Fitzgerald ban extended

Wannabe2

Thread starter #1
Zack Fitzgerald has had one extra game ban added to his already 4 game ban, making it 5 games. This was for apparently winding up the Home fans as he was leaving the ice.

chris592

Zack Fitzgerald has had one extra game ban added to his already 4 game ban, making it 5 games. This was for apparently winding up the Home fans as he was leaving the ice.
I've seen players do this before surprised he got a ban. Although what annoyed me was he clearly in my opinion went after and deliberately checked Spiro to the head, then celebrated afterwards. So yeah suck it up Fitzgerald.

Temme

In the interview with AVFTB he says how it wasn't intentional and just mistimed etc, but then as a guy is down on the ice and knowing full well you've hit him in the head to celebrate?

Extra game deserved.

Have Hope#35

I would assume the hand gesture to the crowd is the main reason for the ban... this happens more regularly than it should but never gets requested! I can only assume that this is why Dave Simms was so het up with Belfast on twitter recently!?

Rempel16

This is all starting to get a bit ridiculous now. Jamtin gets a ban for throwing his glove in the air?

DOPS is really trying to sanitise the game in this country - well the issue with that is that the teams (as a whole) are not good enough to rely on their hockey skill alone to bring fans in. Teams need characters as the quality of hockey isn't good enough. We, as a league will never be on a par with the top European leagues so i don't understand why DOPS are being allowed to make some of the decisions that they are making.

Players will be banned for celebrating goals next.

I want to see full rosters going at it, not depleted rosters who play reserved hockey because they need to conserve energy. I'm glad we don't play Sheffield during their run of bans.

This league used to be stacked with characters, players you loved to hate. Struggling to think of one in the league this year - even Noble is quiet.

James

Administrator
This is all starting to get a bit ridiculous now. Jamtin gets a ban for throwing his glove in the air?
Nope, he got a ban for repeatedly crosschecking a guy in the back and the head then made 'an unacceptable hand gesture' before throwing his glove. I suspect if he'd just thrown his glove he'd be playing this weekend

chris592

Gotta agree with James here. I don't think the league is becoming sterile, I just think deliberate checks to the head and repeated cross checks to the back of the head are being clamped down on.

Both Fitzgerald and Jamtin got what they deserved for two reckless acts.

It annoys me when I see fans say "this is destroying British ice hockey" it's simply not. It's bringing British hockey inline with the rest of the civilised hockey world, where checks to the head are heavily punished, because we know how serious brain injuries can be.

I'm sorry that this might impact Joe Bloggs in row C who loves to see a good check to the head. But player safety is paramount, and its a good thing the league are handing out serious suspensions.

Wannabe2

Thread starter #8
Don’t think anyone enjoys watching a check to the head, just the same as no body enjoys watching a player get injured. Good legal big hits are of course another kettle of fish.

Rempel16

Ok, I stand corrected.

And no, I don't condone headshots - what a ridiculous comment.

Last post from me. I am feeling myself coming across as negative and that's not the idea. Thanks all, been fun.

Let's go Devils!

chris592

Certainly wasn't suggesting you condone headshots. That was aimed at the minority on Twitter or another forum who have either wished serious injury or said a certain player deserved it. That is totally unacceptable. But I much stress very much the minority.

But no I certainly don't think the league has got soft. Good big clean hit love it, a good fight love that too. A check to the head or cross checking someone multiple times to the head, yeah not what anyone wants to see.

Anyway think both bans are fair enough.