DEVILS v Blaze - Tue 26 (FO 6pm - home) & Wed 27 (FO 7:30pm (away) ) Dec 2017 - League - Chat/Updat

august04

Elsewhere, 8 losses in a row for Panthers. Quite incredible given how good they looked during the first 2 months of the season. A few shenanigans gone on at the NIC tonight in their 5-0 drubbing by the Steelers.

Rich Best

Whoever said paquette bossed us tonight must be on something! 2 class goals from him but very little physically. In fact Fournier put him on his ar*e and there was no reaction, and hotham tripped petrius into the netminder taking both out and no reaction.

Some people really do wear filtered (negative) lenses!

For 2 periods it didn't seem like we would break the deadlock but we stayed patient and some class finishing won us the game. Asselins goal from a tight angle my favourite.

Safe journey home all!

Wannabe2

Champions win games when they ain’t playing great, tonight summed that up to me. 4 point weekend so who could argue with that. Well dug out lads.

ASHIPP

Skill and mental strength win out again. Another game where Blaze pushed all the way and probably deserved more. Their defence was solid in the first two periods and it took some time for Devils to break that down.

Would out and out aggression or fighting have been the appropriate action tonight when that scoreline was so close and important for Devils to keep their focus and discipline to grind a result?

Great job, Devils. Just keep chipping away, one game at a time.

august04

Would out and out aggression or fighting have been the appropriate action tonight when that scoreline was so close and important for Devils to keep their focus and discipline to grind a result?.
Of course not, why would it? There were no real cheap shots of note that would have warranted such a response. I think you’re missing the point entirely what some people expect to see from the Devils under certain circumstances. Nobody is advocating violence or fighting week in, week out. That’s just ridiculous.

Last edited:

E.D.S.

Skill and mental strength win out again. Another game where Blaze pushed all the way and probably deserved more. Their defence was solid in the first two periods and it took some time for Devils to break that down.

Would out and out aggression or fighting have been the appropriate action tonight when that scoreline was so close and important for Devils to keep their focus and discipline to grind a result?

Great job, Devils. Just keep chipping away, one game at a time.
I don’t disagree. Skill won out today. I’m not advocating violence and an enforcer. Give me two points any day but it does strike me as odd that we don’t seem to finish our checks.... Pope, Louis seem very lightweight. No grumbles from me. Just an observation. Our transitional play is fantastic. We had a few tricky moments when I think fatigue set it but that’s been a teal plus for me over the last two years. We are more clinical leaving our Zone and entering there’s. Makes a huge difference.
Bowns played well tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

E.D.S.

Whoever said paquette bossed us tonight must be on something! 2 class goals from him but very little physically. In fact Fournier put him on his ar*e and there was no reaction, and hotham tripped petrius into the netminder taking both out and no reaction.

Some people really do wear filtered (negative) lenses!

For 2 periods it didn't seem like we would break the deadlock but we stayed patient and some class finishing won us the game. Asselins goal from a tight angle my favourite.

Safe journey home all!
Paquette went straight up the other end and scored after Gleason hit him. I thought he had a great game tonight. A menace. I don’t think he bossed it though.

voth26

In no way am I saying steelers and panthers are a benchmark, im saying games against them last season for me were hugely entertaining, whether there were fights or not the skill level and compete levels were incredible and I came away blown away by the quality of ice hockey I had witnessed. Not so this season.
But if the Steelers and panthers are playing badly and clearly they are then the games aren't going to be entertaining are they. Neither of those teams are a patch on how they were last year that's clear to everyone

E.D.S.

You can’t really criticise Louis, he’s barely getting a shift!
Yes but the shifts he’s getting he’s not finishing a check. He’s on a line that’s supposed to be high energy. Piggott is given 100% and others less so. May be lightweight is the wrong word but I’m not seeing the checks when they are there for the taking. Appreciate I’ve mentioned Louis but it wasn’t with the intention of allocating blame or calling him out. We won. There’s no blame to allocate. It was an observation.

voth26

Yes it does. I’ll put it in terms you may understand. If Jack Sparrows black pearl sinks a Royal Navy frigate, your Royal Navy hasn’t improved.

Nobody is calling for a bloodbath or out of control body checks and cheap shots. NHL/AHL players should be consistently better than players of equal age from lesser leagues.

No it hasn’t.

Rubbish. If he was in his prime he’d still be in the show. The fact he isn’t and instead is in Cardiff means he’s actually not good enough for the top leagues, unless someone “Showed him the money”, far more than anybody else did. If we loose several players next season to the NHL or l see some top scouts watching games, then I’ll agree, we have immeasurably improved our standard.

I know you play, so l won’t state your talking out of your butt hole, but with all due respect, in my opinion your over exaggerating quite a lot.

Another positive quality post from a true knowledgeable fan, oh wait no it's not it's from the most negative fickle fan, who continually criticizes the team. I've never known anyone so negative and talk out of their butthole as you put as much as you. If you don't like what's happening then do us all a favour and bugger off!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

voth26

It contradicts the family oriented night at the IAW. I wouldn’t take young kids to watch what is basically violence with crowds of people are encouraging it. Which is why l doubt we will see any change any time. The owners advocate it yet the business does not stock it.
For Christ sake put a sock in it will you, i would love to know how your such an expert on every aspect of the game. Please enlighten me on great one!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

august04

Yes but the shifts he’s getting he’s not finishing a check. He’s on a line that’s supposed to be high energy. Piggott is given 100% and others less so. May be lightweight is the wrong word but I’m not seeing the checks when they are there for the taking. Appreciate I’ve mentioned Louis but it wasn’t with the intention of allocating blame or calling him out. We won. There’s no blame to allocate. It was an observation.

The very few shifts Louis has had this past 2 games, he has finished checks. Got penalised for one in the home game from which they scored a PPG. You can level that criticism at quite a few, but not applicable for Louis, for me. He should be back on D duty anyway in my opinion but that’s another story!

E.D.S.

The very few shifts Louis has had this past 2 games, he has finished checks. Got penalised for one in the home game from which they scored a PPG. You can level that criticism at quite a few, but not applicable for Louis, for me. He should be back on D duty anyway in my opinion but that’s another story!
I was referring to tonight’s game and I agree about him being on D

jimmy snels

Well thats another cheeky little victory. Might not be the hockey I love but its dragging the points in by hook or by crook. As a previous poster said, its good the blaze are improved. A strong blaze makes the league better

But if the Steelers and panthers are playing badly and clearly they are then the games aren't going to be entertaining are they. Neither of those teams are a patch on how they were last year that's clear to everyone
Thats not my point! I believe the standard of the league as a whole has dropped from last season

Wagstaff

I think our team has potential, but to feel bullied by us is rediculous, Paquette can play hard and can fight but he’s no enforcer.
We have had a few good games but on the whole we have been pretty poor.
Your man Strachan had a chance in the Cardiff game to swing the momentum when he was giving it large to Brett Robinson who is a non fighter but then bottled it when Paquette turned up. Had he taken on Paquette it would have shown that you weren’t going to let him run the show.
Still 2 wins when we are at our best shouldn’t be sniffed at, others have fallen to us when we’ve shown our potential.

Slartibartfast

Thats for posting the highlights Wagstaff. It was a great game. While you are here I would like to ask you a question. Is the Coventry forum as negative as ours?
3 losses in a row and there were calls for players to be released
11 wins in a row and instead of praise there are moans about lack of physicality, being bullied, league not being as good, this seasons hockey being boring, top teams of last year not being as good etc etc
Is everyone in Coventrys glass always half empty also?