasn't been for a long time.

Sheffield have an excellent track record recently but also have problems themselves with some unrest. A Cardiff Devils run project with some real leadership is the only thing to make it work. It's not even money, the parents pay enough anyway. We have a lot of very experienced players in our senior team, who the kids idolise. They should be used more. A few dad's completing a 2 day EIHA coaching course aren't the ones to really bring players along. Help yes, but we need to do more as an organisation.
Out of interest - When was the last time such a vision and programme was in place at the Club?

Peter Ekroth ran junior development for a while - he ran four lines in every age group which resulted in every age group being relegated if I remember correctly.

Pete Russell was employed for a season to head up junior development a few years later

d20

The problem is we dont have good enough coaches we need some ex-pros or ex devisl who have played at a high level ,what we have currently is not good enough and shows there are basic elements of game play not being taught .

We have many ex devils who still live close they should be brought in to help but when there are coaches involved who dont want it to happen incase they lose there role that is not right ,the kids needs the best we can get ,Trevor Hendrikx is soon due back in Cardiff with his wife he would be perfect to be taken on as a head coach with all his experience and the other coaches can work under him,another we can use Jamie Elson who coached at a good level with juniors before his time with the devils .

Why should hendrix be given a chance?
When he came down here after being released from devil's he acted a right twat.
He hit all our young bits around and dropped the gloves and started punching lordo.

No thanks

d20

He had good reason after the way he was treated after being offered a deal only then to have it taken away and after his gf had accepted a job as well and because he is an ex pro which is what the kids needs to help their development not rec coaches who have not played at the high level.

d20

its hockey it happens its his job ,as for you calling him what you did I think thats out of order ,have you ever met Trevor he is one of the nicest guys you could meet,anyway it seems as this thread has gone off topic so ill not put anything else in here so it ca nget back to the original header.

Temme

Yes it was. Majority of our fans booed him through out the game.
So why all of a sudden change of heart
For those 60 minutes on the ice, opposition are the enemy.

After or before those 60 minutes, they're humans.

Fitzgerald, for example, is one of the nicest guys in all of hockey that i've met, will i boo him next year when he cross checks either of the Joey's? Yes.

Would i have a post game beer with him? Yes.

It's called 'hockey'.

The problem is we dont have good enough coaches we need some ex-pros or ex devisl who have played at a high level ,what we have currently is not good enough and shows there are basic elements of game play not being taught .

We have many ex devils who still live close they should be brought in to help but when there are coaches involved who dont want it to happen incase they lose there role that is not right ,the kids needs the best we can get ,Trevor Hendrikx is soon due back in Cardiff with his wife he would be perfect to be taken on as a head coach with all his experience and the other coaches can work under him,another we can use Jamie Elson who coached at a good level with juniors before his time with the devils .
Just because players have played at the highest level does not necessarily make them great coaches.

The junior club tries to make ends meet with what they have available - for the uninitiated, that is a number dedicated volunteers who have at least obtained their coaching qualification and give up countless hours during the week and most weekends to put competitive teams out at all junior age groups - this last season we had two particularly successful teams. U11A made the National Finals and U18s win their Division and Promotion to U18A next season.

Just supposing that TH did offer himself as a Head Coach, Where would you propose the money comes from to pay for his services??

august04

If the junior club were fully integrated into the Devils organisation, then surely a head of junior development position would be one of the most important roles within the club and I’m sure a way could be found to finance that.

august04

Just because players have played at the highest level does not necessarily make them great coaches.

The junior club tries to make ends meet with what they have available - for the uninitiated, that is a number dedicated volunteers who have at least obtained their coaching qualification and give up countless hours during the week and most weekends to put competitive teams out at all junior age groups - this last season we had two particularly successful teams. U11A made the National Finals and U18s win their Division and Promotion to U18A next season.

Just supposing that TH did offer himself as a Head Coach, Where would you propose the money comes from to pay for his services??
In the early days of the junior setup when the Devils were on the way up (and eventually reached the pinnacle in British hockey), when I would suggest the greatest amount of young talent was brought through the ranks to play for the Devils and other pro teams, training sessions would very often see Devils players at that time on the ice training the kids - as well as having the dedicated volunteers, managers and coaches made up mainly from well meaning parents, that you’ll always need. Seeing those players on the ice with them inspired these young lads and in my opinion was a major factor in the early success of the junior set up back then, which was one of the best in the U.K. for many years, along with Durham and Fife. The senior club were closely involved back then and it has to be the way to go again in the future.

Last edited:
If the junior club were fully integrated into the Devils organisation, then surely a head of junior development position would be one of the most important roles within the club and I’m sure a way could be found to finance that.
In principle, you’re probably right. Hasn’t been part of the Devils master plan for the past 4 years, otherwise it would have happened. Personally I don’t see it happening in the next couple of seasons at least, possibly 3-5 years away.

Until that time comes, the juniors club have to cut their cloth accordingly.

Wannabe2

That’s great news for the club, and us alike. It’s nice to see both the owners and fans investing in this great club, these guys are doing their bit, and we are doing ours.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS.