Cardiff Devils v MK Lightning - Sat 30 Dec 2017 - League - FO 7pm - Chat/Updates

Earnie

Some of the criticisms on here are untimely, unjustified and out of order. I hope that little notice is taken of the minority whose glasses are half empty.

august04

Question for the mods - perhaps it’s possible to set up a separate 'rose tinted specs'/'only positivity allowed' section within the Inferno forum for those who just want to gush praise at the team regardless? That leaves this place for those who want to debate and read other people’s varied views, whether agreeing with them or not. That might please everyone. Just a thought!

ASHIPP

Sometimes round here it's a bit like that tv programme you don't like....you can always skip it and watch something else, or turn it off completely.

The Good Guys who run this forum allow people to post whatever they feel or think....as long as it's within the Forum rules. That could comprise of thoughts, feelings, opinions, observations, intelligent debate, statistics etc. A democratic forum - we are very lucky.

OK, some members don't like what they read, that's their right. If those same people want to tell others that they don't like it, then that's their right too.

But it really is pushing it for a member to come on here and tell other posters to keep their opinions to themselves (just because said member does not like some 'perceived' negative or critical comments or observations) ....as someone tried to do yesterday. That is a right they don't have on here.

Last edited:

jenks33

Sometimes round here it's a bit like that tv programme you don't like....you can always skip it and watch something else, or turn it off completely.

The Good Guys who run this forum allow people to post whatever they feel or think....as long as it's within the Forum rules. That could comprise of thoughts, feelings, opinions, observations, intelligent debate, statistics etc. A democratic forum - we are very lucky.

OK, some members don't like what they read, that's their right. If those same people want to tell others that they don't like it, then that's their right too.

But it really is pushing it to come on here and tell other posters to keep their opinions to themselves( just because they don't like some perceived negative or critical opinions or observations) ....as someone tried to do yesterday.
Quite right. Unless an individual is using foul language or going way below the belt it’s their right to give their opinion if they don’t rate a player. It’s a forum for goodness sake. I hope these easily offended people never go on football or rugby forums, they’ll have a heart attack!

You carry on seeing the glass half empty, I'll carry on seeing it almost brimming over the top it's Soo full. Love this team, and every single player plays their part in that.
Win or loose, makes little difference to my state of mind, don’t be so foolish as to assume my criticism written here is anything other than that and l won’t assume from the time line of your post after 12 last night meant your life offers so little that your glass is 20 ml and your optimism is a frail smoke screen of your life.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Is this team good? Yes
Would I like more physicality? Hell yes.
Do I think we are getting value for money? No
Overall, am I happy with the team? Yes

I do agree with the opinions about Paris though:
Paris must be on a decent contract when you look at his pedigree, and quite frankly he's not delivering.
He has size, but he doesn't use it to hit or physically overpower opponents, so I don't think we can really count that as an attribute.
He has a great shot and loads of PP time etc. Scored once in 27 games, so again is that shot really doing anything?
What does he actually bring to the table other than average defending?

I hate to say it, but Paris was actually the player I was most excited about seeing join the team this year.
The strange thing is, I have heard ex players say how good he was when they played with him, so I have no idea why it's just not clicking for him here at the moment.

Give me Bryce Reddick over Paris any day of the week.

Gazza272

Do I think we are getting value for money? No

Joey Martin's spin and pass for Pope against Braehead not value for money? Gleason Fournier skating through defenses like a hot knife through butter not value for money? Matt Myers deft touch for Faryna on Saturday night not value for money? Ben Bowns vital last second save against Cov not value for money?

I think you get the picture.

I appreciate people like a good old ding dong of a game where the boards feel like they may fly off because both teams have brought the checking game with them. But I can't think of any other sport in Cardiff that can and has given what the Devils have for maximum £17 a ticket.

I'll go along with a point made on here earlier, we simply have more of the puck than the opposition these days. Our need to throw hits simply isn't as great as it was in the Tent days. But I am far from bored watching players we have in our roster who we are simply blessed to have.

Cherish Martin, Hotham, Haddad, Ulmer etc. Because on day they won't be playing for us and we might not be lucky with the replacements, then we may have something to moan about.....

The entertainment question of this season I a weird one.
Do I like seeing our team win? Of course who doesn'
Do I have the same confidence as last year where whether win were losing or winning I just knew we would find a way to won? No no where near
Have o been entertained? Yes and no. Will always love watching Fornier skate the length of the ice with ease, or Martin dip a.shoulder and send the defence the wrong way.
Do I miss the "crash, bang, wallop " of.past seasons? Definitely but each year the team.is built with a certain style in.mind that will hopefully win us games and therefore trophies
As a paying supporter do I feel I can convey my opinions when the team is not right? Yes that's the great thing about being supporters we all have our opinions making it great to see, read or talk to others and see what they see.

No matter what people feel, one thing I can guarantee is that a lot.of us will continue to be supporters, many of us have been through the highs and lows of this club and will contine to be ST holders. However I will always praise where praise is earned but point out failings as I see them, and hope that maybe someone can change my mind by something maybe I haven' noticed or seen.

