Devils v Steelers - Sun 18 Mar 2018 - League - FO 6pm - Chat/Updates

Think there maybe a celebration hangover.
Not that I can blame them as such but a lack lustre first period Steelers want this way more than us.
But can someone please hammer Roy, dislike a lot of Steelers players but he is right at the top.

august04

After 2 awful periods, the most pertinent stat to publish for the Devils tonight would be their breathalyser test results! Someone crack open the Red Bull please in the final period break!

ASHIPP

Unfortunately the Steelers went home thinking they were world beaters because our team played badly for two periods. Bownsey kept the score respectable but at the other end, only 3 SOG for p1? The Steelers were so dominant in the offensive zone they looked permenantly on the pp!

Then, for the last 10 minutes of p3, normal Cardiff Devils' service was resumed - dominant in the offensive zone, good passing, winning board battles.

Mentally and physically, the Belfast game must have been draining. A mixture of elation and relief.
Hopefully back to normal on Wednesday.

Doesn't detract from the joy of seeing our beloved team enjoying their thoroughly deserved title presentations. Great moments to remember.

Last edited:

august04

Unfortunately the Steelers went home thinking they were world beaters because our team played badly for two periods. Bownsey kept the score respectable but at the other end, only 3 SOG for p1? The Steelers were so dominant in the offensive zone they looked permenantly on the pp!

Then, for the last 10 minutes of p3, normal Cardiff Devils' service was resumed - dominant in the offensive zone, good passing, winning board battles.

Am sure mentally and physically, the Belfast game must have been draining.
Hopefully back to normal on Wednesday.

Doesn't detract from the joy of seeing our beloved team enjoying their thoroughly deserved title presentations.
That performance had nothing to do with the Belfast game being physically and mentally draining but everything to do with the post match celebrations being physically draining/hungover, whatever you want to call it. I have to be honest, for the first two periods tonight, I sat there fuming at what I was watching given the fact that 3000 people had paid their hard earned cash to watch a team who still looked pissed! The third period was better though, at least we made a game of it. I can understand the celebrations on Friday but I wish they could have taken it a little easier then and gone for it after the game tonight - didn’t help that it was the Steelers in town either, hate losing to them.

Last edited:

Rich Best

That performance had nothing to do with the Belfast game being physically and mentally draining but everything to do with the post match celebrations being physically draining/hungover, whatever you want to call it. I have to be honest, for the first two periods tonight, I sat there fuming at what I was watching given the fact that 3000 people had paid their hard cash to watch a team who still looked pissed! The third period was better though, at least we made a game of it. I can understand the celebrations on Friday but I wish they could have taken it a little easier then and gone for it after the game tonight - didn’t help that it was the Steelers in town either, hate losing to them.
Are you serious??!!

Hedd Wyn John

Things were poor in the first period, ok in the 2nd but in fairness the Devils came back strong in the 3rd. A few of the refs decisions didn’t help either. Having said all that I think it was evident that the Devils weren’t 100% during that game.

I came to the game, knowing we might lose after the victory giants and did I care? Nope! All I cared about was the trophy celebration in front of the Steelers, I didn't care about the scoreline, it would have meant nothing to me, win, lose or draw, but we still attended to show our support, because we could. The fact that a few fans didn't stay post match didn't bother me either for like has already been mentioned, maybe the said people had to leave for their own personal reasons, but the same said people came to the 'nothing to gain' game in this crappy weather to show their support and loyalty for a nothing game. surely this must count for something?

Wannabe2

I came to the game, knowing we might lose after the victory giants and did I care? Nope! All I cared about was the trophy celebration in front of the Steelers, I didn't care about the scoreline, it would have meant nothing to me, win, lose or draw, but we still attended to show our support, because we could. The fact that a few fans didn't stay post match didn't bother me either for like has already been mentioned, maybe the said people had to leave for their own personal reasons, but the same said people came to the 'nothing to gain' game in this crappy weather to show their support and loyalty for a nothing game. surely this must count for something?
Very well said, people came out to support our team surely that’s all that matters, anyway let’s not get away from the amazing accomplishment of our awesome team. We came we saw we conquered
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS

Milky

Yes. I wouldn’t have posted it if I wasn’t.
Then maybe I suggest if you’re still unhappy with the fact we’ve won the league and the guys may have celebrated a bit too much and not been at 100% tonight, then take you ‘hard earning cash’ and go and fume elsewhere.

