Devils v Giants - Sun 4 Mar 2018 - Challege Cup Final - FO 6pm - Chat/Udates

It's incredible that you so called fans start pointing fingers at individual players when the team loses. Joey Martin gets blamed ? Andrew Hotham had too many giveaways, Bowns should have had one or 2 goals back. Tell me where would those players be without those 3 over the last 4 years ? Here are the facts tonight, no forecheck, were outworked, forwards were stagnant , too many giveaways, BY EVERYONE, forwards standing still, defence couldn't make a pass because there was no one to give it to, the Devils lost all the battles and clearly the Giants were the better team. Tell me one guy who played well tonight ? You can't because no one did and that happens. The Devils won the first period on the score only, because the Giants were the better team in the first as well. They played a full 60 minute game and the Devils had no response. It happens. Then there are fans who blame the loss on lack of toughness yet they've lost 9 games during the season. No one touched a soul tonight, forwards didn't finish checks, all the defence sticked checked and never hit a Giant, which is a bad habit they have. That's up to the coaching staff to recognize that as the game is being played and change it. Funny too that if Martin or Hotham get 2 or 3 points in a game no one says shite, but when they don't play up to their standards you blame them for the loss. There were many players that just didn't show up tonight and I could name a boat load of them but you guys name the obvious . Quit blaming individuals for losses. The bottom line is the team lost, and deservedly so , not just 2 or 3 players. So instead of ripping your own players, the ones who are the heart and soul of your team, tip your hat to the winners because the Giants were the better team, TODAY[/QUO

Well said that man, we,re still the best team in the league and gonna win it so why don,t you so called Devils fans who don,t say nothing when they win but are quick enough jump on the bandwagon when they lose to slag off the team and individual players [edit] Rule #7 still applies to you... [/Edit]

Last edited by a moderator:

Kevlar68

We can't change the result, it is what it is. So just move on, lets get back behind our team and secure the league.

Whoever devised our intro should be ashamed. I was really pumped up and even emotional right up until "slay giants" part, at this point I cringed. Absolutely disrespectful to Belfast.

Last edited:

Mooney#16

You win some, you lose some. That's what makes winning so good.

Whilst it's disappointing Devils didn't get the silver it is worth keeping perspective. Belfast are a good team and congratulations to them on the win but let's be honest that's a club that has seriously unacheived for years and needed that trophy. But they aren't some hockey masterclass and Keefe isn't a patch on Lordo right now. They started the season with as much chance of winning the league as anyone and they blew it by there own significant faults. Lordo and the players have trailblazed this league for last 4 years virtually and deserve a greater respect than being classed as below Giants after one final loss.

I hope this does give Devils a bit of a rocket and make them ensure they seal that league title as like said it not done yet. Devils are where they are in the league by there skill and hard work. Don't take it for granted. The players have earned their league position. Take the upset of tonight and Put it into getting the team over the finish line and proving to Giants they may have won the CC but they are still along way short of being the team to get the big prize. This team has played a lot of hockey this year. This season is so much harder in reality and Devils sitting top with 8 to go is a phenomenal achievement coupled with the CHL campaign and reaching first available final. There isn't a lot needs fixing to be honest. And let's face it the CC is old news. Only trophy Lordo hasn't won is the Play offs so if we can get that as well. That'll be the full house within four seasons. Amazing. Get behind the team and make it happen.

Sliput

The Giants were the better team tonight. Keefe is a rookie coach who has modelled a team on his style of play. He did his homework on the Devils. The Giants played on our strengths and they won . We had a rookie coach who did exactly the same thing. Yes it's cr@p that we lost but these things happen, still a couple more things to go out and win.

As for the intro, playing Walser skating off , in my opinion, backfired. I normally love the intros but this one fell flat.
I agree that intros didn't lose us the game but i just thought it didn't help either.

I am gutted we lost BUT onwards and upwards. I am sure the players are feeling it a lot more than we are. At least we didn't lose to Sheffield :) :)

E.D.S.

