Devils v Giants - Sun 4 Mar 2018 - Challege Cup Final - FO 6pm - Chat/Udates

Pope#42

I agree with many of the points that have already been made - the Giants played a great road game and thoroughly deserved the win last night. As others have said, they had a game plan and they executed it very well.

As for the Devils, I know some would disagree but I thought the first period was great and I thought it was a tough one to call as to how the game would pan out. However, for some reason the second and third period let us down and nothing seemed to work. I thought Batch was having a great game so I too would have liked to have seen all four lines rolled out - it’s worked well throughout the season so it’s frustrating when the game plan is altered and the bench gets shortened. The stand out for me was Fournier - played well defensively and never gave up trying to create an opportunity.

I hope that we can use last night to our advantage and learn from it. The boys must have really felt it in the changing rooms having to listen to the Giants (deservedly) celebrating their win. Lord is a hockey geek and I have no doubt that he will be re-watching the video of last night’s game over and over again to see what went wrong and how we can learn from it as we could very well meet the Giants again during the play offs. We still have a lot of hockey to play and whilst the CC would have been great it just wasn’t meant to be.

I note that the highlights are up (I’m not quite ready to watch them yet!) but haven’t seen the usual Lord interview. Does anyone know if he did one last night?

Gazza272

I note that the highlights are up (I’m not quite ready to watch them yet!) but haven’t seen the usual Lord interview. Does anyone know if he did one last night?
Lord spoke to Terry Phillips after the game and his views are available via Dai Sport.

much like last year the IceTIme production focussed on the winning team so the resources went into getting as many Giants interviews as possible.

jimmy snels

I haven't read anywhere that the intro was the main issue, all i've read was it would have helped fuel Belfast and it was a bit OTT with "Slay Giants". No one has said we lost because of the intro.
And to say team and coach were inept is crazy. So you mean they were showing no skills and amateur which means your also saying Belfast won only because we were terrible and not because of the fact that Belfast played brilliantly.

I never said amateur but i stand by we again made poor coaching decisions to shorten a bench in a final and were out muscled and out fought.

Seems like a lot of people say the same on here. We must all be crazy.

jimmy snels

Any chance you might actually want to offer an opinion on the game or are you here to just tell people they are wrong and side track with happy clappy posts?

Kevlar68

Any chance you might actually want to offer an opinion on the game or are you here to just tell people they are wrong and side track with happy clappy posts?
I haven't anywhere in any of my post said anyone is wrong, i have given an opinion, never said "your wrong". Everyone is allowed a opinion which is what i have given. You used the word "inept" about the team and coach and that word is your opinion but they were far from inept and that is my opinion.

As for the game i gave my opinion, Its history, it is what it is, lets look to the future and win the league and your welcome.

And finally as for side tracking with happy clappy posts.............WHY SO SERIOUS? ;)

Last edited:

august04

Lord spoke to Terry Phillips after the game and his views are available via Dai Sport.

much like last year the IceTIme production focussed on the winning team so the resources went into getting as many Giants interviews as possible.
Very surprised at the lack of reaction from within the Devils camp through Icetimetv, particularly with no Lord interview.

Kevlar68

Look, i'll be serious, do you think the team right now, a team that is pushing to win the most important competition don't forget need us as fans beating them relentlessly when they're heads are down? If they do read this forum every negative response and name calling could be just more weight to carry on their shoulders. Its time for back slapping and "Get a grip, your better than that display". We should be lifting them not weighing them down.
That's my opinion.

kingmo19.1

Look, i'll be serious, do you think the team right now, a team that is pushing to win the most important competition don't forget need us as fans beating them relentlessly when they're heads are down? If they do read this forum every negative response and name calling could be just more weight to carry on their shoulders. Its time for back slapping and "Get a grip, your better than that display". We should be lifting them not weighing them down.
That's my opinion.
Mmmm ... slight over reaction! ... Do you really, really, really think those seasoned pro's with many years of experience filled with ups and downs will be sitting at home picking through the threads on this forum then hanging on the word of every fan with an opinion! No, me neither. They know the score - been there and done it. Your fan opinion, mine and everyone else who is on here is pretty much worthless.
They may take a look now and again but it doesn't cut any mustard.

God forbid, if they were that fickle Mr Wacey Rabbit (remember him?) would have retired long ago !!!!

Kevlar68

Mmmm ... slight over reaction! ... Do you really, really, really think those seasoned pro's with many years of experience filled with ups and downs will be sitting at home picking through the threads on this forum then hanging on the word of every fan with an opinion! No, me neither. They know the score - been there and done it. Your fan opinion, mine and everyone else who is on here is pretty much worthless.
They may take a look now and again but it doesn't cut any mustard.

