Play-off QF match ups

DevilDom

Thread starter #1
As it stands after last night:
Devils v Clan
Storm v Panthers
Giants v Flames
Flyers v Steelers

Which is quite convenient for the 4 so called big boys and could potentially see semi-finals of Devils v Panthers and Giants v Steelers.
However, only positions 1 and 2 are settled and although those in positions 3 to 7 are all guaranteed a spot, where they finally end up is still up for grabs.
I have a feeling we may see some strange results over the coming weekend with teams potentially trying to manipulate who they get in the QF match ups. I'm pretty sure Steelers and Giants will want to avoid each other!

pjj365

Did a quick check earlier today and it is interesting

3 & 4 Playoff run in All win remaining games (and they are not playing each other)
3rd Giants - 72 points (lose on Saturday then 70 points) - count back between them and Flyers for 5th)
4th Panthers or Steelers on 71 points (not done a count back)

it does mean Giants have something to play for on Saturday

Jonesy83

Don’t Fife get 3rd place in the rankings no matter where they finish in the league table as they are conference champions??

pjj365

Don’t Fife get 3rd place in the rankings no matter where they finish in the league table as they are conference champions??
Fair comment but I thought conference champions took 8th if they did not make top 8 in the first place
Totally open to correction on this though

fdlf666

Fair comment but I thought conference champions took 8th if they did not make top 8 in the first place
Totally open to correction on this though
No need to be corrected. EIHL criteria explains as follows;

In the event that a Conference winner does not finish in the top 8 in the league standings, that team (the Conference winner) will replace the club that finished 8th in the league as the #8 seed for the playoffs.

In the unlikely event that two Conference winners do not finish in to the top 8 in the league standings those teams will replace the clubs that finished 7th and 8th in the league as the #7 and #8 seed for the playoffs - the Conference winner with the better overall record being the #7 seed in this scenario.

Gough60

Panties can get 6 points as they now play 3 games in 3 days. Flyers can get 2 points and the rest a possible 4 points.
I can see a 1/4 final match up somewhere that will pitch 1 of these, Giants, Steelers or Panthers against each other.
"Happy hockey days" to quote a regular poster.

Gaz G

I just want the Panthers to have the toughest quarter final possible. I really wouldn't want to play them in the semi final if we get through.

Finny

In previous years yes, but they changed the rules at the start of this season.
Had Fife's netminder not got injured and the team imploded we would have had the Conference winners in 1st, 2nd and 3rd anyway.

Usually with three days remaining of the regular season you have a rough idea of how the pairings will work, with 1 maybe 2 already confirmed. The fact that only the top 2 are confirmed is quite remarkable and shows how competitive this league has been (excluding Edinburgh).

Sheffield play Edinburgh at home tomorrow so that should be a guaranteed 2 points. Edinburgh have a Scottish-Triple Header but their 3rd game is in Edinburgh so again that should be 2 points.

I'm going to predict:
Cardiff v Braehead
Manchester v Guildford
Belfast v Nottingham
Sheffield v Fife

Although I wouldn't be surprised if I get all those wrong!

ASHIPP

Did a quick check earlier today and it is interesting

3 & 4 Playoff run in All win remaining games (and they are not playing each other)
3rd Giants - 72 points (lose on Saturday then 70 points) - count back between them and Flyers for 5th)
4th Panthers or Steelers on 71 points (not done a count back)

it does mean Giants have something to play for on Saturday

So we just know the Giants are going to be bringing their tough, battling game and be completely fired up mentally against Devils on Saturday.

For all the talk that these last few games have been the Devils' version of 'playoff preparation' let's hope they are as mentally and physically ready as the Giants will be.

The Devils may not care too much about the result with the bigger picture in mind, but will a few consecutive below par home performances giving a psychological motivation to some of your closest rivals be an advantage going into a tournament.

Last edited:
All I can work out and am happy to be proved wrong but if Steelers lose to Storm and Giants and Panthers win as expected then Steelers could drop to 5th and get Giants over 2 legs??? Unless Flyers get a higher position for winning conference ? If so I guess that means Giants get Panthers !! . We get Blaze no matter what !! No way we can afford to take them lightly!!

Gough60

As the storm capitulated to the blaze at home I can't see much of a change to positions tonight if they do the same against squealers. That would mean a panties v giants 1/4.
I'm prob wrong as there are so many scenarios possible. Still think 1 of the match ups will involve 2 of these. Giants, panties or squealers.

Finny

As the storm capitulated to the blaze at home I can't see much of a change to positions tonight if they do the same against squealers. That would mean a panties v giants 1/4.
I'm prob wrong as there are so many scenarios possible. Still think 1 of the match ups will involve 2 of these. Giants, panties or squealers.
I don’t think it was any coincidence that Finnerty chose to play their backup netminder against the team who were fighting his old team for the last playoff spot.
I would expect Storm to play full strength against Sheffield tonight, especially as there is quite a good rivalry rebuilding there.

Finny

So my prediction was wrong. Surprise surprise. But anyway:

We definitely play Coventry.
If Guildford lose to Coventry, then they play Manchester. Else Manchester play Fife.
Belfast will play either Sheffield or Nottingham unless they beat Dundee AND Guildford, Nottingham and Sheffield all lose. But with Nottingham playing Edinburgh that’s very unlikely.

I haven’t been to Coventry for years..
Il be going up Friday hoping for a devils win
Hopefully red army can tell us soon what time they plan on leaving.

pjj365

We then get the winner of panthers giants.
Steelers get a easier route imo

I’m good my for devils steelers final devils win 4-2 :)
Not sure about this

I thought seedings for semis was based on league position so, if Flyers beat Storm we get Flyers - am I right on this interpretation? If I am then:

If Storm and Steelers win then, yes, we get Panthers or Giants. If Flames win and Storm win we get Flames

TBH I would hate to call any of these games and,anyway, our first step is Blaze - then think about the rest

Finny

Not sure about this

I thought seedings for semis was based on league position so, if Flyers beat Storm we get Flyers - am I right on this interpretation? If I am then:
If Storm and Steelers win then, yes, we get Panthers or Giants. If Flames win and Storm win we get Flames
TBH I would hate to call any of these games and,anyway, our first step is Blaze - then think about the rest
Based on previous years, then yes. And I haven't seen anything to suggest it has changed.

DevilDom

Thread starter #20
Pretty sure there was an article stating this is how it would be, so in theory we should be hoping for a Flyers win so if we do get past Blaze we get them rather than Giants or Panthers. However, as we well know its the playoffs and anything can happen - just remember Coventry dismantling us in the play-off semi-final a couple of years ago!

I think Flyers and Flames will be well up for their games as they have been resting players for the last few weeks.