Cardiff Devils v Guildford Flames - League 14/01 @ 18:00 - Chat/Updates

Wagstaff

Benti isn’t a goon, that should account for something. Was an unlucky, messy hit, no malice. Feel sorry for both players, Benti wouldn’t want to hurt anybody intentionally.
Not being a goon means nothing, Brett Robinson is a guy who gets bashed from pillar to post every game, hardly ever takes any penalties makes a messy hit on Andrew Lord L and he’s sat in the stands for a few games, you couldn’t wish for a less goony player. Shoulder to shoulder got paquette a ban, fall over a guys leg he leaves hanging out, describe it as accidental and ban Kloz!
Sorry but New DOPS is as bad as old DOPS, I have zero faith in them.
I apologise that all the examples are from my team, it’s not that I’m whinging that it’s unfair to us, it’s because I only really watch my team highlights

Wagstaff

They haven’t announced any of the decisions from last weekend yet, this is unusual and they are running out of time.....
Does seem a bit suspicious, so I’d say there’s something going on, but you can’t usually challenge the referees decision only supplementary punishment added by DOPS

Devil_Abroad

Does seem a bit suspicious, so I’d say there’s something going on, but you can’t usually challenge the referees decision only supplementary punishment added by DOPS
As they haven’t even announced what’s being reviewed (confirmation of automatic reviews and those requested) maybe their communications officer is ill - flu maybe?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wagstaff

Of course DOPS May have downgraded as a part of their own review but not announced it publicly

Temme

I didn't think in a million years they'd make that call, but it is (for me at least) the correct one.
In black and white terms - Stewart has the puck and is eligible to be hit, Stewart has his head down staring at the puck, Bentivoglio comes in and drills him in the shoulder, Stewart suffers a concussion due to whiplash effect.

I don't want to be horrible, but if there is someone to blame for the injury it lies with Stewart, granted the angle Benti skates from - Stewart would never see him coming, but this is still a legal check.

Very unfortunate that there is an injury on the play & speedy recovery to Liam Stewart, but a big pat on the back for DOPS for me in making the correct call.

Correct decision, from where I was sitting it never looked like a head shot to start with.
Great open-ice check on Stewart, who was understandably dazed and good to see that the
‘first response’ from Myers made sure that there was no immediate choking.
Great that no lasting damage to Stewart and great news for Sean who really isn’t that type of player!

Have Hope#35

Not being a goon means nothing, Brett Robinson is a guy who gets bashed from pillar to post every game, hardly ever takes any penalties makes a messy hit on Andrew Lord L and he’s sat in the stands for a few games, you couldn’t wish for a less goony player. Shoulder to shoulder got paquette a ban, fall over a guys leg he leaves hanging out, describe it as accidental and ban Kloz!
Sorry but New DOPS is as bad as old DOPS, I have zero faith in them.
I apologise that all the examples are from my team, it’s not that I’m whinging that it’s unfair to us, it’s because I only really watch my team highlights
FWIW I agree with you on the Kloz ban... That's the first one I've looked at from New DOPS and thought that's really harsh! Wasn't the Paquette one under old DOPS? I can understand why you'd feel that one was harsh as a supporter of them but I don't recall the footage on that hit being particularly good.

Regarding this incident I'm glad that DOPS have been brave enough to make the correct call and I'm also glad that they didn't throw the officials under the bus. We don't know exactly what angle of view they had and it was a big hit, my immediate thought was that it was clean but I knew they'd throw Benti out of the game as it's a reactive response!

drainage

I didn't think in a million years they'd make that call, but it is (for me at least) the correct one.
In black and white terms - Stewart has the puck and is eligible to be hit, Stewart has his head down staring at the puck, Bentivoglio comes in and drills him in the shoulder, Stewart suffers a concussion due to whiplash effect.

I don't want to be horrible, but if there is someone to blame for the injury it lies with Stewart, granted the angle Benti skates from - Stewart would never see him coming, but this is still a legal check.

Very unfortunate that there is an injury on the play & speedy recovery to Liam Stewart, but a big pat on the back for DOPS for me in making the correct call.
Agreed didn’t think it was a match but expected it to stand brave move to cancel it , also credit for comments re refs. Didn’t think it was a match on night but as a Devils fan guess I could be accused of bias !

ASHIPP

Massive boost for the Devils that Benti is available. Hope this is used to really fire up the Devils for a very, very tough weekend against a Scottish team in form and immediate rivals, and a Nottingham team who not only are desperate to get back their confidence and disgruntled fanbase, but feel they could take tomorrow's game..

Bentivoglio is not a malicious player and would not have deliberately intended to injure or mis-hit.. There is an onus also on the opposition player to be aware of incoming player motion and play safely for himself. Very glad that Liam Stewart is ok and will be back soon. But accidents can happen at any time - that's the nature of this sport.

Wagstaff

FWIW I agree with you on the Kloz ban... That's the first one I've looked at from New DOPS and thought that's really harsh! Wasn't the Paquette one under old DOPS? I can understand why you'd feel that one was harsh as a supporter of them but I don't recall the footage on that hit being particularly good.

Regarding this incident I'm glad that DOPS have been brave enough to make the correct call and I'm also glad that they didn't throw the officials under the bus. We don't know exactly what angle of view they had and it was a big hit, my immediate thought was that it was clean but I knew they'd throw Benti out of the game as it's a reactive response!
Yes Paquette was old DOPS but my comment is the whole DOPS system that I don’t have much confidence in, old and new, however it’s heartening that they are prepared to back the on ice decision but rescind the call in this case as you guys all seem to agree it was non aggressive, let’s hope for some consistency in this respect in the future