Cardiff Devils v Nottingham Panthers - Sun 7 Jan 2018 - League - FO 6pm - Chat/Updates

Gospel

Devils were absolutely brutal for the first 12 or 13 minutes, scored 4 goals and completely outplayed the Panties. Got a bit sloppy conceding the 2 goals but overall Devils did more than enough to deserve the 2 points.

Panties for me looked a shadow of the team they were at the start of the season & i expected them to come out banging and whacking everything after going 4-0 down but they didnt. There big guns just didnt look interested most of the time.

I love a good physical game and a fight but tonight was not the night it was needed. Panties should have come out looking for it but they didnt so no need for us to go looking either.

29 points out of the last 30, team chemistry looking much better, PK & PP much improved so lets keep this puppy rolling.

E.D.S.

It was probably one of the most boring game to watch in quite some time. You say that "it's not in Lord's makeup to initiate the physical stuff as a coach ". Really ? You can't be serious ? Then who's job is it ? It is the coach's job 100% and his responsibility to get his players to "finish their checks." It's a coaches job to pay attention to the details and this is an important detail. I agree Bowns wasn't rammed, it clearly showed on the replay that his skate got hit by a Panther's players skate. For this team to be successful, they need to "finish their checks." Tonight there were a few of the Devils defencemen stick checking and forwards not finishing their checks on the forecheck. No one is asking a player to hurt someone with a check but if they continue this they are going to get their lunch handed to them. All in all, a win is a win but as a coach you look at how you won and I suspect there are many things that Lord will shore up before Guillford comes to town.
I think you misinterpreted my message mr angry. I was making the point that he doesn’t seem to like doing it not that it wasn’t his responsibility to initiate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob Batch

Hi Rob... apologies if this has been covered elsewhere.... how’s Batch junior? Is he still injured?

I honestly don't know exactly the injury or return date. It seemed minor at first but healing is unpredictable. I feel awkward asking Josh as I know Lordo prefers privacy on these matters. Sorry.

Devil_Abroad

Yes it's nice winning but players coming here doing what they want is something I'm not used to as a devils fan.
We are getting hammered every game sly hits etc loads of injuries and no retaliation.

Something tells me now that it's lordo and bordeleau was right in saying he was on a tight reign and couldn't do his job properly.

Bowns got sticked in his mid section by a panthers player falls to the ice hurt no one done anything.

They also tried crashing the net and Richie put himself in the way so they shoved him in to the post he goes of injured and guess what our players do f all again... It's embarrassing.
Think I must have been watching a different game or that Icetime.tv deliberately changed those plays

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

E.D.S.

I honestly don't know exactly the injury or return date. It seemed minor at first but healing is unpredictable. I feel awkward asking Josh as I know Lordo prefers privacy on these matters. Sorry.
Understood and thank you for the response. Shame there isn’t more certainty over his return. Must be driving him nuts.
Thanks Rob

Devil_Abroad

For the many on here moaning and moaning about ‘no physical response from the team to protect our players’ let’s discuss the dressing room for a minute - any issues there? I don’t here of any. The team again seems to be enjoying themselves and each other. If they really thought they were being bullied I’m sure we’d see in their reactions to each other on the ice. Sorry, but I don’t see it. They’re playing smart hockey, being physical when needed, and are winning. I’ve stood at the plexi at MK and Guildford and to say we don’t throw checks is baffling - I definitely wouldn’t want to be on the end of some of those checks. We have not built a team like that in Manchester - and thankful I definitely am for that. We’re a team full of guys with skill, are tough and go to the dirty areas, even the high end skilled guys, and a coach that has found a way to win games in this league. Though sometimes they frustrate me like in the 3rd period in Guildford, they’re extremely good at getting the job done - winning games. Let’s hope they continue and that other teams start beating Fife.

Outsider

I think you misinterpreted my message mr angry. I was making the point that he doesn’t seem to like doing it not that it wasn’t his responsibility to initiate it.

Not angry at all, just amazes me that you would even suggest "that he doesn't seem to like doing it" The statement makes no sense .

Anyone who thinks we weren't bullied tonight is a happy clapper as far as I'm concerned because it was plain for all too see. After the first 10 minutes the game changed, yes we might have won, but we got battered physically. Mark Louis is the only player who took a stand and tried to impose a physical game, along with Matt Pope who played a great game too. - Strachan impressed me from what I saw, hopefully more of the same from him. Just hope Lord doesn't make us play like pussys for the remainder of the season...

