Rumours & Offseason Nonsense 2018/19

Devil94

I highly doubt we will go for Gagnon or go for anyone similar. We can do better than that. Yes he is the toughest, but we have moved away from that, and it has been proved to be very successful, and that’s why other teams are following us.

If we can have someone as tough as Gagnon then great, but he’s gonna have to be a better hockey player.

Alex Plante as has been mentioned above, big body, tough, but first of all a very good player. Yes please.

Well at the moment even Belfast don’t want him, I don’t think he is good enough for the league champions, other teams yes, but not us, we can and should go for better than Martinelli, 4 goals in 103 games, and he can’t fight, ask Lordo.
Well that's 4 times the amount of goals Mark Louis has scored for us. And he isn't a fighter at all so I'm not sure why a narrow loss to Lord is relevant? Bit arrogant to say he is good enough for other teams and not us. There are another 4 or 5 teams all thinking they have just as good a shot at the league as us.

I highly doubt we will go for Gagnon or go for anyone similar. We can do better than that. Yes he is the toughest, but we have moved away from that, and it has been proved to be very successful, and that’s why other teams are following us.

If we can have someone as tough as Gagnon then great, but he’s gonna have to be a better hockey player.

Alex Plante as has been mentioned above, big body, tough, but first of all a very good player. Yes please.
Don't think Panthers are following us? They've signed Doty who I would describe as an enforcer, he is a good player in his own right but will be doing enforcing I have no doubt about that.

Well at the moment even Belfast don’t want him, I don’t think he is good enough for the league champions, other teams yes, but not us, we can and should go for better than Martinelli, 4 goals in 103 games, and he can’t fight, ask Lordo.
Not only is that more than a little arrogant, i hope you are keeping the Devils coaching staff up to date with your insider knowledge of Adam Keefe's roster plans

Devil94

Don't think Panthers are following us? They've signed Doty who I would describe as an enforcer, he is a good player in his own right but will be doing enforcing I have no doubt about that.
He is tough, but he also scored 35 points on a poor Braehead side (which incidentally is more points than Faryna scored for us). I expect Doty to be on the third line for the Panthers and I expect him to do well. If he wasn’t capable of chipping in with those points, then I don’t the Panthers would have gone near him.
Although Doty isn't as tough as Gagnon, I would hazard a guess that they have decided to replace a player who is not quite as tough but a better player. I think Sheffield will do the same by not signing Fitzgerald, both going for overall team toughness like us.

Jonesy83

Well that's 4 times the amount of goals Mark Louis has scored for us. And he isn't a fighter at all so I'm not sure why a narrow loss to Lord is relevant? Bit arrogant to say he is good enough for other teams and not us. There are another 4 or 5 teams all thinking they have just as good a shot at the league as us.
Mark Louis has scored 4 goals in 97 EIHL competive games.

Ryan Martinelli has scored 4 goals in 124 EIHL competive games.

Louis has fought Fitzgerald x 2, Nickerson, Byers, Doty & Hanson.

Martinelli has fought Lord, Farmer & Neiley.

Last edited:
I can't fathom how people can even begin comparing Doty's point production to the likes of Mark Louis and Justin Faryna...

First of all Doty plays C/RW and Mark Louis plays D.

Second of all, Braehead had nowhere NEAR the offense that Cardiff had last season. Mark's role was not to score goals - we had plenty of other guys signed up with that job description.

Third, Faryna scored 33 points on a team where other guys were scoring 60/70 points, which is impressive for a guy with Faryna's role on a highly offensive team. Doty scored 3rd most points on a terrible Braehead team where nobody except Brendan Brooks scored much more than 40 and most guys scored less that 10 goals....

Also, if points are what you're interested in, Gagnon scored 11 on a p**s poor panthers side. And racked up 106 PIM. Drew Paris scored 20 points last season. He wouldn't even be a good replacement for Paris?!

Yikes.

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

Wannabe2

He looks a very good player, he has over 200 games in the AHL, 10 in the NHL, plus a season in Austria, he is 29 yrs of age, and is 6ft 3in. I believe his dad maybe Cam Plante who played for Peterborough Pirates and played against us in the WNIR, he was a feisty player, and his brother I think was Steelers netminder at one time. Hope that helps.He is also a feisty player.

zoesdevil

He looks a very good player, he has over 200 games in the AHL, 10 in the NHL, plus a season in Austria, he is 29 yrs of age, and is 6ft 3in. I believe his dad maybe Cam Plante who played for Peterborough Pirates and played against us in the WNIR, he was a feisty player, and his brother I think was Steelers netminder at one time. Hope that helps.He is also a feisty player.
Cheers, he seems like a similar player to Strachan?

