17/18 season overview

Temme

Thread starter #1
Hallo.

every year i seem to write one of these out of boredom & excitement for the new season!

Let's take a look at the EIHL for 17/18, starting with the teams

Coventry Blaze:
What can be said about the Blaze - a team that promises to be almost unrecognizable from last years disaster.

Kevin Nastiuk looks a great find in net, certainly one of the top goalies in the league this coming season.

However as with previous years, Coventry look very weak at the back end. Patterson certainly looks a capable D man, however looks to be the only true first liner on that team. Kevin Noble will undoubtedly be thrown in on that first line - as a player I like Kevin Noble, always someone to watch & plays a pretty well rounded game... but is he a first line D man? Is he heck. Running with 3 brit D men all under the age of 22 is borderline madness & a recipe for disaster. Fingers crossed there's an additional import to come.

Coventry look a decent team up-top thus far, Dingle, Courchaine in particular look great players, however at the back they will struggle this year, (haven't we said this before?)

Projected: 7th

Edinburgh Capitals:
Probably the surprise package of the year & not necessarily in a good way. In reality nobody has any clue how this team will pan out. a combined 363 games KHL experience through the team & a couple of real good finds it seems. Early doors Caps signed Cazzola - who has every whiff of a player Belfast/Sheffield will be after by Christmas if history tells us anything!
In D'Orazio they have a proven D man at this level & other than Vorobyev there is a massively changed roster, as would be expected from such a veteran coach.

In reality Edinburgh could finish anywhere in this league, as the players signed would not have been on anyone's radar this off season. These last few signings for the Caps could be crucial, however there are concerns certainly over their goalie, extremely young & largely unproven on any stage.

Projected: 9th

Braehead Clan:
A team that so much is expected of but very little is delivered.
Starting at the back end, Ryan Nie in net. Backstopped his DEL2 team to relegation 3 out of 4 seasons. Appears to be an "ok" signing, but not someone that jumps out as anything other than ordinary.
in Oslanski on D they have signed a 25 year old who is through his hockey playing career -145 (according to EP), however an ECHL all star in 14/15 & in Cameron Burt appear to have signed a very good D man.
However as a team with a rumoured big budget, Cescon is a player that they should be looking to improve upon & rolling 2x U23 brit D men is a big no no for a team looking to achieve this season, hopeful for additional firepower at the back for certain for the Clan.

Braehead always appear to have major firepower up-top, and this year looks to be no exception with Brace, Embach & Brooks appearing to front their top unit; and with the addition of Jacob Doty appear to be a seriously no nonsense team, expect some entertaining games when the Clan go 3-4 down against some of the big guns.

Projected: 6th

Cardiff Devils:
A wise man once said to me "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" (ok he probably wasn't wise but still...) and any player signed from a team that completed the "Nottingham Grandslam" (that's 3 out of 4 trophies...) is a good addition to the team.
Keeping the core of a team that won so much can only be a good thing & adding firepower where needed.
Replacing Batch & S. Hotham on D with Reddick & Paris appears a strong move in undoubtedly the best D core in the league & combined with a GOOD goaltender, proven at this level is a recipe for victory.
Other notable additions up-top - Matt Pope added in allowing Andrew Lord to filter down to probably the third line, top scorer in the Asia league last year and a very good addition & the absolute nuisance that is Faryna added as an apparent direct replacement for Culligan.

Devils have a completed roster signed (1 still unnanounced) and are rumoured to be carrying a spare player if the right candidate becomes available.

Projected: 2nd (CC Champions) ( Gardiner Champions)

Fife Flyers:
This really is a total guess, no goalie signed, 2 full D lines missing & only a few forwards signed up, Fife sure have left it late this year, to announce the players at least.
in Moyer they have a very good experienced leader & additions in LeBlanc & Heelis look more than capable.

As with all the smaller teams in the EIHL Fife will sign a couple of good goal scorers but will really struggle down the order for secondary play.
With so much of a roster left it's a difficult one to predict, but losing Dingle is a massive blow for them.

Projected: 8th (Erdhart Champions)

Belfast Giants:
Again another team that have left their announcements rather late this season, but appear to have recruited extremely well. No goalies signed, however extremely good additions in Cole jarrett & Kevin Raine, the former appears to be a very capable scorer with Raine a solid shut down guy. Adding Martinelli back to the roster is more than surprising as personally i thought he struggled last year, given his skating, PIMS & Points in comparison to previous seasons.
It wouldn't be a Belfast roster without 75% being well on their way to retirement and this year is no different.
A Few real studs signed in Ferland, Johner, Riley, Saviano & Sylvestre it's almost impossible to pick a top unit.