*edit before anyone says, no dressing room issues, but no coincidence that there's more injuries than ever the more pussy like we play*

Mooney#16

Just to get this straight. Devils played like pussies and got bullied and scored 5 goals. Panthers played more physical and bullied the Devils and scored 2 goals. And we're saying Devils should be playing more physical. Got it.

As I said previously the problem might not be the team but fans expectations of what they want to see to feel justly entertained. The Devils are winning. Lordo has coached them winning tactics. I'm afraid to me it seems to be as simple as some fans not enjoying Devils current style of hockey despite the victories. If you're bored or disinterested its vote with your feet time as I don't see it changing anytime soon given Devils just returning 29 of a previous 30 available points.

People on ere seem to think because we are winning we can't be physical!!
Your either new to the sport or don't know what yor on about..

Yes we love winning but we also have a job of looking after our players... For goodness sake where not asking for fights and a mass brawl.

All we ask for is a little reinsurance.
If I'm reddick Martin or one of the small guys and I get hit on the sly or dirty. I damn bloody right want one of my tougher guys to stick up for me have a word go lay a huge hit let tem know thy can't do it again.

This is not happening right now and our players are getting injured.
Come on guys can't u see that????

E.D.S.

Not angry at all, just amazes me that you would even suggest "that he doesn't seem to like doing it" The statement makes no sense .
Is it really that hard to get your head around that may be Lord would prefer a power play than an individual to take matters in to their own hand? We’ve already heard of players allegedly being on a “tight leash”. I don’t know if that’s right or wrong and I’m not saying I agree with it. I’m merely putting forward an opinion as to why.
In a Coventry game thread I pretty much wrote exactly what you did that players didn’t seem to be finishing checks when they had the opportunity and thought it was odd. I don’t understand what is so perverse about it for it not to make sense.

Devil_Abroad

Anyone who thinks we weren't bullied tonight is a happy clapper as far as I'm concerned because it was plain for all too see. After the first 10 minutes the game changed, yes we might have won, but we got battered physically. Mark Louis is the only player who took a stand and tried to impose a physical game, along with Matt Pope who played a great game too. - Strachan impressed me from what I saw, hopefully more of the same from him. Just hope Lord doesn't make us play like pussys for the remainder of the season...

*edit before anyone says, no dressing room issues, but no coincidence that there's more injuries than ever the more pussy like we play*
First of all I’m not a happy clapper, well I don’t think I am as I’ve never been called that before and I have no idea what you mean by it.

I’m throwing this out there with regards to why the game changed after ‘10 mins’ (though after our first goal Panthers woke up) - the coach decided that being up by so many he changed the tactics?

So Louis wasn’t the only player to make a stand? Pope helped too?

Not sure I’ve seen cats with skates, definitely not seen them play hockey.

As for more injuries than ever before being down to the lack of our physicality? I’ll leave this here for you; Injuries to Faryna, Haddad, Louis, Batch. I don’t follow the argument.

Devil_Abroad

People on ere seem to think because we are winning we can't be physical!!
Your either new to the sport or don't know what yor on about..

Yes we love winning but we also have a job of looking after our players... For goodness sake where not asking for fights and a mass brawl.

All we ask for is a little reinsurance.
If I'm reddick Martin or one of the small guys and I get hit on the sly or dirty. I damn bloody right want one of my tougher guys to stick up for me have a word go lay a huge hit let tem know thy can't do it again.

This is not happening right now and our players are getting injured.
Come on guys can't u see that????
Disagree

Either you’re complaint is that we don’t play a physical game, or that we don’t fight enough. They are totally different.

The game last night wasn’t dirty so there was no need for any fighting. In fact most of our games this season have been on the ‘clean’ side - Flames being the worst offenders. They even changed on Saturday I’m assuming because of the 2 ref system.

By the way, I’ve been following the game and Devils since 1992.

Gospel

I must have been watching a different game to some people as i didnt see the Devils get bullied in sny way tonight.

Ive always been & always will be for an Enforcer type player on a team so im not a happy clapper. Ive criticised the team earlier in the season so im not just defending the team either.

But tonight we go 4-0 up after playing fast paced & skilled hockey then we sat back which i dont think was the right move so early in the game. The Panties then did nothing really to ignite their own team. Nobody threw a massive hit, nobody got in the faces of the Devils players, in fact the Panties would skate away with their heads down when the whistle blew. The Panties were the team who should have tried to instigate things but they didnt. Being 4-0 up there was no need to wear ourselves down by throwing unnecessary hits, starting fights or sly dirty slashes.