Mark Louis has scored 4 goals in 97 EIHL competive games.

Ryan Martinelli has scored 4 goals in 124 EIHL competive games.

Louis has fought Fitzgerald x 2, Nickerson, Byers, Doty & Hanson.

Martinelli has fought Lord, Farmer & Neiley.
That's including cup games. There's only one trophy that matters and he has 1 goal in two years. But it's trivial both are stay at home D men so again a fairly useless stat.

Why is it relevant how many fights he's had too? Don' see the benefit in that stat. Tell me how many hits he's made and I'll concede on that but not a handful of 5 second fights.

Our fans hate Martinelli when he plays against us. That tells it's own story on how effective and physical he is.

Wannabe2

Well I dislike him when he plays against us, because he is a cheap shot merchant, and too me very cowardly, it certainly ain’t because he is very effective, and very physical, I also think he is crap. Loved him on Giants roster because he was ineffective. There we are we all see things through different eyes.

Jonesy83

That's including cup games. There's only one trophy that matters and he has 1 goal in two years. But it's trivial both are stay at home D men so again a fairly useless stat.

Why is it relevant how many fights he's had too? Don' see the benefit in that stat. Tell me how many hits he's made and I'll concede on that but not a handful of 5 second fights.

Our fans hate Martinelli when he plays against us. That tells it's own story on how effective and physical he is.
Firstly, I’m not knocking Martinelli or saying it’d hate him playing for the Devils. I was responding to your first post regarding goals and being a fighter.

Second, yes that does included cup games and I have to disagree about ‘There being one trophy that matters’ as the majority of people saying Martinelli would be good for the Devils is because of what he did against us in the CUP final.

I’m a big fan of the challenge cup and have been to both finals in IAW. You only had to see the difference between being there and winning and being there and losing , to see what it meant to the fan base.

I believe Louis scored 2 of his goals in the semi final victory over Belfast in Belfast, when we were behind on aggregate, those were two massively import goals in the 16/17 season and without them we wouldn’t have won the Cup or the treble that season. They were more import in the grand scheme of things that the league goal he scored.

But yes it is all a bit trivial as they are stay at home D men.

Devil_Abroad

Gagnon could do the same job as bordy put the fear of god against other teams when on the ice, and we won trophys as well with bordy who only fought once or twice if i can remember... clan , panthers and belfast will be tough this season no doubt about that. teams will think twice about running bowns if we had gagnon...thats if bowns is still with us that is..
Bowns was run into by opponents more times the season before last when we had the biggest enforcer we’ve had on the roster than last season

Gagnon will not stop players running into Bowns

I prefer team toughness where players with great skill and speed can step up when it’s necessary and right to do so in the game

Gagnon is a step backwards for me and we won’t be signing him

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Devil_Abroad

Can’t see how Plante is an upgrade on what we have in that position? His points production isn’t good enough I don’t think?

jimmy snels

a first round draft pick with NHL games and loads of AHL isnt an upgrade? when i heard this i prayed it was us!! go look at ALL of our D men on elite prospects and compare. i hope we sign a replacement for paris of this level and id be desperare to sign a forward to replace crowder of similar ilk experience wise!

RedDevil17

Can’t see how Plante is an upgrade on what we have in that position? His points production isn’t good enough I don’t think?

So Plante isn’t an upgrade on Reddick or Paris?? I honestly can’t tell whether this is a joke or not. Look at the numbers. Plante has over 212 AHL games with 43 points compared to Paris’ 29 games and 5 points. Plante has 10 NHL games and Paris and Reddick haven’t had any so how you can say he’s not an upgrade on both is baffling when it comes to both experience in terms of games played and numbers (points tally). Judging by them numbers I’d say his 'point production' and experience is more than good enough.

Last edited:

Wannabe2

Jesus you real or what,I know you are Devils Abroad, but where exactly are you Outer Mongolia. Thank god you ain’t our coach.

Everyone around here is so obsessed with numbers. That's only a part of the picture - we have key role players in Cardiff who don't score many points, but we also wouldn't win games without them...

jimmy snels

As we dont see plus/minus its also even more open for debate. Hotham id guessfor example scores heavily. but do we also conceed more with him on the ice? louis doesnt score but is he scored on? all very important factors and what make up a team. I agree the stats only tell a part of the story but if a general rule of thumb they will have decent abilities if they were drafted in top 100 and played more than 10 NHL games.