2017/2018 Rumours & Offseason nonsense

See I’m the opposite I would prefer vallerand and ackered than go to a different league and get someone terrible who doesn’t perform.

At least we know what where getting with those two

Temme

Thankfully we don’t believe in not signing from within. Otherwise we would never had seen the likes of
Adams, Batch,Bowns,Darling, Finnerty, Richardson, Ware, Campbell,Jarvis,Matulik,Moore, Hervato, Doucet, Faryna, and Myers, to mention a few.
Prehaps my post should read "recent history" or "Lord era"
"Adams, Batch,Bowns,Darling, Finnerty, Richardson, Ware, Campbell,Jarvis,Matulik,Moore, Hervato, Doucet, Faryna, and Myers" - i'll try break this down a little bit, seeing as i have time to :)

Gerad Adams - we signed him for his 5th season in the league. Both of the guys we are talking about are fresh meat and one good year hardly means their jerseys are going to be in the rafters.

Josh Batch - We signed Josh batch from the now dissolved Empire Junior Hockey League, he had never played in the EIHL prior to playing for us.

Ben Bowns - I'll concede this one, we took a punt on a prospect and it paid out.

Dion Darling - I wasn't a fan of the Devils during his spell with us, but looking at Elite Prospects he played a season & 13 games for us, and blew the league away with 6 goals, 4 fights (according to DYG). Again i can't comment on what he brought as i wasn't there :)

Ryan Finnerty - 4th year EIHL player when he reached us.

Mark Richardson - 3 years prior with Bracknell in the BNL, but from what i can see we were his first EIHL club(?) probably wrong here but i'm going to take a punt and say Bracknell did not make the jump up to the new EIHL, so Richie signed with a 'top flight team' after the BNL ceased to exist & Bracknell went to EPIHL.

Mike Ware - again wasn't a fan back when he played so all speculation - but a 4th year player when he reached us

Derek Campbell - he played 27 games for us, don't see this as a triumph personally(?)

Wes Jarvis - probably my favourite D man for the Devils. A valid point made.

Craig Moore - a 3rd year player, but we've only seen him 11 times, so can't comment properly.

Zach Hervato - an 'ok' player for what he was needed. Poor mans Tylor Michel, but did a job for us i guess.

Guilluame Doucet - 3rd year player, but again, an exception to what i said, quality player.

Justin Faryna - He's been alot better in recent games than at the start of the year. Still feel like i'm waiting for the guy who beasted us constantly at Dundee to come, but if I hadn't seen him play previously i'd be impressed with his play, so no complaints & hopefully stays around a while longer. But 2 years in the league already before reaching us.

Matty Myers - He played for Cardiff in the EIHL before anyone else, so not sure how he makes this list.

Ackered and vallerand are undoubtedly quality players, but I only seeing flashes of them once a month. May be a different story in the big boy conference.

Out of interest, are there many players for the 'big' teams in the EIHL that have been total flops after productive years in the other teams? :)

Ps. to answer your question, yes i could talk about hockey all day :D

Vallerand is top scorer in the league with 24 goals so he must be doing something right.

Ackered has an impressive 33 assists.

Both of these are ahead of any devils player.

A name no one has mentioned but he is number 1 points scorer in the league is Jon Dunbar of Guildford.

Temme

Vallerand is top scorer in the league with 24 goals so he must be doing something right.

Ackered has an impressive 33 assists.

Both of these are ahead of any devils player.

A name no one has mentioned but he is number 1 points scorer in the league is Jon Dunbar of Guildford.
Just to add discussion onto this - i'm not disagreeing with your facts :)

Ackered is logging absolutely insane minutes for Guildford, i'd expect a good points return for a player that seemed to spend full 2 minutes of almost every powerplay taking shots.

Ackered has 14 goals, 33 assists for 47 points in 36 games (insane...)

HOWEVER -

He also has 10 of those goals on the Powerplay and 20 assists on the powerplay. Effectively 30 out of his 47 points are on the powerplay!!!!!!
Add in his 2 short handed points (1g, 1a)

This means in 33 games he's "only" produced 15 points at even strength. - 3 goals and 12 assists...