God forbid, if they were that fickle Mr Wacey Rabbit (remember him?) would have retired long ago !!!!
Not a over reaction at all, its my opinion, its a over reaction to you as you are not of my opinion.

No i do not think they would look through every thread/post but i bet they do read the forums and each person is different mentally, seasoned pros or not. If all seasoned pros were mentally strong why do so many teams have psychologists for emotional behaviour? The loss of final could effect players and leave them with doubts about their play. Anything on here could then add to that doubt. So If everyone's opinion on here is worthless to the players are you saying the players don't listen to fans? That's a big statement, you may as well be saying the fans don't matter.
What i was trying to put over was the league is still ours to lose so lets get positive about it as the cup final has been and gone, we lost. That's history, can't change it, move on, cause that's what the players have to do.

Last edited:

jimmy snels

You still havent offered an opinion on the game though? If you started a get behind the team thread id get it but to me your literally disagreeing with the majority and offering no actual responce as to how the game went!!

Kevlar68

You still havent offered an opinion on the game though? If you started a get behind the team thread id get it but to me your literally disagreeing with the majority and offering no actual responce as to how the game went!!
Will my opinion of the game change the result? No.
But if you insist. My opinion is physicality won the game. It seemed as though we were trying not to concede any penalties to keep all players on the ice and let Belfast self destruct by getting penalty calls but the calls didn't come. I saw hit after hit after hit from Belfast on and off the puck and very little from Devils. The Devils are by far the most skilful side when they get into their stride but after the first period they weren't even allowed to get out of the blocks. Belfast tactics worked, they didn't allow us to play and we lost allot of 50/50 plays for the puck due to being out muscled. You can still be a good team but if the opposing team takes the way you play away from you what can you do?
One supporter in the bar after the first period said to me "They (Belfast) put in so many hits in the that period they'll be knackered now in second and we can out play them"
Martinelli got under the skin of every Devils player he hit which shows he did his job, he knocked them off their game.
As for individual players to hit 100% playing ability ever single game of every competition that ain't going to happen.
I do not believe that one of our players went i to that game with the intent of not wanting to give 100%.
And there you have my opinion on the game.
Now someone can disagree with me and everybody's happy :D

Last edited:

Gazza272

Very surprised at the lack of reaction from within the Devils camp through Icetimetv, particularly with no Lord interview.

As I say, last year we didn't get the Steelers reactions, so in terms of finals we were consistent. Should we do it again next year we will certainly review it.

ASHIPP

Should imagine they are devastated. Especially after all the hype (home advantage, retaining the cup etc) and sky high expectation from the club and the fans.
It almost set up for a fall - while there was lower key build up from the Giants and their fans in the few days before.

It hurts.....now we have some understanding how Steelers and their fans felt losing two CC finals to us.

Last edited:

Gazza272

Should imagine they are devastated, possibly even embarrassed. Especially after all the hype (home advantage, retaining the cup etc) and sky high expectation from the club and the fans.
It almost set up for a fall - while there was lower key build up from the Giants and their fans in the few days before.

It hurts.....now we have some understanding how Steelers and their fans felt losing two CC finals to us.

I need to make this very clear, and apologies ASHIPP if i'm misreading the tone or inference of your post. No one refused to talk, or be interviewed or anything of the sort. We just put all our resources into doing the right thing to ensure the Giants were well represented as Champions.

Lord came out to speak to other media as normal.

I need to make this very clear, and apologies ASHIPP if i'm misreading the tone or inference of your post. No one refused to talk, or be interviewed or anything of the sort. We just put all our resources into doing the right thing to ensure the Giants were well represented as Champions.

Just to reiterate what Gaz is saying here. Lord has never refused an interview when asked regardless of result.

It's quite normal in championship games to interview the winners on the ice/field etc. It was a long while after the end of the game that we wrapped up the programme.

I'm scheduled for an audio interview with Lord today which will be release through the Devils website etc.

Hope that helps.

Aled :)

backrow

I believe that the Devils' real strength is in the depth of their lineup, so I'm not a big fan of shortening the bench and overplaying certain individuals. I'd much rather see players give 110% for 30 to 40 seconds and change quickly.
We've seen this strategy have negative results in individual games and over a period of time in the past few seasons.

ASHIPP

Absolutely what was expected - Giants deserved the focus for being worthy champions. And fantastic reportage as usual.

I was trying to say (albeit awkwardly!) that it's completely understandable that club, team (and fans) are hurting and disappointed so they may have wanted time to compose and settle before facing the media. We know Lordo has never sherked this responsibility no matter how painful.