Cardiff Devils v Fife Flyers - Sun 21 Jan 2018 - League - FO 6pm - Chat/Updates

Totally agree on the Reddick call. On the Fife breakaway Reddick clearly had his arm across his chest impeding him so an interference call or holding call would have been fair enough but where the hell did slashing come from. I also thought one or two of the calls against Fife were harsh.
I agree. Just tend to remember the Devils call rather than oppos.

Temme

Not being there and waiting for the full game upload from Icetime.tv before being able to see it and comment - just one thing in the above to clarify - the net can be off it’s mooring as the puck crosses the goal line as long as it happens after the shot and the net was displaced by a defenceman - otherwise no goal. So if the net was displaced by Fife player before puck completely crosses the goal line then no goal - so maybe the net was not displaced which is why it was taking them so long to decide with man in the crease? Will be interesting to watch the full game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I remember in the old rink we scored a goal into a net that was at virtually 90% from it's normal point as it had clearly been dislodged maliciously moments before Kurka(i think?) shot the puck, the whistle hadn't blown for the net being off and the goal was given.

I think they may have been looking at whether the net was dislodged or if the Fife player had merely "lifted" it up and back down, as it seemed to fall back to where it initially was - typically i haven't seen many goals disallowed when the net is just off the surface, but then it all comes down to interpretation of "off the moorings", as the pegs are ~4 inches deep either side they can be lifted without actually moving!

davew

RULE 95 – GOAL CREASE AS IT PERTAINS TO SCORING GOALS
i. If a skater of the attacking team is pushed, shoved, or fouled by a
defending skater to cause him to be in the goal crease when the
puck enters the goal net, the goal will be allowed unless the attacking
skater had sufficient time to get out of the goal crease.

ii. If the puck is loose in the goal crease and put into in the goal net by
the stick of an attacking skater, the goal will be allowed.
iii. If an attacking skater is in the goal crease at the moment the puck
crosses the plane of the goal line and his position in no way affects
the goaltender’s ability to make a save or play his position properly,
the goal will be allowed.
iv. If a goaltender is outside his goal crease and an attacking skater
prevents the goaltender from returning to his crease or prevents the
goaltender from playing his position properly while a goal is scored,
the goal will not be allowed, and the attacking skater will be assessed
a minor penalty for interference.
v. The goal crease is three-dimensional and all crease rules pertain not
only to the blue ice but to the air space above the blue ice to the
height of the crossbar.

RULE 98 – SCORING A GOAL/GOAL FRAME OFF
i. If a defending player displaces his own goal frame and the opposing
team scores a goal, the goal will be allowed provided:
1. The opponent was in the act of shooting prior to the goal frame
being displaced;
2. The referee determines the puck would have entered the goal net
had the goal frame been in its normal position.
ii. A goal will be awarded if a goaltender has been removed from the ice
for an extra skater and a teammate displaces the goal frame from its
normal position when an attacking skater is on a breakaway.
iii. The goal frame is considered displaced if:
1. Either of the two goal pegs is not in its respective hole;
2. It has come off one or both pegs;
3. One or both of the goal posts are not flat on the ice.

iv. For all other goal frames which do not utilize pegs, the goal posts
must be flat on the ice and on the goal line at the time the puck enters
the goal net for a goal to be allowed.
v. If the position of the goal net is altered in any way during game
action, play will be stopped if the goal net does not return to its normal
position. If the goal net returns to its normal position, game action
will continue.
vi. No goal will be allowed if the goal frame is displaced before the puck
crosses the plane of the goal line unless provided by Rule 98-i.

It was obvious even in live play that there was no goal on the play. The fife player was checked into our net, and although he tried to not dislodge the net his momentum causes the net to lift but return to what looked its normal position, the ref would have seen clearer as he was right on the goal line. The player expects the ref to whistle the play dead - he thinks the net is off its moorings. He unfortunately doesn't make an attempt to exit the crease - he is not impaired by an opposing player from leaving, and as he stands there the rebounded puck is sent into the net. No Goal.

Kipper

That’s the thing, though...from the same footage shown on the big screen once the decision had been made, it was clear that the net was well off its moorings. So unless they were trying to determine *how far* off its moorings, I don’t really see why it needed to take so long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The definition on the GLT technology is nowhere near as clear as the TV footage

I know my opinions on here are controversial ...but I have to say how I thought we played a good game last night, and I never doubted that we would take the W! One thing that was nice to see though was that we weren't taking any crap and actually stuck up for ourselves for a change - long may it continue!

In regards to the refs, it was a bit shakey from them, but I do sympathise with them on the disallowed goal call. The footage they had was nowhere near as good as the icetime tv footage. To be fair to Hicksy, he knows the rules like the back of his hand, so it may have been difficult given the variable factors (moorings/player in crease) and footage provided.

*Can't believe I just sympathised with a referee*

Mazzoak

Disappointed that the team failed so badly in Nottingham, but at least we didn’t embarrass ourselves against a poor Fife team.

Wannabe2

Nottingham was a bad day at the office, although we won 2 periods, and when Panthers play as they can, not many will win there. As for Fife they have beaten every team in the league except Giants, you don’t do that with a poor team. When we play as we can most teams will appear poorer than they are.

Hedd Wyn John

Nottingham was a bad day at the office, although we won 2 periods, and when Panthers play as they can, not many will win there. As for Fife they have beaten every team in the league except Giants, you don’t do that with a poor team. When we play as we can most teams will appear poorer than they are.
They certainly aren’t poor but I saw nothing special from the Flyers yesterday.

matbur

Really good interview there I thought. Lords face just lit up on that last question about the final stretch, he's just bursting to get the job done again this year and deliver another title.

That third line of Faryna - Crowder - Haddad is just quality right now. Also really impressed with the Strachan and Reddick pairing - is it me or are they getting a lot more minutes now?? (Wish we had time on-ice stats available).

ASHIPP

Agreed. Fife are not a poor team. A look at the stats section on Elite League website shows that their pp and pk stats are better than many teams, Isles is a great goalie and they have had a good run of wins (including against so-called arena teams.

Perhaps our team will get back to 100% wins in the coming weeks (Giants managed 3 consecutive nights and full points.)
Can't afford many more disasterous episodes like p1 in Nottingham.