Cardiff Devils v Guildford Flames - 10/01 @ 19:30 - CC QF - Chat/Updates

E.D.S.

Well there was definitely physicality tonight. So many positives....Sensible physical play. Checks were finished and the fore checking was immense. I really enjoyed it. The attitude was first class.

Great to see the likes of Louis, Asselin and Ulmer really hitting form.
What about our Captain? I think I wrote before that he just seems to be stepping up in the big games like he used to. You’re never sure what kind of player will come back after an injury but Jake is having a stand out season.
I think I’ve waxed lyrical enough about Myers now but just once more.... wow!! What a shift and what a game. He’s a menace and must be so annoying to play against. He just won’t budge when he’s in front of the net, he wins a ridiculous amount of face offs which is crucial for us and relieves the pressure and he just doesn’t know when to give up.
Lord seems to be bossing the bench. His communication looks first class. He seems to pick the right times to speak to players. It’s never straight after a shift it’s usually when they have calmed down and can take on board the next instruction or some praise. He’s doing a stellar job.
Hotham looks so settled now. How he and Fournier can play with big cigars in their mouth is impressive. What I liked about Hotham last night were the poke checks and the work to break up plays. We get carried away with his offensive capabilities but it was his defensive game that stood out for me against a very quick Flames team. We didn’t seem to get caught out as much as we have done previously.
We seem to be coming together when it matters. Big games ahead but we really couldn’t be better placed.
Great game lads. Well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wannabe2

E.D.S well written mate, that sums it up in a nutshell, some of that hockey last night was glorious to watch, if these lads can continue playing like last night, then we are surely in for one awesome second half of the season. That was just pure joy to watch last night, and I take my hat off to everyone involved.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS INDEED.

Slartibartfast

Really impressed by Guilford. They have some of the best players in the league. They are skilled, fast and hard working. But so are the Devils. What showed through last night was our experience, composure, depth and leadership. There were some beautiful moments in that game. Myers disrupting their powerplay, Jakes baseball goal, Asselins breakaway goal. In a high scoring game like that you could easily miss the brilliant defensive plays we made. So many little poke checks at the right time, some great shot blocking and taking the body. It was an all round great performance. Even the refs were good. Same again against the Steelers please.

ASHIPP

The Guildford Flames are a highly skilled team who never give up. Their weakness is their defence, and their difficulty in breaking down the Devils' solid team defensive play. Flames have two gifted offensive defencemen in Ackered and Craige to add to their sensational first line players. But our offensive defencemen have so many more dimensions to their game as demonstrated last night. Whilst Ackered is certainly talented offensively (and it's fair to say that he runs the show when on the ice), he is a sneaky, dirty player - witnessed several swinging sticks and across check from him plus deliberate face punch on our #27 last night. They play with an immature arrogant swagger - talented they may be, but not sure that attitude would fit well at our club. Give me Vallerand, King, Levesque, Bloodoff or Gaulthier anyday- all team guys.

Last edited:

Have Hope#35

The Guildford Flames are a highly skilled team who never give up. Their weakness is their defence, and their difficulty in breaking down the Devils' solid team defensive play. Flames have two gifted offensive defencemen in Ackered and Craige to add to their sensational first line players. But our offensive defencemen have so many more dimensions to their game as demonstrated last night. Whilst Ackered is certainly talented offensively (and it's fair to say that he runs the show when on the ice), he is a sneaky, dirty player - witnessed several swinging sticks and across check from him plus deliberate face punch on our #27 last night. They play with an immature arrogant swagger - talented they may be, but not sure that attitude would fit well at our club. Give me Vallerand, King, Levesque, Bloodoff or Gaulthier anyday- all team guys.
I didn't think it was a deliberate punch to Haddad... he actually tries to prevent Haddad from entering the zone and gets his hands up high and his pushing motion results in what looks like a punch in the face! He did hit Haddad on the chin and immediately turns to Haddad to apologise and accepted the penalty. There's no doubting he's a very good player and we won't know how he fits in with his team mates in the dressing room?

It was an excellent game and I think the team have proved what they're capable of when required... In games gone by we've won whilst looking like we've had more in the tank if required! Yesterday they knew they needed to win and executed the game perfectly!

Last edited:

Gazza272

Akered's actions stemmed from Frustration. We checked him all night long and didn't give him much room to breathe. He was getting tired and frustrated and sent a few shots back. Last night highlighted that Guildford need more Grit to protect those guys, a Faryna in their team would have given them valued protection last night.