Andrew Hotham - 35 games, 13 Goals, 26 assists.
17 of those points are powerplay points (6 goals 11 assists)
1 points is shorthanded (assist)

Meaning of Hotham's 39 points, 21 of them are at even strength (7 Goals, 14 assists)

-also remembering the 'weaker conference' factor for Guildford. We play more tougher games than they do.
give me Hotham 100 times over please.

I was not expecting that when i started looking deeper into it.

Temme

Dunbar -
GP 35
G 12
A 40
TP 52

2PPG
17(!!) PPA
0/0 SHG/A

= even strength points

Martin
GP 35
G 18
A 28
TP 46

7 PPG
13 PPA
0/0 SHG/A

= even strength points

:)

Temme

No one mention gettig rid of hotham.

We can have him to replace Paris or maybe Louis?
It's merely a simple metric to illustrate that when recruiting players total points is close to irrelevant.

If we were to sign Ackered, his points production wouldn't be close to what it is now - we have the number one powerplay in the league by an absolute landslide (29.68% is unheard of) so Ackered wouldn't get a look in ahead of Hotham, and probably not Fournier on the other line either.

Who said we were getting rid of Hotham? confused...

Wagstaff

Vallerand has been fantastic for us, put him on any of our lines and he will score goals, a complete natural.
He took a mid ice hit and was out for a few games and hasn’t been quite the same since so I guess he’s still nursing an injury but I hope we can retain him next year

ASHIPP

See I’m the opposite I would prefer vallerand and ackered than go to a different league and get someone terrible who doesn’t perform.

At least we know what where getting with those two
Actually, that could also have been said about several past Devils' players who were signed from other EIHL clubs....and had disappointing seasons at the Devils.

It doesn't always follow that those skills and production transfer to another team. Injuries, illness, change of coaching, chemistry with team mates, general happiness at new club are just some influencing factors.

Foxy

Prehaps my post should read "recent history" or "Lord era"
Mark Richardson - 3 years prior with Bracknell in the BNL, but from what i can see we were his first EIHL club(?) probably wrong here but i'm going to take a punt and say Bracknell did not make the jump up to the new EIHL, so Richie signed with a 'top flight team' after the BNL ceased to exist & Bracknell went to EPIHL.

Matty Myers - He played for Cardiff in the EIHL before anyone else, so not sure how he makes this list.
But of interest, are there many players for the 'big' teams in the EIHL that have been total flops after productive years in the other teams? :)

Ps. to answer your question, yes i could talk about hockey all day :D
Bracknell actually won the old Superleague before sliding down the leagues. Richardson went form them to Nottingham for a few seasons before coming to us.

Matty Myers went from Cardiff to Nottingham and then back to us.

Quite a few players have come back as a disappointment . One that springs to mind is Jeff Ulmer. He played for us for a few games in ISL days before leaving. Brilliant player. Went to Braehead i think last season and was released. Totally different player.

Wannabe2

Jeff Ulmer was pure class his stats with us were
GP.9 Goals 9 Ass 9
He left us to play AHL,then DEL and Swiss league. Always remember a face off in Nottingham, ref dropped the puck and Ulmer hit it as it hit the ground, straight into the Panthers net, amazing goal.

Ocko

he did 2 seasons with us 05/06 & 06/07 before joining Nottingham 07/08 :)
He was actually with Basingstoke before Nottingham before coming back.

Basingstoke in the EIHL went under, Richie was a forward who needed a club and the only team to offer him a deal was the Panthers - but as a D man. The rest is history and he's been a D man ever since.

Last edited:

Wannabe2

How lucky for us was that, In 10 yrs time I can see Ritchie’s shirt in the rafters, this young man really is Mr Dependable. Love watching him play, smooth as velvet one true professional, Every team is this league would give a arm and a leg for a Ritchie. Actually Ocko Ritchie was with Nottingham before Basingstoke
Nottingham 07/08 08/09 77 league games
Basingstoke 08/09. 17 league games
416 league games for Cardiff so far, look forward to the next 416.

Ocko

Yeah, but was with Basingstoke prior to his last stint in Nottingham, before coming back.

Cardiff > Nottingham > Basingstoke > Nottingham > Cardiff