We’ve just won the league!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
There hasn't been much mentioned about how Lordo was juggling the defensive lines which as the league has been won, I thought he was perfectly entitled to do.

I liken it to this:
Lordo construction with his team of builders just came to do a job on my kitchen.
Not only did they do a better job than any team of builders in all Britain and Ireland but they worked so hard that they finished early.
Now if they want to drink some tea and read the newspaper a bit as the job is winding down that's fine with me.

august04

Then maybe I suggest if you’re still unhappy with the fact we’ve won the league and the guys may have celebrated a bit too much and not been at 100% tonight, then take you ‘hard earning cash’ and go and fume elsewhere.

We’ve just won the league!!!
I see another keyboard warrior has come out to play! Thanks for the advice.

Last edited by a moderator:

James

Administrator
Can we play nice please :D We just won the conference

Devils clearly had a bit of a winners hangover and only really bothered playing for the last period (ish) preferring to take it to the blue line and dumping it for a line change than actually setting up an attack. Despite that fact we almost equalised late on when we were trying. I suspect if we'd been motivated, and with Day in nets it would have been a cricket score in our favour. Steelers still really don't look very good.

Finny

Can we play nice please :D We just won the conference

Devils clearly had a bit of a winners hangover and only really bothered playing for the last period (ish) preferring to take it to the blue line and dumping it for a line change than actually setting up an attack. Despite that fact we almost equalised late on when we were trying. I suspect if we'd been motivated, and with Day in nets it would have been a cricket score in our favour. Steelers still really don't look very good.
Agreed. We were so poor in that first period I was amazed we were only 2-0 down. If it had been Belfast or even Nottingham it would have been 5-0 or 6-0 by the time we actually started playing our usual hockey.
In the end though, we could easily have got something out of it. Brad Day made a couple of huge saves and got a deserved MOTM. It shows how poor this Sheffield team is at the moment that we could effectively only play for 15 minutes and still nearly win.

Rob Batch

Hellarious ! First p was rather funny. Second picked up after the third goal. At this point we decided to play properly, what a difference. Slightly frustrating for fans but the serious hard work had been done. Amazing achievement over a very long season, and it's not over yet! I imagine our next 3 home games might be frustrating for fans again as we can use those games as preparation for the last piece of silverware!! Go Devils !!!!

Wannabe2

Hellarious ! First p was rather funny. Second picked up after the third goal. At this point we decided to play properly, what a difference. Slightly frustrating for fans but the serious hard work had been done. Amazing achievement over a very long season, and it's not over yet! I imagine our next 3 home games might be frustrating for fans again as we can use those games as preparation for the last piece of silverware!! Go Devils !!!!
There’s only one preparation for the play offs, and that’s winning, now we have won the toughest title to win under our belt, it’s back to business as usual. A winning team is a confident team, they go hand in hand, fortunately this team is capable of beating anyone when it’s on song, and we have done just that throughout the season. Everyone knows the play offs can be a bit of a lottery, make the final four and anything is possible, if the best team in the league won it, then it’s a forgone conclusion, it’s coming home,but it don’t work that way. We were the best team in the league last year, but lost it to a far inferior team. Anyway this present team I think is far better prepared to bring that final trophy home, so come on lads let’s do this.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS

Kevlar68

I spoke to few people and we thought it looked like a exhibition match. I'm fine with that, they did the job they had to do which was win the league which brings with it the CHL and good on them if they went out and partied hard well in to Saturday, they deserved to.
I think also its difficult to get yourself up for a game that really has no value on it apart from defeating the Steelers.

I think for the next three games they will focus on preparing for each of those games as if it was the playoffs.
You would have a different strategy for the league as its over so many games and such a long time.
Winning the next 3 games is the focus now to go in to the play offs with a strong winning mentality.

Gough60

Shame we couldn't turn Squeelers over last Sunday as it would (though still could) be an interesting fight for 3rd to 7th with Panties, Squeelers & Giants possibly having quite a tough 1/4 final game in the playoffs.

Temme

Joey Martin made a healthy scratch is all we needed to know going into the game.
I was very surprised Bowns started this one in all honesty.

No harm in having a lull after winning the league and conference, as long as we pick it back up to keep momentum going for PO.