BostonBart22

Fantastic result for the Devils - worked hard and got the reward.

Matthew Myers' solo defensive display in p1 set the tone and galvanised the play from the team. Outstanding - and standing ovation for him was deserved.

Our Guys hit the Flames where it hurt the most - on the scoreboard. With no injuries and no suspensions. That's all that matters.
Yes great play by Matt but why oh why was this play not on the highlights as it was the play of the game..confused .com

E.D.S.

Yes great play by Matt but why oh why was this play not on the highlights as it was the play of the game..confused .com
I’m a huge fan of the ice time crew but guys you’ve dropped a massive one here. There must be a reason why that clip wasn’t included. It couldn’t have been simply over looked.
That was the play of the game. Come on now team sort it out. Myers deserve that shift to be in the highlights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

voth26

I didn't think it was a deliberate punch to Haddad... he actually tries to prevent Haddad from entering the zone and gets his hands up high and his pushing motion results in what looks like a punch in the face! He did hit Haddad on the chin and immediately turns to Haddad to apologise and accepted the penalty. There's no doubting he's a very good player and we won't know how he fits in with his team mates in the dressing room?

It was an excellent game and I think the team have proved what they're capable of when required... In games gone by we've won whilst looking like we've had more in the tank if required! Yesterday they knew they needed to win and executed the game perfectly!
I saw Akered turn to Haddad and apologise, as he skated to the penalty box you could see him talking to the ref and nodding his head as if to say yeah that was a pen. Fair play to him not often you see a player do either of those things

I saw Akered turn to Haddad and apologise, as he skated to the penalty box you could see him talking to the ref and nodding his head as if to say yeah that was a pen. Fair play to him not often you see a player do either of those things
Maybe he wants to keep his employment opportunities open for next season and realising that Cardiff has a huge IKEA and an unlimited supply of Swedish meat balls then he' best keep in Lordo's good books just n case

Seriously good player Akered is I would love to see him in a Devils shirt but equally love our D and unless somebody' chooses not to return then ????

voth26

Maybe he wants to keep his employment opportunities open for next season and realising that Cardiff has a huge IKEA and an unlimited supply of Swedish meat balls then he' best keep in Lordo's good books just n case

Seriously good player Akered is I would love to see him in a Devils shirt but equally love our D and unless somebody' chooses not to return then ????
Hopefully all the D return along with all the obvious players, but plenty time to worry about that in the off season, for now lets just concentrate on winning the next game period by period, shift by shift

Devil_Abroad

Hopefully all the D return along with all the obvious players, but plenty time to worry about that in the off season, for now lets just concentrate on winning the next game period by period, shift by shift
Not for me. I hope the current D remains. We now look a far far better team. A balance between offence and defence and a PP that looks much better. For me anyway. (I would love to see Ackered though)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thought Ackered and Yadlowski were impressive for the Flames, and to their credit I think they (the Flames) have been a huge plus for the league this season. As others have already mentioned though, that first period was great from us - Myers' effort on the PK was unbelievable, it was nice to see his effort recognised from the crowd - and overall the team looked like one that was determined not to lose / slip up against their trouble team.

Second period wasn't great, but I think Guildford must've had something of a rocket in the first break as their defensive cover was a lot better at closing our zone entry down, and the highlight of the 2nd was definitely seeing Fournier sit Ben Davies down every time Davies went in for a bite.

The only downside for me was at the very end - credit to Guildford's fans for making the trip up on a Wednesday night and staying vocal throughout, but as our boys were doing the rounds one of their fans was giving them the finger with both hands. I get that frustration might creep in sometimes, but I didn't really see any excuse for that kind of an attitude. Aside from that guy, their fans were a credit to their team.

On a happier note, it's great to see the team firing like they are now. Benti and Asselin's physicality for top line players is great to see, for me that's a real sign of buy-in; Mo's really hitting the straps now and coming back to the form pre-injury, which is great to see for him; everybody seems to be on the same page and without waxing too lyrical about this team it looks like Lordo's recruitment has paid off yet again - the intensity of play, in terms of understanding in attack and defence, was a pure pleasure at times.

jimmy snels

My favourite game in literally months. We hit everything all night and what do u know.... the fans got really engaged!!! I really enjoyed it and hope that style (a cardiff devils style) continues.

That myres shift was epic. Big kill that.

Did hicks call a penalty all night? Was a better refereeing performance all around imo.

Louis on D i like. Stay there please!!