Cardiff Devils v MK Lightning - Sat 30 Dec 2017 - League - FO 7pm - Chat/Updates

James

Administrator
Ice pad size may not have an affect on a players ability to check another player but it certainly will factor highly in their choice to do so, potentially having to travel further and place themselves out of position.

Ice pad size may not have an affect on a players ability to check another player but it certainly will factor highly in their choice to do so, potentially having to travel further and place themselves out of position.
Absolutely influences the style of play, particularly turnovers deep in the zone and how you recover. It’s does not prevent teams using physical plays, you just recruit players capable of playing in that manner. The ice pad only limits you if your unaware, l doubt coaches are unaware or if your taking a team away, say the Olympics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Devil94

You've gone from saying ice pad size has 'has no impact on anything' to 'Absolutely influences the style of play' in two posts. That's impressive.

Devil_Abroad

Lord / Pach / Finner have all said they have to take into account the size of the pad when recruiting their team - lean towards a few big physical players rather than the speed kings - but only a few. Mind you what’s interesting this year is that Finner has managed to find a few big physical guys that also have speed.

Devil_Abroad

That’s why the quality is so poor.

Sorry, lost you there. Our quality this year is off the scale (taking Paris away from the equation - cough) When I watch the skill set some of the big checking NHLers have and then see them play physical on the big pads I see no difference other than less hits partly because it’s IIHF refs and the fact players come together less as there’s more space - they still play physical when they get to the opponent. So in my opinion size of pad does affect the style of play but you can still see big physical plays.

Wannabe2

Think Paul would have to be Deaf, Dumb and Blind to have not seen any physical play in the IAW, seeing as he has the best seat in the house, and covers every game. There again he ain’t been going long, so maybe he gets a bit confused time to time.?

Mooney#16

The initial point that drew my attention was someone saying was he getting value for money this year. They said no. My query to that was is that just down to the fact as spectators are used to seeing a lot of physical play and we essentially leave slightly disappointed because we think this team isn't being physical enough. My point would be its not just the team not being as physical but also its just simply harder to make hits on the bigger ice. Final point therefore is is leaving disappointed / feeling you aren't getting value for money isn't necessarily all about the players and team but also the change in ice pad size something no one can do anything about so your disappointed feeling may not get fixed anytime soon.

Sorry, lost you there. Our quality this year is off the scale (taking Paris away from the equation - cough) When I watch the skill set some of the big checking NHLers have and then see them play physical on the big pads I see no difference other than less hits partly because it’s IIHF refs and the fact players come together less as there’s more space - they still play physical when they get to the opponent. So in my opinion size of pad does affect the style of play but you can still see big physical plays.

It was Sarcasm.

The initial point that drew my attention was someone saying was he getting value for money this year. They said no. My query to that was is that just down to the fact as spectators are used to seeing a lot of physical play and we essentially leave slightly disappointed because we think this team isn't being physical enough. My point would be its not just the team not being as physical but also its just simply harder to make hits on the bigger ice. Final point therefore is is leaving disappointed / feeling you aren't getting value for money isn't necessarily all about the players and team but also the change in ice pad size something no one can do anything about so your disappointed feeling may not get fixed anytime soon.
My point is l disagree. It’s not impossible to find hard hitting fast players who regularly play physical on big ice or implementing conditioning training for players.

Wannabe2

My point is l disagree. It’s not impossible to find hard hitting fast players who regularly play physical on big ice or implementing conditioning training for players.

This is why you are a couch coach, if it was easy to find the players you talk about, then there would be more of them about. Think your talents are wasted on here.