Cardiff Devils v MK Lightning - Sat 30 Dec 2017 - League - FO 7pm - Chat/Updates

Thread starter #1

• The DEVILS take on the MK Lightning for the first time in EIHL league action after sharing the spoils in their Challenge Cup games

With another SELL OUT at the IAW if you haven't got a ticket you are cordially invited to follow MNL as we bring you coverage of another key league game
- they are all key these days

Score predictions as always welcomed on game night to matchnightlive@gmail.com

IceTime.TV will be running a webcast, all the details can be found at
www.icetime.tv
and they can be contacted on Twitter @ https://twitter.com/IceTimeTV

Devil94

Don't think we're in a position to complain, we get Hicks/Smith every other week. It's just the way it is in this league. It won't make a difference where he is from, just like how Smith and hicks don't treat us favourably.

BostonBart22

What clown thought it would be a good idea to put Darnell in our game against a team where he’s from?? Pure biasedness
theres not many refs about so just live with it , maybe smith or hicks at mk on monday, did here somewhere that from january all games will have 4 officials, which i dont agree with, seen loads games b4 with 4 officials and when there is a dodgy call one ref may wait to put his hand up waiting for the other ref to do it, then neither put there hand up and play continues, if you know what i mean...

Wannabe2

Let’s keep our momentum going tonight lads, play as we can and we will be fine. Looks like another full house to cheer on the lads, we have a slight lead at the moment which we need to keep. MK can be very dangerous, so let’s get behind the boys and make it another good night.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS.

jenks33

Great win. This team is in a very good place at the moment and we’re playing our best hockey of the season in my opinion. A special mention for Benti and Ulmer, I think those two have been outstanding of late. To be fair Benti’s been good all season.
Only concern for me at the moment is Drew Paris. Nothing would give me more pleasure than to see him find some form but he’s a liability at the moment. I thought he could have done better for two MK goals tonight and he was also knocked off the puck very easily in the first period before verreault-Paul hit the post. I admit that this is negative but he’s killing us at the moment. I’m not suggesting we get rid of him but he’s still getting too much ice time for my liking (although his minutes did seem lower tonight). I Would much rather see Louis back there

august04

Great win. This team is in a very good place at the moment and we’re playing our best hockey of the season in my opinion. A special mention for Benti and Ulmer, I think those two have been outstanding of late. To be fair Benti’s been good all season.
Only concern for me at the moment is Drew Paris. Nothing would give me more pleasure than to see him find some form but he’s a liability at the moment. I thought he could have done better for two MK goals tonight and he was also knocked off the puck very easily in the first period before verreault-Paul hit the post. I admit that this is negative but he’s killing us at the moment. I’m not suggesting we get rid of him but he’s still getting too much ice time for my liking (although his minutes did seem lower tonight). I Would much rather see Louis back there
It pains me to see Louis floundering on the wing on the 4th line with limited shifts, while Paris is partnering Fournier and getting so much ice time. I just don’t get it at all and I’m sure in time we will lose Louis, who I consider to be one of the premium EIHL defenceman, and who would be an asset for any team in this league. It’s no coincidence that the PP kicked into life when Paris was taken off it a few weeks back. Lord might as well play himself rather than continue with Louis on the 4th. It’s the only thing that’s really bothering me at the moment with this team. Reddick is still pushed off the puck too easily for me but is now playing a simple game, looked after by Strachan, and has cut out the glaring errors that were killing us earlier this season. And he gives his all, which you can’t argue with.
A comfortable win tonight, a bit disappointed with MK, they didn’t look anywhere near as dangerous as they were when they visited earlier this season. Agree with the comments on Benti - no repeat of last year when he was criticised, been one of our top and most consistent performers this season and linking well with Ulmer at the moment. Good 2 points.

jenks33

It pains me to see Louis floundering on the wing on the 4th line with limited shifts, while Paris is partnering Fournier and getting so much ice time. I just don’t get it at all and I’m sure in time we will lose Louis, who I consider to be one of the premium EIHL defenceman, and who would be an asset for any team in this league. It’s no coincidence that the PP kicked into life when Paris was taken off it a few weeks back. Lord might as well play himself rather than continue with Louis on the 4th. It’s the only thing that’s really bothering me at the moment with this team. Reddick is still pushed off the puck too easily for me but is now playing a simple game, looked after by Strachan, and has cut out the glaring errors that were killing us earlier this season. And he gives his all, which you can’t argue with.
A comfortable win tonight, a bit disappointed with MK, they didn’t look anywhere near as dangerous as they were when they visited earlier this season. Agree with the comments on Benti - no repeat of last year when he was criticised, been one of our top and most consistent performers this season and linking well with Ulmer at the moment. Good 2 points.
That’s the difference between Paris and Reddick. In my opinion Reddick isn’t a particularly good player but he gives 100% and he’s cheap. When you look at Paris’ CV he’s probably a high earner and I don’t think we’ve had our money’s worth so far.