Belfast still have a little while to go but this year i think have the roster to win some major silverware, however with 2 more players allowed Brits over 25 & not a single U23 contract inked - will they run 4 lines?

Projected: 4th ( POFW Champions)

(Second half to follow :) )

Temme

Thread starter #2
Guildford Flames:
(i forgot about these so this is slightly out of alphabetical order!)
Firstly, welcome to the EIHL, Guildford. Judging by your signings so far you're going to hate it here.

Great to see Brian Stewart back in the league, what a character, hopefully he's sobered up by early September after his POFW antics!!!
It's worth noting here that I think Guildford have MASSIVELY underestimated the standard in this league.
To start with their D - Carl Ackered looks a seriously good find at any level on any roster. And that's where the positives end.
Nechala, Lundin, Jones & Phillips look completely out of place in this league (3 of these came from their EPIHL roster) and although Yadlowski & Craige do not appear too shabby (based on +/- alone), they do not fill me with any confidence do a job other than 3rd line.
With 7 D men signed up, Guildford have one, possibly 2 D men that are capable of top 4 minutes. Couple that with Brian "the tantrum" Stewart in net and it should be a pretty hilarious season.
Guildford have signed pretty well up-top in Dunbar, Lidhammer, Lillestrom, but other than this again they appear to lack massive firepower.
I'm predicting a catastrophic blow out for Dundee this season, which is good for Guildford as it will stop them finishing stone last.

Predicted: 11th

Milton Keynes Lightning:
Firstly i think we need to forgive MK for their logo, it's awful, but it is what it is.
Fortunately MK have mostly avoided the trap Guildford fell in to, other than probably their most important player.
YOU'VE BROUGHT YOUR EPIHL GOALIE INTO THE EIHL. What are you expecting?!
I may be completely wrong with this one (Bowns was EPIHL before Hull took a chance, right?!), yes, but Bowns was also <22 at the time i believe? This guy may be decent in net, who knows, .933 at any level is very good though.

On D we see Nickerson, Hudson & Paul Phillips, the two latter being very very good points men at this level, Hudson was a definite favourite devil of mine & in Nickerson we have a big guy that can certainly play a little bit and skates very well. I'm not so sure about Pompi, but as a 3rd line D man he should do a job.
A few clever signings up top for MK (geographically they are one of the most desirable teams for sure) in Doucet, Kearney and for me one of the signings of the off season for any club in Verreault-Paul they look to have some decent fire power.
I can't see much secondary scoring on this roster at the minute, but MK certainly won't embarrass themselves this season.

Projected: 10th

Nottingham Panthers:
With Michael Garnett between the pipes i truly believe we have the best goal tender on paper in the EIHL ERA. He's straight out of 9 KHL seasons posting above .900 in all but one. Couple this with a spare import goalie (whom himself looks EIHL standard and then some) and we have the best between the pipes in the league. Overall Nottingham have gone with a very sturdy D core, there is nothing flashy in any of those guys but all look very solid players and very capable at this level.
Bringing back Jeff Brown is massive - what a pest he was last year & Evan Mosey returning will please many, another great player. In Zack Phillips we have a player that appears to be playing well below his ability, another superb signing & the same can be said for Mokshantsev - up and down between the KHL and VHL - WHY ARE YOU IN THE UK AGED 22?!
Adding both Derlago and Shalla Nottingham are certainly not short of firepower this year & i believe will have one of their best seasons, else it's bye bye Corey Neilson.

Projected: 1st

Dundee Stars:

Oh boy.
A half finished roster thus far & no notable players from my perspective. Losing their coach and having Pacha step in means this is currently 30% of one roster and 30% of another. Best of luck to Pacha in Dundee but this promises to be a difficult season for them.
Fullerton in net - nothing exceptional at this level but also not awful. One to watch on D is certainly Riley Stadel, looks a potential gem straight out of the WHL and could end up leaving long before the season is finished given where the team will be come Christmas.
As for Offence on D? Moving on quickly...
As for Offence on F? i see very little other than a team that will struggle.

Projected: 12th

Sheffield Steelers:
Sheffield appeared to have their entire roster signed by what seemed the end of April (a tad dramatic, but still) leading for a pretty boring off season, other than some homophobic pillock who is both the best and worst thing in terms of fan insight in this league.
At the back we see the returning Moose, nothing to see here, all teams will know what to expect & a very capable goalie at this level still, certainly one of the best at his game in our league.
On D we see the additions of Ronnberg and Aarssen both of which look very good D men for different reasons, Ronnberg being a big shut down body and Aarssen already a points machine in this league.
The addition of Marquardt up top split some opinions - i really liked him at Coventry and expect big things.
It's impossible to know where to start up-top for Sheffield - Armstrong, Dowd, Fretter, Marquardt, Nelson, Roy, Valdix, Wallace - 8 players there all easily capable of being 1st line players. Perhaps the surprise here is Brady Ramsay, i don't see the need for this signing.
A very very strong Sheffield team that could easily win the league.

Projected: 3rd

ManCLANchester Storm:
At the back we have Mike Clemente - personally i liked him alot last year & he has hair to rival the original Carl Hudson (not that clean shaven, quiffed version we ended up with...) having good hockey flow is one of the most important parts in playing hockey and this guy ticks that box. (lol) with only 2 import D signed Manchester have a long way to go. Neither of these guys look exceptional or rather pose any real obstacle for the top forward in the league either. Some quality signed up top in Auger, Beca, Byers (what a signing he is by the way), Hammond, Hanson (expecting big things from him) & Moffat. Rosehill also joining is brilliant news as whilst he took too many dumb penalties this year, he is a great skater and contributed well at Braehead on D. Obviously he suffered a horrific injury last year but Rosehill staying in this league is a big statement and he certainly offers something big for Manchester.

Projected: 5th (Patton Champions)

Thanks for reading, if you bothered to stick it out this far! :D

Temme

Thread starter #5
Superb article. The usual excellent standard you are known for
Jeez thank you very much.

I'd write a bit more but honestly i get an urge and start typing, alot of this above is ramblings and i haven't planned any proper structure. Perhaps i'll do this as more of a regular thing where i find time!

Interesting read... Don't want to disappoint you but Clemente now looks like this: https://twitter.com/Mcr_Storm/status/869993948000821248
This is awful news, give it a few games and we'll have to pick someone else's hair to compliment!

kettdevil1

Interesting read.... I would shuffle a few teams round but I like the overview, my one sentence thoughts are as follows....

Belfast - hopes killed by their schedule?

Braehead - underachieving becomes an art form

Cardiff - is the hunger sated?

Coventry - the start of a slow, upward curve?

Dundee - Pach needs help

Edinburgh - nothing would surprise me

Fife - they'd rather be home in Kirkcaldy

Guildford - how wide are Stewart's shoulders?

Manchester - bruises galore in Altrincham

MK - primed for midtable

Nottingham - explosion or implosion?

Sheffield - never write off the orange

Finny

Is there a reason why you've done this a month before the start of the season when there are still so many signings to be made/announced?

Temme

Thread starter #9
Interesting read.... I would shuffle a few teams round but I like the overview, my one sentence thoughts are as follows....

Guildford - how wide are Stewart's shoulders?
Love this post, particular highlight is above, i think you could put a Stewart next to a Stewart and they're still going to struggle...

Finny

Didn't he mention boredom and excitement?
Are you bitter that he beat you to it? ;)
Bitter?
No. Just confused.

For example, if I'd written a preview a week ago I'd have said Coventry would finish below MK and Manchester. But two superb signings later and they should win their conference.
Belfast look very strong at the moment. A couple more very good signing and I'd be tempted to make them favourite.

Temme

Thread starter #13
Asselin signed. Please amend original post to Nottingham 2nd and Cardiff 1st :)
Asselin has been signed for a while and without being too "i know something you don't know", as i hate that as much as the next man ... i already knew he was returning.

I wish i'd have waited a day so i could have written how Belfast's goalies are an utter shambles compared to how well they've recruited elsewhere...

Devil_Abroad

Asselin has been signed for a while and without being too "i know something you don't know", as i hate that as much as the next man ... i already knew he was returning.

I wish i'd have waited a day so i could have written how Belfast's goalies are an utter shambles compared to how well they've recruited elsewhere...
Surely you didn't know about Luke as well? No 1 now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Temme

Thread starter #15
So seeing we we're appoximately half way through the season, i thought i'd bump this up so we could all have a laugh/chuckle at how it's turned out so far..... :eek:

Both fife and Guilford have small fast free scoring rosters back stopped by top netminders their budgets although unknown would probably not be the highest in the EIHL, is this the new blue print for success ? speed vs physicality, fore check vs fast breaking skaters.

Thoughts please.

tim78

It's the way the game appears to be going, emphasis made with the current calls refs are making to reduce physicality.

Just had a look and Guildford seem to have the upper hand on results over Fife. I wonder how good they both are on the powerplay when they can't play breakout hockey. (hopefully won't bring too much memory back from the Fife turn around in Nov).

People complain about the lack of physicality in our game these days but I bet Guilford are not complaining when they take apart the opposition, when the season is concluded Fife and Guilfords achievements will be hard to ignore the UK game will become faster and less physical especially with new refereeing standards and credibility I for one prefer the heart in mouth situations on a break away compared to bone crunching hits.