As i said im quite happy to see a riugh game but last night was not the night it was needed.

2pts, top of the league will do nicely for now.

Im pretty sure that if & when we need to fight we will. If not i will be moaning just like a lot of other fans.

Ibbz9

The Devils are NOT getting bullied. If they were, players like Martin, Benti, Reddick, Bowns etc would be well off their game. They are not. The physical play against them is not phasing them.
As some have said; the team are sitting pretty in the league. Why would they change their approach? The same last season; not too much rough stuff but plenty of silverware.
The whole "Devils Hockey" that people refer to is history. The game has evolved, coupled with the fact the ice surface is bigger and offence zones increased, the style of hockey seen each week at the BBT and WNIR has gone. Far far harder to play a consistently physical game. Far higher risk too.
For all the physical and tough teams the Devils have had over the years, the trophy cabinet is pretty empty. Whilst it was great to watch Voth or Ware lose their temper, and dish out their version of justice, more often than not it led to a PK and suspension.
Currently the team is sitting top and doing very well. Lord/Elson are judged by the trophies and performance. They cannot be faulted for that.

E.D.S.

It’s a real devisive debate this one. I’m definitely not a happy clapper and neither am I all for an enforcer type role. I do miss the toughness and the no nonsense approach from the past and at times I do miss the physicality in this team. I’m also under no illusions that if we were in mid table obscurity and heading for a trophy less season then I’d probably be banging the physicality drum too. We’re top. I like it that way and that just about edges the physical and ‘entertainment’ aspects but it’s purely personal opinion.
Some can live with the entertainment of lifting trophies (that’s me), some want both trophies and physicality (I’ve not seen that since each team had a couple of enforcers a few years ago) and some come just for fight night. Each to their own.

What top trumps it all for me is that we have a competitive team, in the sense that we have a chance to win things each season in the last 3/4 years. I like that.

It’s personal opinion. It’s only Lords and the owners opinion that count really. I believe we sell out because of the team winning not because people want the physical entertainment. I also believe that’s the reason we win more than we lose. If we’re selling out and winning, from a business and success perspective you can’t get better than that. It ticks both the Owners and Coach’s boxes.

Temme

Devils were absolutely brutal for the first 12 or 13 minutes, scored 4 goals and completely outplayed the Panties.
I have to be honest here, i thought we held on for the first few minutes, Panthers seemed all over us but before you knew it we'd scored 2, the puck just bounced right and completely deflated Nottingham who started off very decent. We were lucky to not be 2-3 down before scoring but for Bowns in net!

They have a team of -very- talented players but can't find their groove, no chemistry anywhere.

Sauve is a patch of the player that came here earlier this year.

Scoring 4 goals in the opening seconds like that will kill any team off though & fortunately for us with a big Guildford cup tie coming up we could to a certain extent just shut up shop.

Bowns had a fantastic game last night & Panthers PP looks absolutely woeful.

James

Administrator
There was a time when a win, any win against Panthers was a major cause for celebration. Their team is misfiring at the moment but they still have a ton of quality and if given the chance will punish you. They weren't given one and fun though scoring 4 on them in the first ten minutes is it did kind of kill the game. Happy with the win and despite a flat second period, I came away entertained. Yes I miss the occasional fight, and big hits. When was the last time we saw a big open ice check (almost got one tonight till Strachan realised he didn't need to finish it) or a good hip check into the boards that leaves the opposition spiraling? I'll tell you what I don't miss though, playing short-benched most of the season due to injury and suspension. PKing 1/2 the game because players have to resort to hooking and slashing as they are too tired to compete from double shifting. Seeing our players suspended for 12 games where the instigating Sheffield player gets an apology from the league and medals all round. Not knowing if we'd have a rink to play out of. Not knowing who our owner was. Knowing who our owner was and wishing it wasn't. Building for the playoffs from December on. Fundraisers, booster clubs, 100 clubs, bucket collections. Going 5(?) years in a stretch not winning a single game away at the NIC.
Winning 50% of your games made the victories all the sweeter yes, its not better than the feeling when your team lift a cup though. I can see why people are saying they miss the big checks and rough stuff but around 1500 people turned up for that in Cardiff previously and 3000 turn up nowadays, we're top of the league (steelers 4th, panthers 7th, blaze 9th) and we have a new rink and stable ownership. Yeah I miss the 'oldschool' hockey but I wouldn't change it. Enjoy it whilst it lasts, we won't be challenging like this forever.