Wannabe2

Well done lads, 11 winning games on the trot, I watched some hockey tonight that was pure poetry in motion, guys who didn’t even have to look to know where their team mates were, and that was pretty neat. At the moment we are certainly the TEAM to beat. We most certainly will have stronger opposition than tonight, but I believe we will rise to the occasion, we have a team of winners, you don’t win 11 on the bounce with a bunch of okay guys. I don’t want to pick out guys for praise, as we are playing solid as a team. We just need to do our thing and let the other lot try to match the best team in the league.

Wannabe2

That’s the difference between Paris and Reddick. In my opinion Reddick isn’t a particularly good player but he gives 100% and he’s cheap. When you look at Paris’ CV he’s probably a high earner and I don’t think we’ve had our money’s worth so far.
Knock it off, we are top of the league, and looking pretty bloody good. We have one guy who ain’t much cop but is cheap, and another who probably is a big earner but not delivering, so with two passengers we are doing the business. Chill out mate, enjoy the ride it may be gone tomorrow. One thing I have learnt from this team is this, knock players at your own peril, at this moment in time I wouldn’t knock anyone, I mean Jesus come on 11games unbeaten, something ain’t too bad. 12 teams in the league, and 11 wishing they were us, says it all really doesn’t it.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS

ASHIPP

I find it completely baffling why Big Lou is seeing so little ice time. There must be a logical explanation for this....but the sooner he is reunited with his natural partner Gleason Fournier, the better. Especially when Gleason was outstanding but the player he was partnered with tonight performed a very average game ......and contributed to error that led to MKL 3rd goal.

I saw a Devils' team that put in a business-like performance tonight to get those 2 valuable points......but sloppy, casual play virtually gifted MKL chances to score. Infact 2 out of 3 of their goals were scored through Devils' uneccessary errors. MKL beat the Devils 5-2 in the Cup in their place - could quite easily be like that on Monday so hopefully Lordo will be laying the law down.

Andrew Hotham is an absolute leader in every sense at the moment. He performs sublime miracles when it's most needed in games, cool and controlled. Strachan is a quiet and clever unsung class act.

Credit to the amazing MKL Barmy Army who chanted so loudly you thought their team was winning. They out-sung and out-noised our crowd all night they are a credit to their club. I loved their hooters and drums.

Btw, nice touch to see so many Devils'players chatting to Douce. He was so popular with players and fans when he was on our team - and he's still got 'it'.

Last edited:

jenks33

Knock it off, we are top of the league, and looking pretty bloody good. We have one guy who ain’t much cop but is cheap, and another who probably is a big earner but not delivering, so with two passengers we are doing the business. Chill out mate, enjoy the ride it may be gone tomorrow. One thing I have learnt from this team is this, knock players at your own peril, at this moment in time I wouldn’t knock anyone, I mean Jesus come on 11games unbeaten, something ain’t too bad. 12 teams in the league, and 11 wishing they were us, says it all really doesn’t it.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS
If you read my previous post in this thread I don’t think I was too negative. I said great win tonight and this team is playing their best hockey of the season in my opinion. Ulmer and Benti are on fire. Paris is worrying me though. Just think he’s getting too much ice time and he will cost us points sooner or later. If he did turn his form around tho I’d be chuffed!

Glad I'm not the only one with the opinion relating to Paris. Whether we are on a 12 game streat or a 1 game streak, individuals are allowed their opinions. Paris is the only major concern I have and with a defender who played very well last year for us it baffles me. For a guy with a hell of a shot (not exactly pinpoint mind) why hasn' he been using it tonight he seemed to want all the time in the world with a direct clear line to the net (that doesn't happen)

Over all a solid game tonight (minus a few errors) but good to see the PP clicking and the PM working.

Wannabe2

Individuals are indeed allowed their opinions, and they all are valid, we all have our own take on things, and long may it continue. But as I have already said there are 12 teams in this league, and 11 of them wish they were in our position, so something is right for us, and not so clever for them.???????????

voth26

I said the same thing tonight, if I was Louis I'd be right right peed off. I'm hoping he's back next year but I don't think he will be if he played up front and his reduced ice time continues

I agree to the above regarding Louis. He just looks like a fish out of water at the moment. Really hope we see him back on D very soon.

Wonder if he is still carrying some sort of injury after the games he missed?

ASHIPP

I agree to the above regarding Louis. He just looks like a fish out of water at the moment. Really hope we see him back on D very soon.

Wonder if he is still carrying some sort of injury after the games he missed?

I thought the same - perhaps Big Lou is not 100% yet and they are gradually re-introducing/building him back up. He can play as a forward and maybe is covering there because Batch, Crowder and Moore are all out injured.

Hope to see him back on defence really soon. He has a great chemistry with Gleason Fournier.

august04

Lord is always cautious with injuries. No way would Louis be playing if he wasn’t fully fit, especially as Lord could play in his place too if he’s not right.