Steelers V Devils - Wed 31 Jan 2018 - C Cup Semi Final 1st Leg - FO 7:30 - Chat/Updates

Rich Best

Thank you! I was just mentioning that final to some friends. It is SOOO much sweeter when people write you off and you overturned the odds! You remember games like that forever. Still have a photo of the celebrations on my office wall.

Stay positive folks.

jimmy snels

Awful result. We need to score twice early doors now next weds to even stand a chance of sowing the seeds of doubt.

We've been pretty crap last 3 games, won 2 lost 1. Back to the high standards lads!!

Rich Best

We’ve been been humiliated 6-2 with what sounds like a very bad performance. There are absolutely no positives to take from that. The pressure is on considering the final is in IAW so lots of tickets will need to be refunded for the final. How you can take positives from that loss is mind blowing.
I would prefer to believe the guys will turn this round. It is a choice to be positive or negative. If we think we have lost why even show up for the second leg?! I can't wait should be a cracker. We are gonna be so up for it!

Wasn't our best performance tonight but we had very good chances, hit the post 3 times and moose was outstanding. Maybe we'll get the luck next week...

kingmo19.1

I would prefer to believe the guys will turn this round. It is a choice to be positive or negative. If we think we have lost why even show up for the second leg?! I can't wait should be a cracker. We are gonna be so up for it!

Wasn't our best performance tonight but we had very good chances, hit the post 3 times and moose was outstanding. Maybe we'll get the luck next week...
That's the spirit! ... Ok, we're 4-0 down, but there is another leg to play! .... Couple of quick goals and it's game on!

Had they scored another one then I'd be doubtful, but this is not impossible.

Gospel

A result like this has been coming, our performances the last couple of weeks have been poor apart from a couple of good periods. Only saving grace is that was a cup game & not the league.

There is a big difference between this Steelers side & the Chavs side we beat a few years ago, far more quality.

The performances of the Devils against the current form of the Steelers and Giants doesnt bode well.

With the recent showings the result is not totally surprising. They've been trending this way for a couple of weeks. Can they come back, sure but it's a tough climb. Surprising the emotional roller coaster some of you posters get on here and glad that the players aren't on that bandwagon . Sometimes loses are good because it gets your head back on straight and let's face it, they haven't played well the last 2 weeks. Work ethic and the physical forecheck are missing and not good enough at the moment . Some other things wrong at the moment as well but no use piling on. When you have a loss like this it gives you a attitude and reality check and I expect a different team next week .

Rob Batch

I can see that re-signing Ronnberg would re-energise the Steelers, the result against Belfast tells a story. I thought tonight's game was more about the bounce of the puck than anything else. This team has enough quality to overcome this setback. The CC belongs in Cardiff !!!

Last edited:

august04

This has been coming for weeks. We’ve lacked any real intensity/quality since the Guildford league/cup series, then you play an inform Steelers with a hot goalie and the CC being their most realistic chance of silverware. Not really surprised to be honest and we'd better get off to a flier in the second leg or we're out. Simply not good enough tonight but hopefully a wake up call.

BostonBart22

Missed fournier big time i thought, it was awful to watch tbh lewis was having a mare b4 getting injured, paris to step up big time , unless we get our heads screwed on v belfast i can see 2 heavy defeats, the only thing in our favour i suppose is regular wins if it comes down to level pegging on points but the way devils are playing that could change sooner than later....one good thing from last night SPURS beat the mancs.

I must of been watching a different game to most as I actually thought the Devils gave it their all.Moose really did stand on his head and Ben unlucky with a couple of their goals. I've just been reading Steeltalk and pretty much to a man they are saying that that wasn't a four goal game. They are taking it though as I'm sure we would but in reality it was just one of those games. I've got my tickets for Wednesday and looking forward to it. We need to win three periods of hockey and if we do that we are going to be close.

kristian

Made the long trip up to Sheffield yesterday and if you could have a rubber magnet the moose had it last night had a blinder and add to that hit bar/post x3 it all adds up.
Devils played a lot of games lately and traveling all adds up to if you include this weekend its 6 games in 10 days?(may have miss counted but its not far off)
Maybe its time to juggle the pack a bit give someone a rest ( who i don't know)

Mazzoak

I heard the same from some who went up, the score should’ve been our way. Honestly cannot wait for the return leg, gonna be a massive game, will show who’s has the skill, grit, determination, heart to pull the win.

Hedd Wyn John

I heard the same from some who went up, the score should’ve been our way. Honestly cannot wait for the return leg, gonna be a massive game, will show who’s has the skill, grit, determination, heart to pull the win.
I think the Devils can certainly win the second leg, but to overturn a 4 goal deficit it would have to a barnstormer & the Stelers would need a mare. Nevertheless I shall be there at the IAW cheering the Devils on.

I didn’t think we played badly. Bounces didn’t go our way. Two PP and a SHG plus a bad deflection against us. We hit the pipes three times. That’s sport. Some days it’s ours other days not
Nice to have a bit of perspective for a change, instead of the usual "we were awful", "we were outmuscled", etc. That was only the 3rd defeat in 2 months - sometimes you'll lose, even if you play well, especially away to the likes of the Steelers. We were in a similar situation against the Blaze in that 2007 final, so let's stay positive - a fast start with the crowd behind them, and they could still pull it off

kingmo19.1

FEAR NO, yee doomsdayers! .... This isn't over.

Anyone remember when Blaze came to town leading 3-0 after the first leg of the final!

Couple of quick goals in the first period and its game on.

It may well be the best home game we see this season as to win, we HAVE TO come out flying.
NEVER HAS IT FELT SOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD TO BUMP ONE'S OWN POST !!!!!!
THANK YOU.