Devils v Steelers - Wed 14 Mar 2018 - League - FO 7:30 - Chat/Updates

Kevlar68

I think i read somewhere it was a re-scheduled game so maybe people had already made plans or just Wed is difficult with work and kids with school and a late face off time of 7.30pm

Devil_Abroad

It’s bugged me all year. On many occasions, we haven’t even reacted to it - at least we did last night. We`re never proactive in the physicality stakes and that’s the number one area that I hope we address in the off season. Ronnberg was throwing his weight around all night and I’m glad Batch took it to him right at the end but it took far too long to sort him out. And anyone who as much breathes on Bowns should be dealt with there and then, and not by the likes of Ulmer!
Watching the full game on Icetime TV I tend to agree with the commentators.

It was Ulmer’s stick that touched Bowns as Roy tried to avoid him with Ulmer trying to grab him.

Hotham slipped into the boards and the footage shows Fitzgerald checking high into the boards missing Hotham completely.

The check on Richardson was a shoulder hit though his head did make contact with the plexi

The game seemed to have the intensity of play off hockey which is normal at this tie of year with teams gearing up and wanting to make a statement.

Steelers also had plenty of chances with Bowns pulling off a number of top saves at important times. I don’t think Steelers are as bad as people think; they’re not as deep as us but they are still a quality side but badly coached.

As for physicality, I still think we play physical, you can’t not play physical in this league or you’ll find yourselves not only being thumped but also suffering injuries. As it happens, though of course Devils keep injuries to players quiet, we seem to have avoided too many this season.

What I think people want when they say ‘play physical’ is fighting, pasting the opposition with fists. I may be wrong however it isn’t what I want to see. I’d rather see a physical hard fought full of pace end to end hockey with great skill and quality netminding; not to mention wins and championships.

Right now I’m very very happy.

Just my thoughts.......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kevlar68

Less fights, less penalties = more trophies!

Would prefer to keep winning trophies than see fights, if it was a choice between the two!
I part agree but look at the CC Final, we tried to concede less penalties and stay at full strength with strongest players but it didn't work. I still like having a enforcer to intimidate the the smaller more skilful players to put them off their game.
Martinelli did a job on us in that game and Belfast won.

Rich Best

Good point Kevlar. In the CC final, I definitely think we could have been more physical. The guys just seemed to go into the game with complacency. If we had played like we did against Steelers on Wednesday, we would not have stood for the antics from the likes of Martinelli and Connolly - and I expect we will see a very fired up Devils tonight.

When we want to, we do play physical in my opinion. But we are not a 'physical team' (we react rather than bring it). As much as I love to see big hits and fights and see us dominate teams physically like we did in the BBT - I have to say I have grown to love our new style of hockey, and especially the fact that it has put us in contention for every single trophy for the last 4 years!

Panthers have had one of the toughest enforcers this year (Gangam style) - and look where they are!

Kevlar68

I also enjoy the sport for its speed and skill not for the fights and hits. Ok, just one enforcer then so we can throw him on at certain points in games, please. :)

E.D.S.

I also enjoy the sport for its speed and skill not for the fights and hits. Ok, just one enforcer then so we can throw him on at certain points in games, please. :)
We do look lightweight at times and some of the decisions to not make a stand are puzzling but I guess trophies top trumps everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk