Devils v Storm - Wed 21 Mar 2018 - League - FO 7:30 - Chat/Updates

ASHIPP

Sorry but struggled to believe at times tonight that we were actually watching the league champions play the Storm. It was as bad as Sunday - no cohesion, no chemistry, at times no leadership, some poor individual performances and one or two invisible performances.

Finnerty brings the Storm to Cardiff and plays all his available players. Devils rest 4 players including some very key players. We looked very average without them. Storm took it seriously....Devils looked like they were at the morning skate. Storm have won 3 out of 4 games against Devils - an uncomfortable reality but you can see why. They are so fast and have a sensational first line with great supporting cast.

After the euphoria of achieving the League title it feels like these last 4 games in front of the home crowd are being played like they are meaningless. But it's not meaningless to the fans who have paid to watch a performance.

3 home losses in a row leaves a sour taste. If the last two games were preparation for the playoffs then there appears to be a lot of work still to do.

Last edited:

davew

the play which was reviewed, was a no goal.

The first time the puck pinged the bar may well have been reviewable, but it was not challenged before the following face-off, we then scored. still no challenge, a second ping and the play is reviewed.....reffing blunder big time tonight which killed the game completely, just as well tonight's game was not the league decider!!

not happy !

BostonBart22

What worries me is will this team pick themselves up for the playoffs..need to put a good show this coming weekend otherwise confidence will be very low.. blaze and clan will defo be up for it in the playoffs for sure

James

Administrator

The first time the puck pinged the bar may well have been reviewable, but it was not challenged before the following face-off, we then scored. still no challenge, a second ping and the play is reviewed.....reffing blunder big time tonight which killed the game completely, just as well tonight's game was not the league decider!!

not happy !
It was definitely a goal from where we sit (block 1)

terry hunt

According to the EIHL game report "the Devils and the Storm served up a show".???
Must apologise to any new supporters who came tonight.
Unfortunately the Cardiff Devils couldnt make the game tonight so they sent a tribute team instead.
We regret no refunds can be made(please see our terms and conditions)
Hope to see you all at the remaining 3 home games which we will win.
We have won 2 of our last 5 games at home so see you there

davew

A friend who was coming back from the cafe said that he thought that the FIRST time the puck hit the bar that THAT was a goal, the review was on the second ping, hence why only 30secs were added back to the clock, and our 3rd goal stood. Had the first play been reviewed before the next face off, then no one would be upset.

Pope#42

These last few performances are concerning - losing can become a habit and just when we should be building momentum to lead us into the playoffs we seem to be doing the opposite. The likes of Belfast and Sheffield haven't stopped and I can see that working in their favour going into the playoffs.

The game was hyped and I was very much looking forward to tonight's game but it was a bit of a let down and definitely didn't look like a 1st vs 2nd place game. It was said that Martin would return tonight - does anyone know if he was a healthy scratch?

Diafol

Well that didn't look like a 1st v 2nd game to me.
More like a 3rd v 4th at the POFW.

Enough with the resting of certain players now.
We need two good performances this weekend to build some confidence for the playoffs (for fans and players alike).

Wannabe2

not happy !
Believe me that was a goal, the netting does not raise on its own, no ping of metal, we sit more or less in line with the goal and that was 100% a goal.

CaldicotDevil

Tonight just felt like a pre season game however with the playoffs round the corner and the storms mob of goons I can’t see why Lordo didn’t take any risks.

Good to see Louis dropping the gloves again. Loved Louis last year and I think we’ve really missed his toughness this year. I know he’s struggled with injuries this year but considering he’s just won the league his body language just gives off the vibe that he isn’t a happy player at the minute. Fingers crossed he can find last years form.

bdevil

I may be in the monitory but I enjoyed the game tonight. Excellent to see Rutkis get some valuable time on first line with haddad and pope. He didn’t look too out of place either.
Lack of cohesion down to changing every forward line to accommodate more ice time for the likes of rutkis, batch and piggot.
Our best D line of the season, no.1 choice Nettie and best forward not playing, Rolling 5 d and giving hoth as little ice time as possible. We were probably only at 50% strength.
I expect this weekend to be the complete opposite now 4 of our most key guys from this year have rested up. Build the chemistry and momentum back going into the quarters.
The like of Belfast and Sheffield are still going for it because they’ve got a better seeding spot to play for.
We need to be thankful we’ve for the luxury of not only winning the league but doing it with 4 games to go to enable us to rest such clutch players before then play offs.

I may be in the monitory but I enjoyed the game tonight.
I have to agree, we wernt dominant, but the boys where trying and saying they wernt is a massive disservice. Mixing lines up trying things out is only a good thing. Loved seeing rutkis play, some nice plays but yep quite a few unforced errors, and some conservative play, I would hate to see a dops ban or injury now!

Paul Sullivan

I think our expectation levels are now incredibly high and we want to win every game we play, regardless. I'm disappointed after tonight, and I want some more wins on the weekend like everyone.

In the Q&A tonight Todd mentioned we will rest a couple of guys that maybe had niggles. I nodded sagely like most other present. Funny how quick that sentiment can change following a loss, for us all.

For me, I'm taking away that with our (albeit very good) backup in net, our best player, an NHL defenceman and a pocket rocket D man missing, and maybe a couple of guys who would have liked to have performed better, bar the two empty netters that was the second placed team squeaking a one goal game. I'm trying to have a half full glass. Times have changed, eh? :)

Sorry but I know they do not want to risk injuries but as a fan who has paid a lot of money to watch a game, rush to get there after working all day I am so disappointed with what I’ve been watching. And there are 2 games at the weekend to endure if they decide to play the same. I brought over 120 from my work last Sunday (they all paid to come) and I’ve been asked by quite a few if that was a normal game as they had heard such good things and they saw a below par game. Unfortunately some will not return. To go to the play offs having potentially lost their lost 4 games really can’t be doing the team morale any good.

We all know the devils are gunna rest a few players and so they should.
They worked there butts off all year to win the title and are allowed a few games to recover and get ready for the playoffs.

Yes we don’t like losing but in any sport players are rested for bigger games ahead.

DevilDom

I’m torn on the approach to the last 2 games. Sunday a full house to watch us be crowned league champions against one of our biggest rivals and we only really started trying at 3-0 down. Last night for me was a shambles, frustrating and boring to watch after (like many) rushing to get there after work. Fortunately I don’t travel as far as some. However, I agree that Lord should take the opportunity to rest players where he can, especially if they are carrying niggles. Problem was that of those that did play only around half seemed to be trying. I felt sorry for those guys, especially the likes of Murdy, Rutkis, Batch and Piggot who had plenty of ice time. Thought Lord should have played himself so he can keep his eye in incase needed in the playoffs.

I’m not bothered one bit about the scoreline but I didn’t find it entertaining more frustrating to watch. Momentum and confidence in sport is a funny thing, it can’t just be turned on and off. We have also given 2 of potentially our biggest playoff rivals confidence by letting them turn us over at home.

Kevlar68

I actually enjoyed the game even though we lost, much better than Sheffield game.
In the Q & A before game I think you knew it wasn't going to be all out to win as Todd mentioned about resting players and not wanting any injuries before playoffs which you can understand.