Coventry Blaze v Cardiff Devils - Sun 28 Jan 2018 - League - Fo 5:15pm - Chat/Updates

tim78

8-0 plus add in 2 major penalties by the best players for review.. makes for a good start to next weekend (ignore the wednesday hump)..

Slartibartfast

What a great game. Coventry have some great players but just haven't quite got the depth that the Devils have. I thoroughly enjoyed both games over the weekend. Well done again Devils and thank you Steelers.

august04

Another valuable 2 points tonight against a struggling Blaze team going in the other direction in the league. And other games have gone our way too again. A critical 2 weeks ahead which will shape our season. Play the right way and we can have this thing wrapped up again, sooner rather than later.

ASHIPP

Well done Devils. A great away result. Conserve some energy and move on to Wednesday. Just keep chipping away, focussing one game at a time.

A shout to a hard working Blaze team who made the Devils work for both those results this weekend. Blaze have some players to be admired - and a netminder who was fantastic in both games.

Last edited:

BostonBart22

Period 2
Sheffield Steelers - Andreas Valdix - (Hooking), 2 MIN, 5:14
Belfast Giants - Sebastien Sylvestre - (Illegal Check to the Head), 2 MIN, 8:00
Belfast Giants - Sebastien Sylvestre - (Playing(Misconduct)), 10 MIN, 8:00
Belfast Giants - Spiro Goulakos - (Roughing), 2 MIN, 8:00
Sheffield Steelers - Matt Marquardt - (Roughing), 2 MIN, 8:00
Sheffield Steelers - Andreas Valdix - (Hooking), 2 MIN, 12:38
Belfast Giants - Brendan Connolly - (Illegal Check to the Head(Major)), 5 MIN, 19:44
Belfast Giants - Brendan Connolly - (Playing(Game Misconduct)), 20 MIN, 19:44
Belfast Giants - Brendan Connolly - (Fighting(Major)), 5 MIN, 19:44
Sheffield Steelers - Jonathan Phillips - (Fighting(Major)), 5 MIN, 19:44

Looks like Sylvestre only got 2+10 , I thought it said game earlier but Connolly chucked out ...maybe DOPS will add a couple more games to them both for “checking to the head”
think these 2 players got previous as well , so 4 or 5 games each maybe...

Devil94

Don't think this weekend could have gone better for us. 4 points and pretty much every other result going our way.

We might not have played our best hockey but we can still grind out the wins. When Belfast have a day off, they lose 8-0..

Results going our way, massively needed at the moment. We are going to win trophies this year, but honestly, we are the best of a crap league.
Not sure I follow you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think I do. Thinking back to this time last season, the league was very tight at the top; it was between us and Sheffield and Belfast were nipping at our heels too. We had some great battles with the Steelers and rode our luck in quite a few of those games to win. That's how we ultimately won the league with games to spare. This season, it doesn't seem to be as tight/competitive at the top. We're run away leaders but is it mainly because the other arena teams are a bit weaker and less consistent this season? I think so personally.

Devil94

Just because there's one team a few points clear at the top doesn't make it a bad league. Less exciting maybe, but not 'crap' as Electro said. Would people argue that the Premier league is a bad league just because Man City are running away with it?

I think it actually proves it's a stronger league as teams like Fife and Guildford have been challenging and taking points off the top teams.

And we are nowhere near the end of the season yet. Two weeks from now we could be level on points with Belfast and out of the challenge cup. Would you then say it's a better league then?

Yes 'crap' is not the right word and whilst I don't agree it's a 'crap league' I do think it's a less competitive one than last season so far. You're 100% right that a lot can still change and you never know we could well hit a bad run of form again. For me though games have been less competitive week in week out than they were last season (even ignoring the standings). I can't think of many games where we've been pushed right to the edge over 60 minutes this season. Last season I felt like I was on the edge of my seat a lot more and to be honest I find that much more enjoyable. I enjoyed Saturday's game a lot for that reason even though we didn't play as well as we have been.

Devil_Abroad

Yes 'crap' is not the right word and whilst I don't agree it's a 'crap league' I do think it's a less competitive one than last season so far. You're 100% right that a lot can still change and you never know we could well hit a bad run of form again. For me though games have been less competitive week in week out than they were last season (even ignoring the standings). I can't think of many games where we've been pushed right to the edge over 60 minutes this season. Last season I felt like I was on the edge of my seat a lot more and to be honest I find that much more enjoyable. I enjoyed Saturday's game a lot for that reason even though we didn't play as well as we have been.
Seriously? I just watched two games against a ‘poor’ side according to quite a few on here where we struggled to cross the line. We could have lost both those games. I also hear the terminology we were very poor and they still couldn’t beat us; how about they played a style they knew would make us struggle? Is that the sign a of poor side? I have seen many similar games for us this season. I’ve been to Guildford twice and yet to see a win. Then I constantly hear from coaches and GMs around the league, including the players, at how vastly improved this league has become over the last 2 or 3 years. Can they all be wrong?

Granted Braehead have slipped but then maybe the new coach underestimated the league? With eight weeks to go any team in the top 7 can still win this league.

Rubbish league? I don’t agree.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mazzoak

Maybe crap means more to others. Devil94 what the hell are you on about.......
Sheffield/Belfast highlights, interesting result.

ASHIPP

I'm struggling to see how it's not a competitive league this year. A quick look at the league standings coloums shows how many games have been won/lost in overtime/shootouts. One night a team can lose to an immediate rival....and them achieve a landslide victory against another rival the very next night. A low ranked team can beat a much higher ranked team on any night. Don't think I've been as conscious of that sort of unpredicability for a long time in the League.

Certainly makes the next few weeks exciting.

I don’t think it is less competitive , Storm and Flyers have improved, the 2 new teams have more than shown they’re worthy of playing Elite league and Panthers were excellent in ECL.Giants and Steelers are 2&3 in league table and are waiting for us to slip up , don’t forget Giants are still playing catch up with home fixtures !

I think a lot of the reason last season seemed more competitive and exciting was the fact we were going for our first league title in years! After having had near misses in recent years and as we got closer to finally achieving our goal fans were on edge most weeks worried that we might fail when so close to the title !

I think a lot of the reason last season seemed more competitive and exciting was the fact we were going for our first league title in years! After having had near misses in recent years and as we got closer to finally achieving our goal fans were on edge most weeks worried that we might fail when so close to the title !
Yes I think this plays a big part in it; maybe I'm not finding it as easy to support the favourites after so many years of urging on the underdogs and really enjoying the upset victories! Big games coming up now between the cc semi final and the Belfast double header. These games will prove the point one way or another and I'm hoping for gritty, edge of your seat encounters!