Ok. The Devils were out coached today in the sense that the Giants worked out exactly how the Devils play. They then turned it around and did it better than us. Adam Keefe is using the Devils prototype in his first season as a way to win.
Thanks GazG just curious what “out coached” meant to you as it means different things to different people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wagstaff

Giants were a long way in front of us tonight. Keefe knew what had to be done, and how they needed to play and they did it to a tee. Although I think the intro videos are great, tonight's was a bit OTT right at the end 'We slay giants' .....for the Giants players stood on the blue line watching the video and seeing that....probably gave them that extra little bit of motivation, if ever they needed it. Seemed like it was a done deal and the Devils though they only needed to turn up. Players need to step up and step in, we need to rebuild our reputation....opposing teams need to know what we are not only a team with a winning mentality and an ethos of " you score four and we'll score five" but also one that doesn't allow our players to get pushed around....going back to the intro video......it said we 'go to war', tonight we took our knives to a gunfight, once again.
I wasn’t there but isn’t the arena supposed to be a neutral venue for a final, did they show an intro video for the giants too?

Rich Best

The intro video was excellent and had we won we would have all been speaking about it very differently. If anything, it will/should have revved up our team not theirs.

Yesterday was disappointing and we need to let it be our motivation to go on and win league and conference (huge achievement again) and roll into the playoffs in great form full of focus and confidence. Hopefully we can meet Giants in the playoff final and put one over on them!

Foxy

Disappointed with the team. A lot of our players just didn’t turn up. Not going to name names. They should know who they are but it certainly wasn’t a TEAM performance.

Atmosphere from devils fans was flat but we have to believe from what we are watching that the chance of a win is there. Unfortunately even though we got our noses ahead Belfast always looked the better and hungrier team.

Congratulations to Belfast but Devils now have to prove themselves and get the league win. Nothing is a given they have to earn it still.

mweller

Yeah, agree with Mooney, keep it in perspective. I think momentum in the game was pretty evenly split 30 mins apiece but the Giants did way more with it (maybe momentum is the real 7th man). In a one off game that they throw everything at, the Giants style can always get results, but I don't think it'll get you the league. That's why doing the double or treble is so difficult.
They definitely wanted it more tonight, just as we did in Sheffield that first time. But also, a couple of bounces might have made a difference, that shot that came out from the post at the end of the 1st and Pope's double chance - I think a two goal lead would have led to the Devils dominating. But as it was, when the Giants got their second all the belief transferred to them, and we just couldn't wrestle it back. That's sport, we don't have a right to win anything.
(and Martin worked his socks off btw, endlessly digging it out and trying to get something going)

Koop11

Best team won. Credit to Belfast, thoroughly deserved to lift the CC. After a controlled first period from us, we were then second to everything thereafter. Belfast out worked us and took their changes well. Their third period game management was spot on.

I’m not sure why everyone is harping on about the intro. That has no baring whatsoever on the game. Most, if not all the players don’t even take notice of intros. Belfast had more than enough motivation to win the game well before anyone hit the ice. I’m not sure how fans feel is was disrespectful. Skating around during a national anthem is disrespectful.

In the bigger picture it’s not a bad thing that Belfast picked up silverware. As one of the ‘big teams’ in this league, they entered this final on a 4 year trophy drought. This league is hugely competitive and it’s good to spread the wealth. Fife, Manchester and Guilford all making great accounts of themselves is great to see also.

Focus is back on the league. 7 points needed I believe. Lets go get em.

jimmy snels

Crowd was very good until they realised how poor we were playing. The place was rocking before a player even stepped on the ice. Then we got to see our team bashed about, take countless unanswered cheap shots and get out hit around our barn. Im not suprised it tailed off after the first.
Im not going to talk any more about the team as its been said but some of those individual errors were appalling.

If i was josh batch i would move on at the end of the season. Im starting to wonder if he had a canadian accent if it would help him. In a game like that where we needed a lift surely binning off your 4th line big man is ridiculous? And watching the defensive display of a couple of them I'm staggered he wasnt asked to replace one.