Cardiff Devils v Guildford Flames - League 14/01 @ 18:00 - Chat/Updates

Earnie

In my view , and everyone I have spoken to, that was not a check to the head.
However I expect the referee's decision to stand and with luck Benti will not get any extra!

Gospel

Another good performance from the Devils and good individual performances to. Good to see Loius back on D looking to be match sharp & taking no nonsense. Crowder too looked sharp. Confidence is high amongst the guys & it was funny to see Mo get so animated & wanting to drop the gloves!

Benti was having a superb game until the hit. Initially i thought it was a legit hit, but i dont think it was. It wasnt to the head but he hit Stewarts shoulder blade more or less & i think DOPs will change it to checking from behind. I hope they dont increase the ban but it wouldnt surprise me if it did especially if Stewart is injured.

Good weekend with Flyers losing to the Chavs. Roll on next weeknd and lets get a revenge smashing of the Flyers.

I thought the Devils were great last Wednesday against the Flames, tonight we proved they ain’t our bogey team,
Can we play them every week. Crusty the clown must be gutted

jimmy snels

Really enjoyed that again. The change in style last week or so is obvious and is better to watch. Much more intense checking game and last night it was very entertaining.
Couple of talking points for me:
*the hit from benti to me looked like he blindsided him so i expect a short ban. I would like to see a replay to confirm. It also wasnt lost on me that stewart had dished out a hard ropey looking check on reddick only a minute before. Not the type of hit you'd associate with benti at all so may have played a part.
*if i was Guilford id have been annoyed at darnell as well. He went from calling very little in first to the most picky referee in the world. It was shocking imo the contrast between periods and he continued to then call any and everything. In a four man system he called 90% of the penalties which tells its own story.
*loved the bownsy chants on that pk. Must really help him stay focused. That was the loudest chanting of the night.
* great to see morrisette at the minute. I wondered early doors this year if it was a season too long. I hold my hands up, it wasnt!!! He really really wants it.

Ocko

Interesting points mentioned about Benti's hit. Happened too quick for me to be certain. How people can be so sure it was clean amazes me. But, what I will say on it was that Stewart was knocked out and seeing stars. You don't get knocked out through your shoulder, it has to be your head. Any head injury will see him sit a few games.

Johnnybravo1927

Interesting points mentioned about Benti's hit. Happened too quick for me to be certain. How people can be so sure it was clean amazes me. But, what I will say on it was that Stewart was knocked out and seeing stars. You don't get knocked out through your shoulder, it has to be your head. Any head injury will see him sit a few games.
Fully agree with the above. Completely out of character for Bentivoglio and therefore I dont think for 1 minute he set out to injure anybody but if its deemed reckless then he will sit a game or 2

wildthing74

Back in your box Guildford after your cockiness last weekend :)

Must admit I thought the hit looked bad and my immediate thoughts was here comes a ban. In real time it looked worse than the replay on twitter and the picture images but I think we will be looking at a ban especially as Stewart had to leave the game.

Dominant first period again and I love how we are coming out all guns blazing and it's catching teams on the hop and must rip apart their game plan there and then.Its impossible to keep that tempo going for three periods but we looked relaxed when leading now as opposed to a few weeks back we looked nervous and edgy so this good form is clearly building guys confidence.

Important we have Murdy Ice and a little rest for Bownsy as this run coming up of games will no doubt define our whole season.

Really wish we had Moore and Batch healthy too but we are lucky to have Rutkis and Piggot stepping in so we can run a 4th line where possible to conserve some gas in the tank.

Delighted with where we stand and all we can do is keep winning and the pressure is on anybody looking up to try and catch us.Stressful few weeks ahead.

Devil94

Benti's hit the only downside to to a good game and a great result. Think he'll sit 4 games for that, which is a shame as he's recently been playing his best hockey whilst in Cardiff.

august04

It doesn’t have to be your head that’s the point of impact to cause “seeing stars”. It’s quite possible that a hit to the shoulder can cause a whiplash type injury, which can result in a concussion, when the head moves violently in the other direction. Saying that, at the time I thought it looked a bad hit but it’s difficult to comment further without seeing the video.

Temme

Obviously it would be wrong to speculate on how Stewart was doing at the time but very well done to Matty Myers on being the first one to remove his gumshield, helmet & call the trainer over.

Made a split second decision amongst the scrum that could have potentially avoided something very serious.

All the best to Stewart and good luck with his recovery.

For me the hit was more messy than malicious, and blindside rather than a check to the head, but these are the types of hits they are trying to stamp out of the game so i'd expect a 3-4 game ban.

Gazza272

It doesn’t have to be your head that’s the point of impact to cause “seeing stars”. It’s quite possible that a hit to the shoulder can cause a whiplash type injury, which can result in a concussion, when the head moves violently in the other direction. Saying that, at the time I thought it looked a bad hit but it’s difficult to comment further without seeing the video.
Having had the opportunity to look at the Slow mo, the principal point of contact is not with the head. But as you say, the whiplash effect took place as Stewart was not braced for the hit.

Benti didn't time it very well. And I think the Match will be upheld, but changed to checking from behind.

Devil94

Thought at the time that Strachan's goal was just an easy tap in, but having just watched the highlights he gloves the puck down and then bats it in just before the line. Not a bad player is he.

E.D.S.

It a player can get one game for firing a puck deliberately at an official then it’ll be interesting to see what Benti might get for that hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob Batch

Another 'Pro' performance from the team. Great attitude all round. Benti's hit looked worse than it was, slightly awkward body positions without malice. I think we are the team to beat if anyone wants silverware.

Have Hope#35

It a player can get one game for firing a puck deliberately at an official then it’ll be interesting to see what Benti might get for that hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hit's to the Head have been getting anything from 2-4 Games this season! Although it's awkward I actually don't feel the hit is to the head... I felt the same on the night. I don't feel the league like that kind of hit even if it's borderline legal so I do expect him to get something (I'd hope no more than 3). Benti is a little unlucky as he catches Stewart off balance and completely unsuspecting which sends Stewart into a spinning motion which results in him also hitting his head on the ice. Glad he was ok and I guess we'll await the DOPs ruling!