Thread to complain and whine about the referees

Temme

Thread starter #1
Ok maybe the title is a little misleading, i just wanted to share my two penneth on the refereeing we've seen league-wide this season, which will undoubtedly lead to arguing and petulance amongst yourselves, and everyone seems to love a good argument/moan... as you were...

Surely it's not just me that sees this, yet what i can't really understand is how the officiating 'team' hasn't seen much significant change in the last few years, yet every year time and time again it seems to get WORSE rather than better.

As we sit comfortably 6 points clear TOP OF THE LEAGUE, it seems strange to be complaining, but it seems like almost every single call/non call i'm laughing in my seat at how a qualified referee has seen something totally different. This year i've seen penalties called that i've never seen before. 10 minute misconducts being called 2 minute Abuse of official minor penalties (all of which seem to have been in our favour...).

We've won 13(??) in a row and honestly the refereeing has been diabolical and is something that seriously needs addressing if we're looking at continuous improvement.

Most NHL games the 4 man system struggles to find 4-5 penalties PER GAME, yet Darnell, Perring, Hogarth, Hicks... seem to task themselves with finding at least 4-5 every single PERIOD, yes the league style/players probably warrant this to a certain extent, but some of the stuff they call i'm in total disbelief.

Hopefully the new 4 man system we're implementing & the new referee's coming up will put a stop to this to some extent & the game can flow as it should.

BostonBart22

Not a fan of 4 officials tbh didnt really work in cup games as to non calls . think one ref is always waiting to see if the other ref is gonna call a penalty and if not then that ref will call it late or not even bother. as long as tom perring aint got a twin brother we should be ok with decisions,, sometimes anyway

With one ref, we're getting over one period of power plays most games, when two start to complete, god help us. Lets have 5 on 5 hockey, far more enjoyable.

Temme

Thread starter #4
With one ref, we're getting over one period of power plays most games, when two start to complete, god help us. Lets have 5 on 5 hockey, far more enjoyable.
I couldn't agree more.

When i watch the 4 man system with our referee's it seems a constant battle between them as to who can call a penalty first, usually leading to even more penalties because they "think" they saw something.

The most frustrating for me is when a penalty is called but when consulting the linesman the penalty is changed - either the referee saw the penalty, or he didn't.

An additional official leading to more penalties called makes perfect sense. The missed or non calls should be seen by the back official. Comparing NHL to elite league is like equating premier football to Sunday league. Skill and ability is a world apart. From what I’ve seen there is a disconnect between fan perception and league enforcement.

Temme

Thread starter #6
An additional official leading to more penalties called makes perfect sense. The missed or non calls should be seen by the back official. Comparing NHL to elite league is like equating premier football to Sunday league. Skill and ability is a world apart. From what I’ve seen there is a disconnect between fan perception and league enforcement.
More penalties being called - yes, but they're in competition to call them first almost, hogarth, hicks, darnell, perring will call penalties when there are none.

Great that this should eliminate many of the "non" calls in the game, but we'll see an awful lot more penalties called that strictly shouldn't have been.

I get that the standard is worlds apart, completely, watching the average ECHL players be EIHL stars is enough of a clue, and the luxury of seeing better teams compete vs us earlier this year in Europe who themselves are still worlds behind the NHL.

I also think that the intelligence of the players can't be underestimated, our leagues style of play (which is now changing massively) will always encourage more penalties, and the majority of the penalties that i see called are because of sloppy stickwork or lazy backchecking - something you'll sparsely see in the NHL.

Overall, i don't think fans, players, clubs or officials want to see more penalties called, just the correct ones.

Outsider

There is absolutely 0 evidence that there will be more penalties called because of the 2 man system. And there's 0 evidence that one official will wait for the other to call a penalty. Did you see the box scores of the games the last 3 days ? The same complaint was made when the NHL went to the 4 man system . A lot of the time the officials are looking at different areas of the ice and there are lots things that go on behind the play, the cheap shite, that will get called now and the players are the ones who will need to adjust to it. At the speed of the game now compared to what it was, one official , in my mind , can't see everything going on .Regardless , this needs time to develop and I see it making the game better.

E.D.S.

I think it’ll make the game better too. I’m not too bothered about ‘more’ penalties potential being called, I just want the right penalties called. Naturally human error and judgment means that it won’t be right 100% of the time but surely having an extra pair of eyes on the ice can only be a good thing - even if they are Hicks’ and Darnell’s!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jones72

...we’d be better off if they sent out Stevie Wonder and Chirrut Imwe in stripey jerseys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

youngbob

My son played for 20 years, and much of the time the crowd are screaming he says the call / no call is the correct decisioon
Any players or past players care to comment

Temme

Thread starter #12
My son played for 20 years, and much of the time the crowd are screaming he says the call / no call is the correct decisioon
Any players or past players care to comment
i've played,
and did the linesman qualification and have officiated a few games, not many though as it didn't interest me.

I think thats why watching it from the stands bothers me even more, as you can see 1000 times what you can at ice level.

kettdevil1

Going to a game as a neutral is an interesting experience....you see penalties in a completely different light and it is pretty rare that you disagree with the call, The one thing I would like to see is greater consistency. There will always be some differences but at the moment games are called in very different ways according to who is in charge so (say) Mr Schmejkal, will call the game in a different way to (say) Mr Hogarth. Now to a certain extent you are never going to get rid of that as officials attitudes to things like chirping are always going to be different, but my hope is that with the four man system in place there will be greater consistency as refs work with each other to control the game.

Temme

Thread starter #14
Going to a game as a neutral is an interesting experience....you see penalties in a completely different light and it is pretty rare that you disagree with the call, The one thing I would like to see is greater consistency. There will always be some differences but at the moment games are called in very different ways according to who is in charge so (say) Mr Schmejkal, will call the game in a different way to (say) Mr Hogarth. Now to a certain extent you are never going to get rid of that as officials attitudes to things like chirping are always going to be different, but my hope is that with the four man system in place there will be greater consistency as refs work with each other to control the game.
One of my favourite things ever is the odd occasion when a referee gets angry and every time a player opens his mouth it becomes a 10 minute misconduct.

What you've said at the end is what i was hoping to get at:

What we want to see: Referee's working together to call a game
What we will probably see: 2 Referees calling a game

Both see the same incident, one says penalty, the other doesn't move his arm as he doesn't think it is.

If an arm goes up the penalty will always stand, one referee would never say to the other "that wasn't a penalty, i'm changing your call."

For this reason i think the refereeing system will get worse, as our officials are simply not up to standard.

Ocko

With the exception of one referee, Hogarth, I haven't seen a great deal wrong with how games have been called. I'll be in the absolute minority here, but with the exception of the odd call, which you expect, I largely agree with what is called. Without being condescending, I found that reading up on the calls I thought were wrong in the IIHF rule book gave me a 'I can see why that was called' outlook. The problem with Hogarth is his consistency of the penalties he calls and his game management. He gets very flustered and never looks in control. The rest are ok.

The problem I see with officiating here is the same all over and that is with checking to the head calls. It's very subjective as more often than not some contact will always be made.

As fans we just seem to complain at every single call that doesn't go our way and it's usually the same people who shout shoot on the powerplay evertime we have the puck!