Here is to another fantasic year.
I pray for the treble
Would love a double
Be happy with a trophy
Grateful that no matter what that I have a team that I can love and support

Mooney#16

Unfortunately this atmosphere of being slightly disappointed with the team predominantly in the physical aspect of the game is the most predictable issue there ever was going to be when moving from the BBT to IAW. Remember Devils have only actually been in IAW for less than two years. The transition in style due to the ice surface size was always going to be a rocky one in Cardiff. Devils fans have been brought up on small ice pad hockey since day 1 and expect to see a certain style and quantity of body contact in a game. It's what we have all been brought up on and assumed to be what hockey looks like. But with the modern era game and Devils now being on big ice there simply will not be as much contact. But Devils have transitioned to being a very good puck possession team and dominate teams in far other ways than physically. I get people feel slightly deflated that we aren't seeing the full blooded smash ups of yester year but its not necessarily the team or players fault but more fan expectation of what they want to see and not getting it. Fact is you might not see it because its gone. Its history. The big bad Devils are now the fast skilful Devils. But the big bad Devils didn't win a whole bunch of silver.

I can say with personal experience coming from playing in WNIR and BBT it was absolutely 10 times easier to make hits in those rinks than it is in IAW simply because you could get closer to guys especially with there heads down. The distance you have to cover to make a hit in IAW is a lot bigger and the consequence of missing a hit is also a lot bigger as back checkers have so much further to travel to cover for your error. You can't under estimate how much the blue line move into the neutral zone has had on body contact either with pinching of the point to get a winger with his head down a lot trickier. I get this feeling people mistake their displeasure at essentially what hockey in Cardiff has now become due to the IAW move with blame towards some of the players for perceived lack of effort and value for money. I think in some cases it is fans failing to adjust there hockey expectations to what you will now see in IAW than an honest lack of value for money.

I don't think I was clear enough on the subject of value for money. I meant it in the sense of our team paying a player x amount of money and then said player delivering a certain amount of value on the ice - apologies for any confusion.

Mooney#16

Oh ok. With a lack of knowledge of what the players are actually on though you'd have to agree that's a speculative argument for or against a players value to a team. If a player is out of form then its a coaching issue of do you let the guy try and play his way out of it or do you restrict his impact and cut ice time and possibly decimate his already damaged confidence. Credit to Lordo I think he likes to give guys a chance to get themselves right and with Devils winning its sort of a gamble that is paying of at present. Ice hockey given its fatifgue levels is unfortunately unlike football and rugby not exactly a sport you can just drop a guy for a game especially given Crowder is injured. Ref Louis I think its pretty apparent Lordo is trying to let him come back post injury in a fairly controlled way. Whilst yes I think you could voice an opinion that poor Paris is out of form (could even be carrying an injury) I think we could all agree we just want to see him come good rather than throw him under the bus as other lesser franchises do all to often. In that respect its more beneficial to get behind the guy and offer support than make him feel alienated as a weak link.

Bordy didn’t seem to have an issue with the ice pad.

In my humble opinion of watching big ice games, it’s a team build issue, we simply don’t have, need, whatever the reason, a team that will produce the excitement some feel is lacking. It’s never going to be addressed either, we in future will loose games or change coaching staff, that’ll be the defining moment for change to be made.

E.D.S.

How closely were you watching Bordy though?

Yes he could throw one maybe two hits a shift, but then he had to end his shift early, much to his linemates frustration.
Interesting point Finny. I’d never considered that. Given your proximity to the team. I’ve no reason to doubt you. Just goes to show how we view something can be different to what the reality is.
For me Bordy’s presence changed games, created turnovers and made us more effective but if you’re saying at times his line mates would get frustrated with his ‘hit and then leave’ shift you can understand that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He still managed to hit people and in some fans opinions intimidate opposition, his fitness level and players frustrations are all coaching/management issues to be addressed prior to and after signing. Had nothing to do with the ice pad size, which was my point.

jimmy snels

Belfast certainly had no issue hitting on the bigger ice pad. I must say its team build/make up; basically who you sign that will effect the style imo.

Devil_Abroad

From the very first game I saw Paris play my view has not changed.

His skating ability is poor and he’s therefore slow and caught out of position countless times every game. His defensive knowledge of the game seems poor which is why he pinches in far too often, at the wrong times, and regularly misses out on the puck which leads to odd man rushes. I’ve seen him throw one quality check and for a big defence-man that’s extremely poor. We’re told he has an awesome powerful shot but unless he hits the target at least 25% of the time I’m not sure that’s enough to warrant his place on D ahead of Louis. Now that he isn’t spending time on the PP opposition defences are more cautious as they don;t think we’re spending 2 mins trying to set up the shot which means our PP is far better.

I don’t understand what value he brings to a team that’s now beginning to purr a few short weeks earlier than last season; long may that continue.

As Paris failed to turn out for the 2nd period last night he may well now be injured.

We looked a totally different team from then on and when in the 3rd Louis went on D it felt like we were cruising.

Hopefully Lord will see over the next few games what a difference a solid D can have to the team and how it will feed the growing confidence they have in each game.

Here’s hoping

Wannabe2

Murrayfield Racers had no problem knocking the hell out of everyone at one time, and their ice is Olympic size, Steelers /Devils games used to have big hits at their gaff regularly, and as has already been mentioned Belfast has never been short of big hits. Myself I think it’s the team make up, more so over the size of the ice.