Rumours & Offseason Nonsense 2018/19

E.D.S.

Martin “Nugget” Williams could be signing for us if a Question of Sport is to be believed. Back up goalie?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Temme

I think Hook would be a great signing for us, but only if a Brit was to leave, as I think if he did sign (correct me if I'm wrong) he could only play if we played an import short?
Each team is allowed 3 U23 contract players; we have Rutkis & Moore at present, Moore still qualifies this coming season.

There are very very few players that could contribute much to a team other than warming a bench/taking a 4th line shift when the team is 5 goals up in the 3rd.

This is why there's such a premium on Moore, Kirk, Shudra, Betteridge etc.

Looking at production alone, and given the tough season MK had, Hook is arguably the most valuable of these players & there's no doubt in my mind that the reason him leaving MK is that another club has poached him (as did we with Moore last season).

ASHIPP

It makes sense that the rumours involve a Belfast move for Lewis Hook. Giants have struggled with obtaining good young British players in the U23 category.

Ocko

Teams only technically need 1 U23 to run 4 lines. Belfast had this because of Whistle but if rumours are to be believed he is Sheffield bound so the merry go round of players would start.

pjj365

Don't think it's a case of being "allowed" 3 under 23s simply that a full bench CAN consist of a limit of 14 imports and thus it follows there CAN be 8 Brits 3 of whom must be under 23

We could run a bench of 22 under 23 Brits if we were mad enough or I guess 12 imports, 7 senior Brits and 3 under 23s

Also, this is I believe a bench limit not a roster limit

Devil_Abroad

It makes sense that the rumours involve a Belfast move for Lewis Hook. Giants have struggled with obtaining good young British players in the U23 category.
Panthers now following him, also Panthers Live........ But then they have enough U23s surely?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Devil94

With Neiley retiring that's now 10 imports that have left Sheffield, and wouldn't surprise me if there's a few more to come. Surely it's last chance for PT, if he doesn't get his recruitment right in the next few months, that should be curtains if there's another trophyless season. Although you never know with how that club is set up.

Sheffield were in for Dunbar, but he's just signed in Guildford. Sounds like they're going for a younger, quicker side than last year. A few players last year looked like they were signed for their CV alone, without much thought into lines/chemistry etc.

Wagstaff

With Neiley retiring that's now 10 imports that have left Sheffield, and wouldn't surprise me if there's a few more to come. Surely it's last chance for PT, if he doesn't get his recruitment right in the next few months, that should be curtains if there's another trophyless season. Although you never know with how that club is set up.

Sheffield were in for Dunbar, but he's just signed in Guildford. Sounds like they're going for a younger, quicker side than last year. A few players last year looked like they were signed for their CV alone, without much thought into lines/chemistry etc.
Unless Thomson is going the safe route and poaching from other EIHL teams, bringing in new players is always a risk as far as chemistry and commitment are concerned.

Devil_Abroad

Unless Thomson is going the safe route and poaching from other EIHL teams, bringing in new players is always a risk as far as chemistry and commitment are concerned.
It’s a huge task and unless he does a thorough job like Lord on character then to compete Steelers will need to spend BIG.

We’re going to strengthen, so are the Giants. Flames have already shown their intent. Panthers will no doubt be bringing in plenty of Canucks with European experience.

I think things are stacked against him this coming season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is his last chance. He fails, it's curtains for him here.

Be interested to see what a desperate Paul Thompson can achieve.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Wannabe2

Huge mountain to climb, put together a team of strangers and expect success in this climate, tough call. Made even harder when some outfit from Wales are upsetting the apple cart.

ASHIPP

Poaching players from other EIHL teams isn't always the safe route either. Some players in the past who have switched clubs have not always performed as well. It's whether the coach can get the best out of them by giving them a realistic role, match players to get some chemistry going etc. Of course player fitness and happiness are influencing factors too.