Devils v Steelers - Wed 7 Feb 2018 - C Cup Semi Final 2nd Leg

Finny

Noticed a couple of weeks back that Belfast have a game scheduled at home (v MK) the night before the Cup final.

Thought it was strange at the time and I wonder if they will try and re-arrange that now. If not then it will be a tough ask for their fans to watch a game Sat night and get to Cardiff for Sun afternoon.

Jones72

Quiz time....fill in the blanks

Snow White and ___ Dwarfs
___ days of the week
___ Deadly Sins
The Magnificent ___
Cardiff Devils ___ - Sheffield Steelers 1

Bonus point if you can work out the connection....
Another quiz...

What have all these got in common?

10mm spanner
12mm spanner
16mm spanner
25mm spanner
Paul Thompson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have Hope#35

seem to remember Squealers were in same boat last year by having a game night before.
Think EIHL told them tough titty.
There's a time frame in which it can't be re-arranged... can't recall what it was! 3 weeks before the fixture comes to mind, it all came about after #OneDirectionGate

terry hunt

tried to wish Thommo a safe trip home last night all I got was sasrcastic yeah yeah, what a horrible individual, he will be getting both barrels when he returns for the league game, horrible man in my opinion
Probably thought you were taking the P**s.
Were you you cruel sod.?

ASHIPP

Simms cut a lonely figure watching up on the gantry last night - he'd already been ignored by the Steelers players when he was hovering around their bench. He's got front coming to the IAW. Disgusting that the guy is still attached to that Club, can't see what useful role he fulfills....but then the culture there seems so toxic and lacking in moral compass to an outsider.

Whoever wrote the article for the Sheffield regional newspaper last week entitled 'Steelers with one foot in the Cup Final' is looking a bit daft today.

terry hunt

I was thinking why Thommo would stop at Mermaid Quay on the way back.
1 Throw some of his players in the bay.
2 Throw himself in the bay
3 Escape from those awful Devils fans chasing him wanting his autograph
4 Plotting a terrible revenge on the Devils(checking a box set of game of thrones for ideas)
He wont forget last night heads will roll especially Steelers players

youngbob

Two ladies sat next to us - their first ever game!
Think they'll be back....

Fantastic performance, must be one of the best I've seen in 25 years

Gospel

Wow hats off to every single Devils player last night, they were OUTSTANDING! I never thought they would do it given the run Shuff have been on (leaving out the Storm result) but from the moment the intro video started things just got better and better.

Have to say that in all of the excellent performances last night Matthew Myers was awesome. Into the dirty areas time and time again, pushed, shoved, whacked and just couldn't and wouldn't be moved. Ulmer in the face offs as well, superb.

I don't know Paul Sullivan, never met him or spoken to him and haven't always agreed with his views and opinions on matters but bloody hell can he put a video together! Congratulations are well deserved.

As for Shuff, I expected a lot more from them if im honest. I thought when we got the score to 3-1 I thought they would come out and bang bodies, play dirty, cheap shots (the norm really) but they did nothing. Most looked dis-interested at that point and Thompson didn't seem to do anything. Very unlike them and there only chance of silverware is now the playoffs, if they make it!

As we were leaving I heard a Sheffield fan say "that was a really close game". My initial reaction was that the force of the constant attack waves had somehow cause him a concussion.

In reflection, it made me consider just how many immense saves Bownsy actually did. What a solid performance from a keeper who performs well above what many do whilst under pressure.

All round solid game from the boys, each one of them played hard on the forcheck and showed immense determination through out. Fitness levels were outstanding and the quality of some of the moves were close to that of an NHL standard at times.

It looked like the devils were growing in confidence with the solid performance of the crowd and at time they themselves enjoyed playing in that game.

Congrats to everyone, supporters included, for an all around inspiring game of hockey.

Devil94

Amazing, Devils 7 Steelers 1, and not one point for either, Hotham or Martin, a whole team proformance.
Wow, hadn't noticed that. That's incredible.

Was going to mention some players individual performances, but every single one of them was 10/10 last night. We have seem glimpses of what this team can do all year, but not for a whole 60 minutes. Last night we did and they pulled out arguably the best performance in Devils history.

Last edited:

Slartibartfast

Lord often talks about how many leaders we have and last night we really saw how blessed we are.

We all know Andrew Hotham is a great player but some of the moves he pulled last night were unreal. Same for Joey Martin. Then you have Bentivoglio who normally looks like he is turbo charged going even faster. Ulmer with his amazing hockey IQ, Faryna with his tenacity, Asselin performing his miracles from behind the net, Myers crashing and banging with this relentless work ethic. At the back Strachans composure shone once again, Fournier charges frightened the Steelers, Paris had a great game, Reddick using his speed, Joey Haddad dominating the corners and most of the O zone. And all of them were hungry for the win.

Some might say Steelers were poor but I think its more a case of being shell shocked. How would any team deal with all that coming at them in wave after wave. Best performance I have seen in 28 years of watching the Devils.

Paul Sullivan

Last night actually marked a turning point in my views on atmosphere. I've always been a bit 'chicken and egg' about whether great crowd support creates great play, or vice versa. Team come out hard, we support them, etc etc.

Not any more. We simply have to find a way to get going early, every game, and that's down to us, I now firmly believe. You always read Coaches and players talking about feeding off the crowd but by God, was that true last night. I was at the rink early by usual standards, and there was an incredible, positive vibe everywhere, and through everyone I spoke to. It was weird, a calmness in the face of real adversity that you don't see often.

Every single one of our big game players showed up on the same night. The cohesion, the support, the teamwork - it was a complete performance and, other than the fact the 2006 game was for the trophy, eclipsed that epic night in the WNIR for me.

What I love is that while some Clubs have played down the CC in the past - like some Premiership teams with the FA Cup - we have always made a point that it means a lot to us. After our recent past, nothing will ever trump the feeling of the 2015 CC final win in Sheffield for me - it was a perfect day - but occasions like last night take decades to come around for most Clubs. I agree with what JD has already said online - last night in the third it truly felt like being back in 93 or 94 when we were in our original pomp.

This is a special time to be a Devil and seeing the entire fanbase, organisation, volunteers, everyone - 100% united for the last few years is a joy that I cannot adequately express.

We are the envy of the League, and I hope we all manage to take a pause once in a while, and drink it in. Nothing is perfect, but the feelings I had leaving the arena last night were pretty damn close.

Well done, Red Army. That was an incredible performance by our 6th man.

Foxy

Come on guys where’s my highlights. In St Lucia and everyone around the pool thinks I’m mad watching mnl on my iPad last night. Might have got a little excited lol

First of all, what a magnificent performance last night from the team, starting with Bowns , the D played really well and Paris actually had a good game also!

I don't want to upset anyone but I was a bit disappointed with how some of the Devils fans were banging on the plexi of the away bench at the end of the game. We need to learn to win with dignity, it reminded me of childish behaviour, we need to win with class and lose with class. Fair play to the security being there as they were prepared for it! We should respect the professionals for who they are, we complain about Matt Nickerson's actions but when you have just thrown away probably your biggest chance of a trophy and you have fans there taunting you no wonder players get upset and emotions spill over.

Just an opinion that we need to act like champions as well as playing like it.

Koop11

Last night was nothing shy of incredible. What a night. Remembered in Devils’ history forever.

Praise the Lord and all who rein under him.